overall

RATINGS: 708   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Ale Brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

fiver29's rating

fiver29 (1036) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - OCT 21, 2011
On tap at Mike’s Bar and Grill during Cleveland Beer Week. Huge thanks to Founders for bringing some kegs of this this week. Just awesome. I have been searching for the perfect beer for years. I found it last night. The guy next to me said he had this last week in a bottle and tonight was his first time on tap. He said it was clearly better on tap. I have only had this once. On tap. Last night. So this review is based on what I enjoyed last evening. Pours pitch black with a slight tan ring around the edges. Looks like what I would expect. I put the glass up to my nose and whiff. Whoa. Layers of aromas. First I noticed a stickly sweet maple, then a touch of coffee, roast, and wood made a noticeable note here as well. I smelled this a few times because I was surprised by the complexity just in the aroma. I took a sip. My first thought was "Holy Fuck". An explosion of flavor hit me. Upfront their was a strong sense of coffee, followed very closely by a touch of maple sweetness, then a touch of dark roast from the grain bill and a slight note of vanilla with some booze notes that was not at all hot. The booze flavors were hid well by the way this was barrel aged and melded perfectly in the finished product. There really was no booze as there was just a note of it and it made for a perfectly rounded beer. The finish combined all of the above ever so slightly. There was no cloying sweetness. Nothing over the top. Everything in this beer was perfectly represented from start to finish. I honestly never thought I would give a perfect score to any beer. Until now. This one for me goes beyond the hype and was worth every sip.

McNeillR (1758) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUL 12, 2015
Dark and ringed still brown head. Nose is boozy, cinnamon and wet tobacco. Initial taste is lean sweetness, super malty and a firm coconut. Dark rye breadiness and a lively coffee bitter tang. Lively enough. Settles into a sticky sweetness but doesn’t overdo things thanks to a soft carbonation. Finishes lean rich sticky malt. I can’t get over how sticky this is. Solid work although not as nourishing as I’d thought.

Bottle, Beers I Hadn’t Known Were Gushers Daisy Tasting

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GlasgowTAD (583) - Glasgow/Aberdeen, SCOTLAND - JUL 12, 2015
Pours black with a slight brown head. Aroma is roast malts, freshly ground coffee, cocoa and chocolate brownies. Taste is coffee, maple syrup, milk chocolate, slight coconut and a hint of caramel. Full bodied.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BenH (3020) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUL 12, 2015
Bottle. Black with tan head. Aroma of mint chocolate, slightly roasty. Taste of chocolate, oak, roast. Quite hot. Bit weird

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Stuu666 (6470) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUL 12, 2015
Bottle at craig’s. Pours black, nose is minty, chocolate, coffee, taste is dry, sweet, maple syrup, chocolate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
allmyvinyl (6301) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - JUL 12, 2015
Bottle at Craig’s. Pours black with a thin tan head. Aromas of dried mint, chocolate, light booze note. Taste is herbal, chocolate, coconut. Chocolate finish.
12th July, gusher tasting

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
DCLawyer (1863) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2015
Draft->snifter. 2014 keg. Black with bare tan head. A: maple syrup, vanilla, oak, bourbon, chocolate, coffee. T: more of the same, great notes in great balance together. Also had a 4oz bottle pour of the 2011 at Churchkey’s cellar rarities event in early 2014. Amazing, all the aspects settling together in perfect unison. My rating is for the aged one.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
John25 (1067) - Middletown, New Jersey, USA - JUN 23, 2015
Draft 10oz pour. - way too cold at first but, I let it warm up. Pitch black. Aroma is mainly maple syrup, some coffee and roast notes, some spice. The taste adds the coffee and chocolate with perfect balance. Near perfect mouthfeel - rich but, not heavy, warm and boozy finish, maple syrup throughout but, not too sticky. Unbelievable!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Blairgus (3310) - California, USA - JUN 19, 2015
30 May 2015, tap at Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival. Black. Nose is sweet, bitter spiced milky coffee. Ned body and mildly fizzy. Some coffee but lots of brown sugar and maple syrup. Outstanding!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
PartyFowle (624) - - JUN 17, 2015
Draft. Inky black with a frothy cinnamon-colored head. Gotta let this one warm to appreciate the aroma, which is like a pancake soaked in maple syrup, with added notes of sharp coffee, vanilla, booze and blueberries. The flavor’s very similar to KBS, but with maple syrup slathered over its rougher edges. Coffee is still bright and bitter, but the added sweetness balances things out and complements the dark berry notes. Roasted, burnt flavors are subdued but do settle in near the finish. No hiding this ABV, though -- alcohol heat is rough. Syrupy (haha) medium body; mild CO2. Great flavor contribution from the syrup -- I love how it enhances and expands on what I get from KBS. The coffee flavor is still a little sharp and acidic for me, but the overall blend is pretty incredible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Cosmo6644 (86) - Illinois, USA - JUN 10, 2015
At wbf, aroma is great, maple bourbon, vanilla, and chocolate. Taste just does not come together that well, maple just covers some of the flavors I love about kbs, just a meh stout imop ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone