Flying Dog Gruit
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 2.86/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.83   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
We resurected this ancient style of beer, brewed with no hops, for our final Brewhouse Rarities release of 2012. Floral aromas greet the nose, followed by sweet and roasted malt notes with subtle smokiness and herbal tea-like bitterness. Specialty Malts: Wyermann Vienna, Roasted, Black, Smoked, Flaked Barley. Specialty Ingredients: Horehound (for bittering), Heather and Lavender (for flavor and aroma). Hops: None.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
dogfishho (588) - Bloomfield, New Jersey, USA - JAN 19, 2013
This is interesting but not really enjoyable. Tastes and feels more like tea than beer. Pretty thin and watery with weird vegetal and herb notes on top of a weak porter-like base. Meh ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
snoworsummer (2082) - baltimore, Maryland, USA - JAN 14, 2013
On tap at the brewery. No hops! That aspect was different and pretty good. The part I didn’t like was the herbal, floral taste. I have yet to have a good experience drinking beer with lavender.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dbarnold (1126) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - JAN 6, 2013
Easiest way I could describe the taste was that of a light bodied scotch ale. Pours light brown with moderate head. Aroma slightly roasty and very malt forward. Obviously, no hops. It’s very well carbonated, finishes light and clean.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
pras (441) - Maryland, USA - JAN 2, 2013
Floral aroma with a slight smoked note. Flavor is bitter, but not a hop type bitter, a bitter I have never experienced and I am not sure how to describe. It’s a sharp bitterness, but nondescript. Slightly sweet and slightly smoky. The body was very thin. Glad I tried it, but not sure I am going to rush back to it.