overall

RATINGS: 1496   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Big malty flavors, including licorice and chocolate, are balanced with a moderate hop profile. Brewed with copious amounts of prized malts and flaked oats, the Barley Wine is so strong that it has to be aged for several months before we can bottle it. Like a fine wine, it will continue to improve with age up to 2 years after bottling (If kept cool).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
erway (1004) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - OCT 19, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2004 Wonderfully malty with just the right amount of bitterness. Not quite the caliber of Old Foghorn or Old Crusty but by far this breweries finest offering. re-rate 10/19/02: Still this brewers best but this bottle i'm having is so carbonated it almost tastes frothy. It really takes away from the beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
TAR (2518) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - APR 10, 2002
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2005 Earthy, vegetal hop aroma. Fuzzy carbonation. Osbcure malt notes rest beneath poorly concealed alcohol and overt sweetness. Lingering resinous hop finish. Dull example.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - JUL 3, 2002
Talk about a gusher. Way over carbonated...comes through too much un body also. Kind of a strange flavor for a barleywine....almost like stale hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 8, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2004 OK, maybe I'm the wrong person to be rating this stuff, but jeez, it was 'way over the top for me. I don't dislike it, but it's entirely too strong-tasting for me (keep in mind, I LOVE India Pale Ales so I'm used to strong-tasting brews). I'm getting way too much burnt raisin taste. Maybe it's the style of beer that I'm having a problem with--I should try another brand of barley wine and see how it compares... ADDENDUM--I've adjusted my ratings slightly higher because I had another bottle of this stuff over the weekend and actually enjoyed it a bit more. This time, more of the sweetness came through and it didn't taste as harsh as the first bottle I drank. It's still not my favorite brew, but it's not as horrible as I originally thought either...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Brewmaster (168) - USA - AUG 16, 2002
What stood out most was the huge carbonation which i didnt care for much.Alcohol hidden quite well. Not to bad.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - APR 1, 2003
pours a dark red/brown color, with a large, creamy, persistant tan head. Aroma is malty and sweet, with caramel notes. A rather nice aroma in my opinion. However, the taste falls far short of the aroma. Flavor is malty and sweet, with a syrup-like mouthfeel. The finish is the bizzare part. Sometimes I get a bad burnt metallic finish, and other sips are smoother, with a strong, almost port-like finish. If not for the finish this brew would get good marks. It's possible that this bottle is slightly skunked, and maybe that'll explain the finish. I'll have to try again sometime.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Indra (2655) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - MAY 9, 2003
Promising aroma, with caramel and brown sugar, a touch of berry, spicy hop and a strong twinge of pine and alcohol. Deep, dark, solid red-brown in color, with a massively foamy and lasting head. Flavor begins with some rather sugary sweet caramel and bready maltiness, but is then gracelessly overlayed with a very strong astringent, spicy bitterness and brash alcoholic fire. Generously hoppy finish, some faintly lingering fruit and nut. Vintage is unhelpfully left blank on the label, but I'm guessing it's pretty recent. This beer has fairly enjoyable flavors, but they occur at the wrong times and in the wrong places, somehow. I want to say that aging would help, but that's probably no guarantee.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Wrath (362) - Valparaiso, Indiana, USA - MAY 15, 2003
Not a real good barley wine.Aroma is nice at first but then the taste falls short.Does have a little bit of a burnt finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - OCT 19, 2003
Pours a very brown color. Ruby brown in the glass. Minimal tan head with associated minimal lacing. Earthy malty aroma. Spicy and alcohol also noticeable. Sweet and caramely, not much hops going on here. Thin watery palate for a barley wine. Not bad but not great. Seems they spent more on the labels, which are quite nice, then the beer itself. A pretty ordinary barley wine.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
antisnobJP (275) - St. Michael, Minnesota, USA - NOV 27, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2004 2003A vintage. Smells like sweet malt and cough syrup. No head or lacing. Hazy dark brown color. Tastes of fruits like plums and bubblegum. Syrupy mouthfeel. Acidic sweet finish, slightly spicy. Didn't notice much hop presence in the flavor or aroma. I think it needs to age a bit for a proper rating. As is, not exceptional.3.1 Re-rate 3/12/04 - Almost 4 months later, Alcohol bite hits even harder, like a john smacking a crack whore. I give up.