Flying Monkeys Alpha Fornication

(RETIRED)

Formerly brewed at Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery
Style: Imperial/Double IPA
Barrie, Canada

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.03/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 2500   EST. CALORIES: 399   ABV: 13.3%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
hopdog (8867) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 29, 2012
12oz bottle. Poured a hazy, murky, muddy, yellowish/amber color with a small sized head. Leathery, rotten citrus rinds, resiny, and just hoppy (hop pellets). Definitely an experience that I give them props for doing, but not something I would seek out again (and I do love my hops). I’m glad I had the chance to try it...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Sammy (8566) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 30, 2011
Bottle from brewery. Their new unique shape that looks like "barrel of monkeys" toy sold in your dollar stores and toy stores. Completely opaque, yes pea soup murky waters, aspirin chopped down sediment. Smells hoppy, very much hop pellets that have been melted down. The beer: Very bitter, a melange of hops, likely a C-hop for flavour in there, a tad of fruit, very tangy. The sediment: concentrated even further, pure bitterness. A must try experience.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
MrManning (2003) - Hamilton, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 22, 2011
Tap at Gambrinus Bistro- Probably one of the murkiest beers I have seen. Like a pea soup, a completely cloudy brindle with a one finger head of white froth, and loads of floaties. Surprisingly fruity nose is the dominant feature. Loads of nectarine, pear, mango, and lychee with little in the way of pine or citrus, and a mild resiny/floral hop character. The flavour on the other is just plain bitter hops with medium sweetness and a slight tartness towards the end, reminiscent of an aged cheddar. It really is the bitterest thing I’ve ever had. Imagine drinking a hop shake, or hop juice and you’re in the ballpark. Soft carbonation,absolutely full bodied, oily, thick, sticky, completely mouth coating. Not really all that drinkable, but I am judging this beer, not based on session beer standards, but as a sipper. The finish does not go away for at least 30 minutes, and even then you’ve still got the hop burps for some time. 2-3 Oz is likely all you’ll need, though I finished my full sample. Could work as a whisky replacement in the winter time. A neat experiment. Kudos to the Monkeys!