overall

RATINGS: 1488   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Flying Dog Brewery will celebrate its 20th Anniversary a few months early on Friday, September 25th (the brewery turns 20 next year). The brewery will be sampling the new Raging Bitch Belgian-style India Pale Ale at the Flying dog Brats And Gonzo party in Denver that day as part of the Great American Beer Fest happening that week (unscramble the FBAG acronym to get GABF). More info about the fest can be found on the official Flying Dog blog. The beer also appeared on draft at this past weekend’s Gonzofest party. Al from Hop Talk was in attendance and reported on his blog, “I understand it’s made from an augmented Snake Dog wort with an exclusive Belgian yeast strain (called Diablo) and dry-hopped with a load of Amarillo hops. They’re calling it a Belgian IPA. It was really good. It had that hop bite from a big, bad American IPA with the banana and bubblegum from the Belgian yeast.” Some may remember a beer called, Raging Bitch Birch Beer, that Flying Dog introduced on April 1st. Whereas that low-gravity series beer was a joke, this beer is anything but at 8% ABV (60 IBU). Propaganda from the label: “Two inflammatory words…one wild drink. Nectar imprisoned in a bottle. Let it out. It is cruel to keep a wild animal locked up. Uncap it. Release it…stand back! Wallow in its golden glow in a glass beneath a white foaming head. Remember, enjoying a RAGING BITCH, unleashed, untamed, unbridled – and in heat – is pure GONZO!! It has taken 20 years to get from there to here. Enjoy!” – Ralph Steadman

radzik5555 (156) - Gdynia, POLAND - MAR 5, 2014
Butelka 0.3L. Jasnobursztynowe, klarowne z refleksem. Piana jasnobeżowa, obfita ale sporo dużych pęcherzyków i szybko się dziurawi, lekko znaczy szkło. Aromat złożony, czuć sporą ilość chmielów: dojrzałe owoce, trochę żywicy, banan i odrobina nut dzikich, karmel oraz goździk. Fajne połączenie chmielu, belgijskich drożdży i aromatów słodowych. Wszystkie elementy współgrają i są zrównoważone. W smaku ciekawe, też miesza się sporo elementów. Czuć trochę słodyczy i lekką kwasowość chyba od drożdży, po czym pojawia się stonowana chmielowo-alkoholowa goryczka. Alkohol nie jest drażniący tylko dopełnia smak jak w mocnych piwach belgijskich. Wysycenie średnie, ciało średnie, odczucie przyjemne lekko śliskie, kremowe. Ciekawe piwo, złożone ale zbalansowane.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
rauchbier (3559) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - MAR 3, 2014
Bottle, from Cost cutter, Barrow-upon-Humber. Russet gold, thin but lasting off white head and gentle condition. Big fruity malt sweet nose with low hop resin and a hint of earthy yeast, some liquorice and perhaps also a suggestion of figs. In the mouth it starts earthy and hop bitter with a brash kick of alcohol, with a low malt sweetness vainly attempting to achieve some degree of balance, some fruity berry notes briefly join the fight as it warms and some semblance of order is resumed, the bitterness melting away. In the finish the hop bitterness and malty sweetness give each other the respect they deserve and any previous unbalance is forgotten, although that may just be a result of the alcohol.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
JimmyBoy74 (102) - Örebro, SWEDEN - MAR 1, 2014
33 cl Stallyktan. Kommer inte ihĺg denna öl men vill ändĺ förs in denna i min logg.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChrisSc (184) - Lille, FRANCE - FEB 25, 2014
12 oz bottle into tulip. Minneapolis. Appearance: copper in color. Small white head. Aroma: bitter hops, caramel, yeast. Taste: sweet with a bitter undertone. Palate: medium body. Long finish. Smooth texture. Overall: a very nice beer. Hops add an interesting dynamic to the beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
martjoobolut (341) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - FEB 25, 2014
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2014 0,355L bottle (shared by suurjuust, thanks!).. Pours red amber with nice white head. The head stays. Aroma is grass, sour, and pine. Taste is pine, honey, grapefruit, lemon, and caramel. Long bitter grapefruit finish. Overall: ok IPA, but nothing special.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
_angst_ (2365) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - FEB 25, 2014
Draught sample @ 3 Smĺ Rum. Pours reddish golden with a frothy offwhite head that leaves some soapy lacing on the glass while dissipating. Smell is fruity and phenolic with biscuits, grapefruit juice, apples, lemon zest, grass, pine and hints of bandaids. Taste is bitter, fruity and phenolic with biscuits, crackers, grapefruit juice, pine, lemon zest, resinous wood, apple skins and hints of bandaids and cough medicine. Mouthfeel is slightly astringent and medium bodied. Finish is bitter with biscuits, grapefruit rinds, grass, pine and bandaids. Pretty rough around the edges but still drinks pretty good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
suurjuust (843) - ESTONIA - FEB 22, 2014
Orange, medium white head. Nose is mild hops, malty tones, belgian hops, peaches, more fruity tones, vague yeast. Taste is malts, sweetness, lemony-peachy notes, spice. Dry finish with grapefruity hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
MonsterMagnet (59) - NETHERLANDS - FEB 20, 2014
Bottle, pours orange with a good white head. Aroma and taste are similar. Grass, citrus fruits, green leaves, hops! Fairly low carbonation, dry, with a bitter aftertaste. Love it!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerKurve (430) - - FEB 18, 2014
Hazy orange with a foamy head and mild carbonation. Aroma of citrus/piney hops, caramel and yeasts. Likewise with the flavor but with more of a spicy/yeasty profile. Moderate weight, thin and mildly carbonated. Tasty!

