overall

RATINGS: 2432   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Like Hunter S. Thompson...Gonzo Imperial Porter is deep and complex. This turbo charged version of the Road Dog Porter is mysteriously dark with a rich malty body, intense roasted flavors, and a surprisingly unique hop kick. With Gonzo weighing in at 9.2% ABV, it will bite you in the ass if you don’t show it the proper respect. IBU’s: 85

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
tennisjoel (1213) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - FEB 15, 2006
Bottle. Strong raisin, nut, and chocolate aromas. A very good porter. Impressive for Flying Dog. Normally their beers haven’t made super high marks. This one is probably their most complex beer to date.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkgrenwel (602) - North Shore, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 14, 2006
Extremely creamy and rich mouthfeel. So much so that the flavor is milky/creamy before anything else. Coffee and roast come in next. Some bitterness and a full wash of hop flavor in the finish. Alcohol making select warming appearances, but never staying long. Each sip is something new. Sweetness is definitely present, playing off the alcohol, but balanced well by the hop finish. This is a very unique beer. Almost tastes like condensed milk with a touch of coffee. I really wish I had more than just one bottle of this.

Kevster (344) - Bradenton, Florida, USA - FEB 13, 2006
12 oz. Bottle: Pours thick black with a small brown head and nice lacing. Aroma is hoppy with hints of chocolate and coffee in the maltness. Has kind of a liquorish taste that is creamy and finishes with a moderate hoppy bitterness. Well balanced in the sense that it hides the alcohol very well. However, the hoppiness hides the coffee flavor I was looking for. Very Good!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
wheninhell (488) - chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2006
pours thick dark black with a nice dark tan head that leaves good lacing. aroma of coffee and hops with a hint of alcohol. bitter coffee flavor with a hoppy finish. full bodied with a creamy texture.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
puzzl (3257) - New York, New York, USA - FEB 12, 2006
Aroma was nice for a porter, with nice coffee and whiskey notes, and a touch of hops. Flavor unfortunately was way too hoppy for a porter, IMO, and didn’t have the nice rich coffee notes a proper baltic should have.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ToXBoy (9) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 11, 2006 does not count
Thick mocha colored head, which dissipated to a nice lacing. Black viscous, with a creamy thick mouth feel. Aroma of malt, coffee, but as you drink this malty brew the aromas sneak up into your nose. Malty, coffee, dark fruit, chocolate a little liquorish anise in there. The alcohol is also there but not in your face it is well hidden. Great just great beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SSSteve (3934) - - FEB 11, 2006
thick black syrupy pour. black with a small brown head. chocolate, coffee, and a touch of hops in aroma but none are strong. licorice and chocolate are first on the palate giving way to grape tasting hops and ends bitter with coffee overtones. i think a bigger malt profile with a little less hops would do this some good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
frankenkitty (1981) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2006
A viscuous pour fills my glass with a thick, black liquid under a tall, creamy, mocha-brown head. Aroma finds smoke and citrus (orange) with chocolate sugar wafer. Big alcohol when warm. Creamy bordering on syrupy, flavor is thick malts with sweet chocolate followed immediately with dark, bitter coffee. This was good, but something about it rubbed me the wrong way... as if the flavors were not as interesting as they could have been within such a deep, chewy brew. Few complexities.

<font size=-4>Purchased at <a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Chicago, IL 60638<font size=-1>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lowe1983 (1385) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - FEB 7, 2006
Pours a black color with dark brown head. Aroma is of hops, chocolate, malt, and a hint of fruit. The taste is similar with a nice finish of hops. Very good brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
highlandlad (1434) - Blue Mountains, AUSTRALIA - FEB 5, 2006
We were somewhere around Randwick on the edge of Sydney when the beer began to take hold. I remember saying something like ’I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should pour...’ And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the table, which was carrying about a hundred bottles with the tops off. And a voice was screaming: ’Holy Jesus! What are these goddamn animals?’ .... ’It’s okay, it’s okay!’ I yelled. ’It’s just my goddamn cat!’ It was almost night and we still had more than a dozen tastings to go. They would be tough miles. Very soon, I knew, we would all be completely twisted. But there was no going back, and no time to rest. We would have to ride it out. MotelPogo flicked the cap off the Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter and splashed measures into glasses. It glared at us, as black-hearted and uncompromising as the ugly motherfucker on the bottle. I snatched a glass and took a long hard look. ’You better watch yourself,’ I said to myself. ’There are limits to what the human body can endure. You don’t want to break down and start bleeding from the ears right here at the table. Not in this town...’ I could smell the porter from a yard away: a powerful mix of caramel, Cascade, Millennium and bubblegum, as rich and resinous as a Colorado pine forest. I took a cautious sniff and felt the hairs in my nose ignite. ‘Sweet motherfucking Jesus! What’s in this stuff?’ I gasped as Eczematic beat out the flames with a couple of swift blows to my face. ‘Don’t sniff it,’ he snarled. ‘Just drink.’ I took a long pull on the glass and felt my kidneys start to boil in a searing wash of chocolate, grape juice and grapefruit. ‘Ambulance! Get a fucking ambulance!’ I hollered. The last thing I remember before I passed out was Duff laughing out of control. ‘What the fuck are we doing out here on this desert?’ he shouted. ‘Somebody call the police! We need help!’ (Bottle, Duff homecoming gathering, with apologies to Hunter S. Thompson, RIP)