overall

RATINGS: 211   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 304   ABV: 10.13%
One third of the wort used to make this splendid stout came from each of three North Carolina Breweries: Olde Hickory Brewery, The Duck-Rabbit Craft Brewery, and Foothills Brewing.

These were combined and aged in very rare 23 year old bourbon barrels. Olde Rabbit’s Foot Imperial Stout is rich and complex; as satisfying to drink as it was to make. We three craft brewers hope you will enjoy the very special Stout as much as we have.

Brewed with honey and with cocoa nibs added and aged in 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle barrels.

Cheers! - Jamie, Paul & Steven

2009 version brewed at Olde Hickory, later versions at Foothills.

8balls (12) - Winston-Salem, USA - NOV 4, 2012
So far in my ale journeys, the 2010 edition of ORF has been the perfect brew. This tasted like it was the best of the imperial stouts that Foothils, Olde Hickory, & Duck Rabbit had to offer in a perfect blend. I was able to enjoy it in bottles and on draft, and to be honest, I couldn’t make a distinction between draft & bottle form as to which was better (and that’s uncommon). The bourbon comes through just right in both aroma and flavor. This was one of the 1st BBA brews that I had, and it has been the benchmark for the many that I’ve enjoyed since. I can’t wait to partake in the 2012 edition!

Busick (379) - South Carolina, USA - DEC 19, 2013
AWESOME beer! Was privileged to sit beside a guy at a Founder’s dinner who after the dinner went home and pulled this phenom from his cellar! List for words at how good this beer is!!!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
alpar (160) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2012
2011 version: Wonderful nose that only a pappy barrel can give off. Marshmallow, my best friend :) vanilla, oak, little bit of coffee and huge malt. The taste is super sweet and malty, very smooth and sweet, but just the right amount. This is in my radar as best beer of 2011. Wish it was easier to obtain.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
DukeBrewDevil (732) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - DEC 18, 2009
I came into this beer with crazy high expectations for obvious reasons, which usually leads to disappointment, but this monster stout more than lived up to it. It pours an oily black with a pretty large, dark tan head. The aroma’s absolutely delicious, like a fresh roasted dark chocolate coffee with a shot of bourbon. As I drank it, I was surprised how clean it was to start, then built with a lot of coffee roast. I expected more chocolate with the Sexual Chocolate and chocolate nibs added, but I tasted more roast up front, then the boozy, wood flavors of a nice whiskey. The mouthfeel is quite creamy with a bit of a warming sensation as it goes down. As a coffee and bourbon fan, this well-balanced beer is just what I look for in a big stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4909) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2011
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2012 My friend Franc brought a bottle of this back from a trip to North Carolina. +++ Sampled from a 22 oz brown bottle this beer poured thick, black and oily with a medium sized very dark brown head that produced good lacing. The aroma was bourbon, wood, port wine, vanilla, coconut and anise. The flavor was bourbon, vanilla, wood, coconut, vanilla, port wine, toasty malts and a hint of cocoa. The finish was long with bourbon and wood. Thick and full bodied. The alcohol was fairly well concealed. Wonderful.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
roborb (66) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 5, 2010
A: This beer pours a dark opaque black with a moderate 2 finger head. The cocoa colored head dies after a few minutes and leaves moderate lacing throughout the glass. S: I was using an oversized snifter for this beer and the aroma was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, heavy malts and dark fruit. I couldn’t stop myself from smelling this beer. T: The initial taste has roasted malts and a touch of vanilla. As you finish it turns to cocoa and then a sweet vanilla/honey taste. As the beer warms everything seems to blend very well together. A very tasty and fantastic collaboration so far! M: This is medium bodied and I couldn’t detect much heat. I could go through a bomber of this in no time and not feel the effects. D: I didn’t have any problems finishing this beer. I enjoyed letting it sit and trying to figure out which taste profile would change. I highly recommend this beer.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fiver29 (1035) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - FEB 13, 2010
Bottle shared by Mike. Thanks Mike! Pours silky black with tan head. Aroma is perfect. A perfect meld of roast, molasses, cocoa, vanilla, bourbon, and a touch of heat. Wow. I could smell this forever. Medium mouthfeel. Flavor follows the nose and has complex layers of chocolate, roast, vanilla, bourbon, cocoa, oats, and finishes with a silky smooth character that leaves me wanting more. Wow. Great beer. Thanks Mike!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
craftbeerdesign (2175) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 8, 2010
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2010 tasting on 3/6/10... big black pour with a nice tan head... sweet malt, sugar and bourbon nose... solid thick bourbon laced body... more sweetness, vanilla, oak and chocolate notes throughout... really fills the mouth with joy. strong bourbon finish. So glad I got a few ounces of this one!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
unclemattie (4169) - Georgia, USA - JUL 28, 2011
22oz bottle thanks to KP. 143 of 694. Very dark brown\black color. Deep aroma of roast, lots of cocoa, vanilla, brownies. A touch of bourbon. Flavor has a load of dark chocolate, nice vanilla bourbon character. Mellow roast, smooth cocoa. Really good. Brownie batter with bourbon essence. Heavy bodied. Amazing.
RATING 3050.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
PhillyCraft (3187) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2012
Bottle. Highly anticipated collab beer using Old Hickory, Sexual Chocolate, and Duck Rabbit Imperial then aged in 23 yr old Pappy Van Winkle barrels. Aromas of toasted coconut, cocoa, marshmallow, and some rich whiskey in the back. Reminded me of the toasted coconut marshmallows. Taste is chocolate, bourbon, rye, marshmallow, cocoa nib bitter chocolate, and an aftertaste of coffee. Rich and complex wood notes were evident as it warmed. Amazing stout, smooth as can be.