0.9
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Simmie77 (10) - - FEB 18, 2014
I feel almost embarrassed to write something less beautiful here, with all those reviews. But I have to be honoust. I have had this beer sometimes before, also the other variants of this brewery. This time it was tasting time. Together with all the other beers I love, and Ratebeer loves. We have had a lot of tasteries in my home, and at last I let this competitor play with us. Sometimes it is about your own taste itself, and I think I have found my boundaries on that! Bitter! Bittter! Bitter! I have no space or mercy on this experience. Is it the fact that you have to appreciate the taste of something like this just like Champagne? Is it Because you are not really known to this? Like a child to wine, and a poor person to Foie Gras? No, I don’t think so. I tried it really, really hard, a dozens times. It tastes like there is so much "hop" in there, the taste is really consumed by that. Not a pleasant experience for me is all. Not fruity, not resin-like, the aftertaste is horrible. Just unexplainable. If there was an aftertaste, it was bitter, and I am a fan of lime fruits, and grapefruit juices so I am used to something. But about beers.... I have probably tasted more, and I always bet a crate of Westvleteren on that, who ever wants to compete with my knowledge, and never lost a battle about this subject. I must say first that Westvleteren is not my favourite beer, it is like a dinner meal that will stuff you with too much taste and, yes will stuff you! Also with boredom after you had your third meal, you just want to stop and go to bed. But that’s a different category. For sure. After one sip of this I have a dissapointment over me, that is not resolved quikcly. Because I still have to drink the rest of this beer. The saddest part is that this beer was part of my goodbeye evening to my loved one, who was going back to her country for a while. It was not pleasant to see all of the other beer lovers experience the same... And she did neither. We all were born with a beer bottle in our mouths, let me tell you that. I am glad I am not born with this beer bottle in my mouth. Caramel? No!; Bread? No, except for foreign bread!; Hay? No, I am not a rabbit!; Cereal? No!; Chocolate? :P; Coffee? Yes please!; Nuts? Yes!!!!!!; toast? Really toasted yes, beyond anything!; Roasty? Yes, also too freaking much!!! Banana? You wished! We have no bananas today! For real, what a bitter complex brew this is. For me with no taste at all, and no pleasant after taste as well. And no bananas, and no milk today! My concern, this hype might go too far, people outside of Europe trying to brew a balanced beer, going after the Burgundy style of life, with shit like this?! Like I said, do I have to change my taste as well? From Champagne to Prosecco, or from Rochefort to Flying shit from dogs that eat snakes? And than to a geezer that brews "hops" that will knock your fillings out of your teeth?! My grandfather was a master cheese maker at the best factory we have in Holland, and probably in the entire world. He knows about quality. And so do I! Thanks for the bitter evening my love!