RATINGS: 720   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Ale Brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

fiver29's rating

fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 21, 2011
On tap at Mikeís Bar and Grill during Cleveland Beer Week. Huge thanks to Founders for bringing some kegs of this this week. Just awesome. I have been searching for the perfect beer for years. I found it last night. The guy next to me said he had this last week in a bottle and tonight was his first time on tap. He said it was clearly better on tap. I have only had this once. On tap. Last night. So this review is based on what I enjoyed last evening. Pours pitch black with a slight tan ring around the edges. Looks like what I would expect. I put the glass up to my nose and whiff. Whoa. Layers of aromas. First I noticed a stickly sweet maple, then a touch of coffee, roast, and wood made a noticeable note here as well. I smelled this a few times because I was surprised by the complexity just in the aroma. I took a sip. My first thought was "Holy Fuck". An explosion of flavor hit me. Upfront their was a strong sense of coffee, followed very closely by a touch of maple sweetness, then a touch of dark roast from the grain bill and a slight note of vanilla with some booze notes that was not at all hot. The booze flavors were hid well by the way this was barrel aged and melded perfectly in the finished product. There really was no booze as there was just a note of it and it made for a perfectly rounded beer. The finish combined all of the above ever so slightly. There was no cloying sweetness. Nothing over the top. Everything in this beer was perfectly represented from start to finish. I honestly never thought I would give a perfect score to any beer. Until now. This one for me goes beyond the hype and was worth every sip.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
MrHangover (3567) - Den Haag, NETHERLANDS - NOV 23, 2015
Bottle @ Deans Bomb Shelter Tasting, thnx to the crew for sharing! Pours a pitch black beer with a thin tanned head on top. Aroma of soy sauces, molasses, slight chocolate and some faint ground coffee in the back. Flavor is sweet, big influence of the syrup in there, Has a faint herbal note in the very back. Soft carbonation, long bittersweet aftertaste. Nice, but Iíve expected way more to be honest.

Zer0 (1180) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - NOV 22, 2015
Bottle shared at Kermisí b-day bottleshare, thanks to Jeroen. First batch. Pours pitch black with a small brown head. Aroma is minty, chocolate, coffee, mocha, caramel. Taste is rather sweet. Full bodied with mild carbonation. Great, but the mint was a bit weird.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
deanso (7173) - the Hague, NETHERLANDS - NOV 21, 2015
Bottle sampled at Kermisís birthday tasting. Thin ring tan head. Clear black pour. Minty coffee and chocolate aftertaste. Lovely

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bigda83 (572) - Jamestown, New York, USA - SEP 28, 2015
Tap at Aurora Brew Works Founders takeover. Poured a jet black color with small sudsy off white head. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, and bourbon hit the nose. Flavor was coffee, chocolate, woody, bourbon, slight sweet maple. Little more mellow and smooth than KBS, which was also on tap. Full body, oily texture, average carbonation, a slight bitter and bourbon burn finish to it. Nice beer that Iím glad to finally tick off.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jordtbrooks (20) - Michigan, USA - SEP 15, 2015
Pours dark oil color with tan head. Aroma is chocolate, maple and booze. Very boozy taste semi bitter. Wonderful beer. Has a lot going on. Better as it warmed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Iphonephan (4982) - McLean, Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2015
On draft at Snallygaster 2015. Pours black wth a tan head. Aroma of coffee and chocolate. Flavors of smoky and bacon and maple syrup. Sweet finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Beersiveknown (4378) - NORTHERN IRELAND - SEP 11, 2015
Sample at craigís tasting,
Dark brown black with tan lacing.big, coffee, chocolate, heavy, rich, boozy,

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
salvaticas (533) - - AUG 15, 2015
On tap at BGH. Incredibly smooth. Can taste the maple but very subtle. Excellent. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
cbfobes (2800) - Quad Cities, Illinois, USA - AUG 9, 2015
On tap at 2015 GTMW, Iíve been chasing this one ever since I started to get into beer, waited for about 25 minutes in line to try it, and I probably could of tried others at the fest that I was more impressed with, pours black with a very thin light brown head, the aroma has a slight amount of vanilla with a good amount of roast and chocolate, the flavor has a decent amount of chocolate and roast, the maple doesnít really show as much as I was hoping it would, mouthfeel is a bit thin, so this stuff is good, but not mind blowing good. If this was blind up against other unknown BA beers I think this would be in the middle. Glad I finally got to try this, but somewhat let down by it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zchall23 (12) - , Ohio, USA - AUG 8, 2015
Much better on tap than from the bottle. I donít know for certain how much of it is an actual change in the beer and how much is a palate shift due to more intense beers being continuously available, but this doesnít have the same magic it once did after having the likes of Morniní Delight. Still a great beer; try adding a little BLiS syrup to thicken the mouthfeel; itís fantastic!