overall

RATINGS: 636   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Ale Brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

broozer81's rating

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
broozer81 (106) - , New Jersey, USA - OCT 23, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 29, 2011 750ml bottle. Phenomenal brew, delicious, ambrosial, appetizing, choice, dainty, delectable, delightful, delish, distinctive, divine, enjoyable, enticing, exquisite, fit for king, gratifying, heavenly, luscious, lush, marshmallows, mouthwatering, out of this world, palatable, piquant, pleasant, rare, rich, sapid, savory, scrumptious, spicy, sweet, tasteful, tasty, tempting, titillating, toothsome, well-prepared, well-seasoned, yummy Founders is just bananas.... I canít say enough... Itís that good....

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
umich03jm (2231) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - JAN 28, 2015
Tap at Founders. Black pour with a small creamy head that fades to a nice film with a ring. Complex aroma of moderate bourbon, lots of oak, mild milk chocolate, mint, light maple, and a hint of coffee. Tastes just slightly sweet and so smooth. Perfect balance of flavors. Chocolate, coffee, maple, and bourbon mostly. Some dark fruit and red grapes show up in the finish, especially after warming a bit. Incredible mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy with an ultra soft carbonation. Incredible beer. Not up there with my favorites but I can see why it would be for some.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Petkus331 (291) - Redford, Michigan, USA - JAN 27, 2015
Aroma of chocolate, nutella, clay, grape skittles and grape jam. Giant caramel foam head, genius lace, deep dark brown appearance. Taste is more chocolate than chocolate - wow! Dry chocolate powder, a touch of grape, balanced chocolate bitterness with sweet japanese black coffee. A little watery but still fizzy. One of the best beers I have ever had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
firstsip (525) - Michigan, USA - JAN 27, 2015
Tap. Pitch black. Beautiful tan head. Nice lacing. Mild nose of coffee and booze. Succuent, smooth body. Perfect balance of boozy, rich chocolate, mild maple. Like an eminently drinkable beer, despite its punch.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
biggsbowler (392) - Port St. Lucie, Florida, USA - JAN 26, 2015
Draft - dark black pour. Maple, coffee, bourbon, and oak in the nose. Chocolate and coffee with maple syrup, vanilla, and bourbon. Itís really tasty. I had two glasses and I rarely do that.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beardaxe (282) - - JAN 26, 2015
On draft at Reds Alehouse. Upon some good, advice, I took an initial sip then waited a long while for it to warm up. The warmer this beer got, the more I liked it. Smells and tastes a lot like KBS, with a deep sweetness that doesnít always stand out as maple. I was expecting stronger maple flavor here, but for the most part this is a balanced, nuance take on KBS.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hop__head (22) - Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2015
Sweet, maple syrup, bourbon, malty, boozy, chocolate, coffee. Great beer. Way better as it warms. Maple makes this beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cards04 (1939) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - JAN 23, 2015
Wow. I caught my white whale. Never thought I would be able to try this. Pours black with tan head. Aromas are.... Breakfast. Syrup, coffee, pancakes, booze. Thick and rich mouthfeel. Sweet maple syrup flavors, roasted malt, coffee. This was everything I had hoped it would be. So damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
574deadzone (1111) - North Central, Indiana, USA - JAN 22, 2015
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2015 5 oz. surprise pour. I didnít take notes because I was enjoying time with friends. Nice whiskey kick on the end, and the maple syrup didnít really play into the aroma or taste as much as the body. It was sticky. Like a little bit slopped over the glass when it was poured and my hand was sticky afterward. Decadent and rich, basically what I always imagined it would be. This was my white whale: the beer I missed out on when it was first released in bottles. Then I heard kegs were going around MIchigan and I was still like "fuck, I canít go up there, so Iíll miss it again. Oh well..." And then lo and behold, one tiny 1/4 barrel shows up at the coolest beer bar in my area, and Iíll be goddamned if I didnít haul ass over there and get some. Met up with some good people and enjoyed the occasion. Thatís what this is all about. Even though I did have some road rage on the way there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RussianDragon (564) - - JAN 19, 2015
On tap at Whole foods Fair Lakes. What a crazy event. Pours a clear deep reddish dark brown nearing black with fading beige head that clings to the plastic sampler. Aroma is sweet and complex: roast, char, sweet maple syrup, vanilla and boozy character. Flavor is same, with an overly sweet maple finish. Itíd be nice to try this with some age. Full silky body, muted carbonation, huge bourbon-soaked finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Weezel (218) - Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2015
Wow this is good. On draft at Gnarly Barley 3 Year anniversary. Thick black pour with tan head. Luscious mouthfeel with chocolate, leather and honey notes. The maple syrup shines through with just a hint of bourbon from the barrel aging. Balanced with big flavors.