overall

RATINGS: 1496   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Big malty flavors, including licorice and chocolate, are balanced with a moderate hop profile. Brewed with copious amounts of prized malts and flaked oats, the Barley Wine is so strong that it has to be aged for several months before we can bottle it. Like a fine wine, it will continue to improve with age up to 2 years after bottling (If kept cool).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
dankfor20 (193) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 21, 2002
Not the best Barley wine iíve had but definately good. Very rich malty character. not to sweet at all though. Alcohol stands out a little too much IMO.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - AUG 16, 2002
What stood out most was the huge carbonation which i didnt care for much.Alcohol hidden quite well. Not to bad.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Racegoer (353) - Indiana, Indiana, USA - AUG 14, 2002
Poured in to a boisterous head that my glass could barely contain. Reminds of how A & W Root Beer looked when I was a Kid when we went to their drive up resturant. I started thinking this must be an ice cream float. But alas, it has a lot of malt flavor,sweet and rich taste. I agree with krisbierjaeger, a fine Cuban cigar goes well with this one,my choice here was a Montecristo #2.I have leaning more toward IPAs lately, but this is a nice change. I think I will buy a few more bottles and put them away for a while.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 2, 2002
Big maltiness along with big carbonation. Fruitiness subdued with a bit of roastiness. Finishes slightly sweet with a touch of astringency.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zanfiricoe (9) - Scottsville, New York, USA - JUL 28, 2002 does not count
Really enjoyed this Barley Wine from the start. Very Dark Amber color, with a tan and fairly long lasting head. A little sweet (which I tend to like) and a ton oí malt. Should be sipped, but it was easy to forget how strong it was. The alcohol is not hidden, but neither does it distract from the overall presence. Iíll definately be buying more, as well as looking for a homebrew clone!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUL 25, 2002
This beer poured a dark ruby red color and formed a small light tan head that left little lace. A small amount of carbonation. An aroma of malt and caramel. The taste was of malt, caramel and a little citrusy hops. The finish was warm of slight alcohol and caramel. Not a bad barleywine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - JUL 22, 2002
at 10.5%, this remains contraband here in ohio. i feel like quite the desperado hunched over my keyboard, shades drawn, sipping furtively out of a brown paper bag and my hogleg .44 mag at the ready. my bottle is 2001 (young yet, but precocious and a little sassy). it pours dark chestnut as a belgian draft horse, and approximately as strong. the lacy lady-like head swooned quickly from the alcohol vapors. a rum-like brown sugar aroma, buttery pecan pie maybe. the jolt of sweetness at first is unsettling, this would give a hummingbird a sugar-rush. still, the bravado of dark malt, raw as freshly split timbers, swimming in portwine and aviation fuel, followed by a hop wallop that lurked in the shadows--well, it all makes for a very interesting sip. itís a liqueur to savor with a nice punch corona. and like todayís stocks, itís bound to get better. really. (hic.)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRimmer (483) - Florida, USA - JUL 20, 2002
Very impressive head...in fact i poured two swigs into my glass and the head OVERFLOWED my glass. Magnificent carbonation that helped with a great mouth feel. somewhat hoppy in the mouth at times..other times it was brazenly malty. Heavy damn beer, barley wines as a rul get overwhelming for me towards the end but iím growing to a certain affinity to this style. Toffee smells and taste are all voer this thing...would have like to have tasted some fruit though.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
ClarkVV (3892) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 9, 2002
UPDATED: DEC 28, 2006 A lot lighter (body) and more dry than Iíd expect from a barleywine. Didnt taste very fresh, curious to try it on tap.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2004 OK, maybe I'm the wrong person to be rating this stuff, but jeez, it was 'way over the top for me. I don't dislike it, but it's entirely too strong-tasting for me (keep in mind, I LOVE India Pale Ales so I'm used to strong-tasting brews). I'm getting way too much burnt raisin taste. Maybe it's the style of beer that I'm having a problem with--I should try another brand of barley wine and see how it compares... ADDENDUM--I've adjusted my ratings slightly higher because I had another bottle of this stuff over the weekend and actually enjoyed it a bit more. This time, more of the sweetness came through and it didn't taste as harsh as the first bottle I drank. It's still not my favorite brew, but it's not as horrible as I originally thought either...