overall

RATINGS: 620   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A cocoa infused Imperial Stout – Opaque black in color with a dark brown head. Big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3405) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2008
Cleveland tasting

Again again mike comes through with a generous surprise. This is worthy of trying despite not quite living up to the hype. My assessment is that it should be a considered a Top 100 beer on par with the likes of North Coast Old Rasputin and Stone Russian Imperial Stout. Track it down if you can though don’t trade away more than the $15 to $20 it is worth.

Aroma / Appearance - Sticky lacing trickled down the sides of my goblet coalescing into a dark thin head. The oily black body unleashed chocolate, coffee, anise, smoke and a hint of sweetness. It was dense enough that I could have spent a long time admiring the care that went into creating such a tightly bound experience. It’s not quite as rich as the best in the world but it is very close.

Flavor / Palate - Smoke, licorice and chocolate tease the tongue. Next comes coffee and a bit more chocolate. The warm aftertaste finally releases the alcohol before an ashy finish. Everything sticks in the throat until washed away by another beer or water. While not quite a Top 50 beer it is definitely a contender for one of the best imperial stouts available.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerVirgin72 (880) - Pickerington, Ohio, USA - MAR 17, 2008
Bottle shared at the Cleveland tasting. I am glad I finally got to try this. Perhaps I need to resample, but I am not really sure it lived up to its hype for me. Very dark brown pour. Aroma of burnt coffee. Taste was mostly bitter, black roasted coffee. I did not get much sweetness or chocolate flavor here, and I think thats what disappointed me in this one. I would like to try it again to have a fairer assesment.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
princesslala (131) - DENMARK - MAR 16, 2008
This beer is smooth. Like the sexy labeling advertises, it is a bad mamma-jamma. The strange thing is I didn’t really even know what I was drinking when I drank it. I had it in a sampler of all the beers that they had on tap at Foothills. While I enjoyed all the beers, I really found this beer, and the Irish Red they had, to be exceptional. What also really surprised me about the fact that the beer that I enjoyed the most out all ten samples was the Sexual Chocolate, was that the first time I had it at Charlotte Oktoberfest last year, I really did not enjoy it, but yesterday it was just plain delicious. I think this mostly due to the fact that yesterday it was served at the correct temperature in a clean glass. The sample was black. I didn’t pick up much from the aroma, but the taste was like a dark chocolate bitch slap in the good dirty girl sort of way. It had a big, bold, chocolatey, raosty flavor, but it wasn’t bitter, and there wasn’t any heat from the alcohol, which was surprising for such a big beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 16, 2008
Bottle #430, Aroma is pure cocoa, some chocolate malts and roasted scents,more subdued then I thought it would be, you have to really stick your nose downin the glass to get all of it, taste has a little more body, multi cocoa’s brownie, chocolate frosting,chocolate pudding,roast,molassas, and chocolate soda finish,smooth as can be,flavor is very satisfying, glad I got to try it ,also glad i didn’t go out of my way to get it. Thanks Kingpin

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmatkins (12) - Illinois, USA - MAR 15, 2008
Bottle #173 (also recently drank on tap) Very dark pour, nice head, aroma not particularly strong. Good flavors, some chocolate and malt flavors Good imperial stout very hyped, but worth the hour 1/2 drive and waiting in line.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
JK (5410) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - MAR 7, 2008
A black colored beer. Thick and heavy, great palate. Malt aroma with some wood. Flavor has chocolate, medium bitter, roasted oats, and some coffee. More hops than common for the style. It is not as incredible as I thought it might be, but still very good. The high abv is well hidden.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - MAR 4, 2008
real good looking pour mocha black nice tan head. aroma though was a little weak in general . flavor came through with a robust coffee and chocolate flavor that was a nice treat. finished real nice leaving a lingering coffee flavor on te buds.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
johnadam2002 (529) - Hainesport, New Jersey, USA - MAR 3, 2008
Courtesy of shp555 and thebeercellar. Shared with therealbastard. Way overhyped. I’d take a Southern Tier Oat or Choklat any day over this. vERY Similar to the Rogue Chocolate. Poured black with a creamy tan head. Aroma of chocolate and some coffee. Chocolate and coffee flavors mixed well but not really strong. Finished with an alcohol burn. Doesn’t hide well. At least I got to try it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - MAR 2, 2008
Eh, way overhyped don’t waste your rare beers to get this one. Not enough chocolate flavors, southern tier has this one covered. Way overated IMO. I regret my friend trading for it. Sorry John Adam. It’s all good, the Alexander and BA Wee Heavy did me in.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
tjthresh (1867) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - MAR 2, 2008
22 ounce bottle from cdog69. The pour is black with a billowing light brown head with some very nice lace. Aroma? What aroma? I get next to nothing here. Seems to me hops are leading the way in the nose. I bit apple-ish. There’s roast and chocolate, but over all the nose is much to weak to earn a high score. The flavor, to me, isn’t really anything to brag about either. There’s some roast and some chocolate, but there supposed to be. I do pick up a tad of molasses. Really, the flavor is pretty pedestrian. The mouthfeel on the other hand is quite good. Big body. Above average carbonation. Dry finish. Full palate all the way through. OH-VER-RAY-TED!