overall

RATINGS: 1472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Big malty flavors, including licorice and chocolate, are balanced with a moderate hop profile. Brewed with copious amounts of prized malts and flaked oats, the Barley Wine is so strong that it has to be aged for several months before we can bottle it. Like a fine wine, it will continue to improve with age up to 2 years after bottling (If kept cool).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Darkover (1512) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 3, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2003 Deep ruby color and almost no head. Carmel malt and alcohol flavor. Sweet acidic finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 22, 2002
first time in my beer drinking career that the cap came off with a gun-shot loudness that had me ducking in my own kitchen..I poured it slowly and got a full glass of foam..I poured it again, and now 3/4 of the glass is foam..??
Aroma is sour cherries, alcohol, and brown sugar..
super fizzy but Oh My God an unbelievable flavor if you can get past the onslaught of fizz (it is hard to though)..cherry cream with licorice and spice..If this wasnít so freakin carbinated to hell..this would be a super strong contender for best barley wine..but the fizz really does get in the way of the enjoyment..its rather sad..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - NOV 20, 2002
Strong alcohol flavor, but not as overpowering as many of the other barley wines. Nice blend of alcohol, malt and fruit.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dogbrick (7682) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - NOV 17, 2002
Dated 2001. Chestnut colored with a thick beige head and fair carbonation. Malt and alcohol nose. I must have had this at a good temperature because I thought the flavor came through very well. Malt, caramel, chocolate and alcohol played well together. I donít know if I would want to drink a bottle from this year considering how good this one tasted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
goz (359) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 12, 2002
Pours with a giant tan head. The head quickly dissolves, leaving a dark brown ale with strong aroma of chocolate. Taste is strong on malt, with a little anise in the back, and finishes with a little spice. Alcohol is definately there, slightly warming the gullet on the way down. I have some extras that I plan to age for a bit, and possibly re-rate.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 12, 2002
i had a hard time getting this stuff but it was well worth it the flavor is almost chocolatey smooth taste and finish.i might try rockinoutís idea and age some see if it gets better

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - NOV 7, 2002
The first thing I noticed (hard to miss) was the gigantic head. I donít remember any barley wine havind a head like this before. Very deep in color - almost like a dark Belgian. This brew is nice and malty and curiously, reminds me of a super hopped up belgian strong ale - say Trois Pistoles. I detect no alcohol despite its 10.5% content. This is one well done brew in my opinion. If you like Belgians and you like Pale ales - youíll love Horn Dog. BTW - I bought this in Ohio - so, some higher alchol content brews are starting to sneek in.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - OCT 31, 2002
Reddish brown body with a creamy tan head. Mine was not too carbonated. Malty sweet nose with a sweet spicy bubblegum(?) taste. Smooth mouthfeel, almost cocoa at times. Warming alcohol is nice. Been available in Ohio all along but shouldnít have been until now. Iím not complaining. I want to age some and then try it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
heykevin (1274) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - OCT 26, 2002
My bottle too is highly carbonated, but once it settles down it leaves a silky gem. Smooth deep malt flavor, bit of anise and liquorice. Hops are really nice in the background, but a nice counterpoint to the sweet maltiness. Definitley the best Iíve had from this brewery.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2004 Wonderfully malty with just the right amount of bitterness. Not quite the caliber of Old Foghorn or Old Crusty but by far this breweries finest offering. re-rate 10/19/02: Still this brewers best but this bottle i'm having is so carbonated it almost tastes frothy. It really takes away from the beer.