overall

RATINGS: 184   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
A well-structured Czech style pilsner. TORCH is strong in alcohol with a rich,full finish. Good mouth feel and well-balanced Czech Saaz hops ensure that TORCH is not your typical pilsner. Color: 5 Lovibond;IBU:35

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
decaturstevo (4983) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - JUL 3, 2006
From a growler thanks Larry or KP? Not my favorite style of beer. This one had that familiar skunky wet paper smell but with a hint of malt and a tickle of hops? Was a clean clear ggold with a nice white head. The taste was quite the surprise. It had that familiar pils flavor but it actually had some malt coming through and a bit of hops kicker. A clean smooth easy beer to drink. I will track it down and drink 2 back to back and re-rate. Don’t tell anybody I said this but I kinda liked this nugget.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Fish (440) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUN 22, 2006
This is the best local pilsner I’ve had (i.e. NC pilsner) got it at the Asheville PIzza Co. (still felt bad about not ordering a house brew) but I haven’t seen torch elsewhere in town. It poured a nice deep golden color with a pleasant aroma of resiny hops. The malts are really on display at the beginning as well. And the palate was not disappointing at all, lively carbonation, but not overpowering. I was most impressed with the hops in this beer. It reminded me of the Tuppers Hop Pocket but a bit milder. Solid beer here.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 26, 2006
Draught at the brewpub 3/24/06: Pale clear yellow body with a small white head that is quickly fleeting. The aroma is light bread, flowery hops, and a touch of light fruit notes. Flavor starts with some spicy hops and quickly moves to grassy hops, sweet dough, bread. Light bodied, carbonated just enough to make it very crisp, very effervecent and pleasing. I think this beer does an excellent job bringing out the noble hops flavors of the Saaz hops, particularly in the flavor. I would not mind a bit more pilsener malt flavors, but love the lightly spicy/flowery/grassy hop notes that keep you drinking.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2006
Not a pilsner fan first off, but this one was not too bad. Flavor was slightly hoppy as was the aroma.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ross (2078) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 18, 2006
Golden hay color, white head. Rather bland and not really that impressive. Taste is somehwat malty, a little hoppy, but all in all, this was the worst one on my sample tray.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
grat (433) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 3, 2006
I wasn’t expecting much from this beer and I was wrong...even though my score is 3.3. Clean golden straw colored beer. No head. Nose is more like a german pilsner than a Czech one. Lots of doughy subtle malt goodness with an apparent though unpronounced hop flower smell. Not skunky enough to be full on German though. Sugary light malts and cholorphyl-like green hops bitterness. Flavors dazzle. The malts are biscuit bready. Like a sugar cookie covered in hops. Well done with the malts. The sweet edge finishes quickly with a sharp yeasty tang that is lager-like clean with a millky edge. Hops undergird this tang and draw the beer into the finish. All in all a pilsner I would drink frequently.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - FEB 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2007 A little thin for my taste. Maybe if this beer wasn’t filtered, or maybe we need a little more quality grain in the grist bill. Nice hop though, certainly claims Saaz. I think this is a wonderful way to get your buddy to put down the Miller, but I really want a little more backbone in the malt department. Well balanced and crisp. To re-rate, this beer is very nice. I can’t for summer to show off the spicy hop flavor. This second tasting was done at the brewery, so maybe I ran into a dirty tapline earlier.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
freekyp (1483) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 5, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2013 On tap at Foothills brewpub. A solid Pilsner. More cereal malt character than most, and a nice grassy floral aroma. Bitterness is forward. Light bodied but flavorful and very clean.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Draught at the brewpub. Clear golden color with thin tan head. Hop nose is a bit more prominent than most pilsners, bu this brewpub seems to like the hops, so it fits. Crisp finish, slightly sweet.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Suttree (5127) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 2, 2006
Draft at Asheville Pizza and beer as a guest - Orangey yellow, with a thin tan head. Spicy, savory aroma. Flavor is very Europoean, if you know what I mean. Very clean palate, with a hint of, I gonna call it pretzels. Some notes of pine in the finish.