overall

RATINGS: 1472   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Big malty flavors, including licorice and chocolate, are balanced with a moderate hop profile. Brewed with copious amounts of prized malts and flaked oats, the Barley Wine is so strong that it has to be aged for several months before we can bottle it. Like a fine wine, it will continue to improve with age up to 2 years after bottling (If kept cool).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2004 Wonderfully malty with just the right amount of bitterness. Not quite the caliber of Old Foghorn or Old Crusty but by far this breweries finest offering. re-rate 10/19/02: Still this brewers best but this bottle i'm having is so carbonated it almost tastes frothy. It really takes away from the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TAR (2441) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - APR 10, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2005 Earthy, vegetal hop aroma. Fuzzy carbonation. Osbcure malt notes rest beneath poorly concealed alcohol and overt sweetness. Lingering resinous hop finish. Dull example.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Talk about a gusher. Way over carbonated...comes through too much un body also. Kind of a strange flavor for a barleywine....almost like stale hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2004 OK, maybe I'm the wrong person to be rating this stuff, but jeez, it was 'way over the top for me. I don't dislike it, but it's entirely too strong-tasting for me (keep in mind, I LOVE India Pale Ales so I'm used to strong-tasting brews). I'm getting way too much burnt raisin taste. Maybe it's the style of beer that I'm having a problem with--I should try another brand of barley wine and see how it compares... ADDENDUM--I've adjusted my ratings slightly higher because I had another bottle of this stuff over the weekend and actually enjoyed it a bit more. This time, more of the sweetness came through and it didn't taste as harsh as the first bottle I drank. It's still not my favorite brew, but it's not as horrible as I originally thought either...

Brewmaster (168) - USA - AUG 16, 2002
What stood out most was the huge carbonation which i didnt care for much.Alcohol hidden quite well. Not to bad.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
gsmitty80 (1794) - Washington DC, USA - JAN 5, 2008
This was a good beer, but a little bit too much licorice taste for me. Flying do makes another mediocre beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
kpresley77 (145) - Jackson, Georgia, USA - JUN 28, 2008
Bottle pours dark copper with little to no head. Aroma is very mild with hints of raisin and alcohol. First taste is sweet fruit then alcohol and hops take over. Finish is dry with some hops burn but alcohol is definately present. Just not my style.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
specksnreds (55) - USA - JUL 10, 2008
Pretty good. Lacks the balance of some other BW’s, but good none the less. A little too bitter and flat in the palate. Great aroma and appearance. Nice mouth feel.

DonMagi (5596) - bantervile, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - AUG 7, 2008
Bottle at my new home in London:) Aroma is big rich sweet malt, mollasses character and some berry character. Taste is similar, big and super malty, like still alright an does the job, but a bit too rich and malty to be great.

StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - SEP 4, 2008
Kind of a let down here. Maybe a good intro Barleywine, but everything is just too muted. I just like big beers, and this isn’t one. Everything you love ina barleywine, but toned way down. Malt backbone, hop profile. Very smooth and drinkable, just not what I want in a BW.