overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 1417   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Big and delicious for your ’perty mouth. Expect lovely, warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts. A bit of earthy spice and a scintilla of dark cherries. It’s a kick-back sipper made to excite the palate.

foundersfan (30) - Ohio, USA - NOV 1, 2009
Bottle. Dangerously tasty with solid hints of bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Great twist on a Scottish Ale. I LOVE this stuff!

Daenja (5) - - NOV 22, 2011 does not count
12 oz. Bottle to glass. Bourbon on the nose, start and finish. Great malt flavor that shines through in the middle. I bought one bottle to try, then went back the next day to buy the remaining 3 the store had. I’m planning on sharing 2 with my beer loving family members, and aging the last bottle for next year. I already can’t wait till next year!

AWMiller (512) - Mansfield, Texas, USA - NOV 29, 2011
Fan-freakin-tastic! Of the Scotch Ales (a.k.a. Wee Heavy) that I have tasted, this one is one of the best!! My thanks to Larry for the gift of this fine brew as I can’t find it in my area and we need to start carrying it! Wonderful scents of robust bourbon, dark fruits and vanilla. Gimme a case of these and leave me alone! Go easy on this brew as the alcohol is so well hidden. Some smoked venison or wild boar fajitas would pair oh so well!

timc100 (314) - Park Ridge, Illinois, USA - NOV 2, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 1, 2013 Outstanding. HUGE bourbon and incredibly rich caramel characters - vanilla and some coconut, wood, caramel - rich butterscotch and toffee. Taste is very sweet as well with big bourbon, wood, and caramel - very sweet and very smooth, soothing burn like a good bourbon. I am very excited to see what this drinks like with some age one it - already getting notably better with a few months on it. An outstanding beer that reveals something new with each drinking experience.

Pumah25 (5) - Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA - NOV 7, 2012 does not count
Aroma- sweet scent of Bourbon Appearance- Taste- follows the nose sweet beautiful lingering Palate- thin but lasting Overall one of the best beers I have ever had. It fits my palate perfectly.

Hartung32 (216) - Indiana, USA - NOV 10, 2012
I kept trying to find something wrong with it, but I couldn't find anything. Really like drinking a fine spirit. Boozy, but balanced with soft hints of vanilla. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mcox90 (1545) - Wilton, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 21, 2013
12 oz bottle. What can I say. This was simply outstanding. Gorgeous deep red pour, kind of a claret color, with an almost non existent thin beige ring of a head. Wonderful bourbon/vanilla/oak wood aroma. Flavor was sweet, but not syrupy or cloying. Lots of brown sugar, cherry notes, citrus hops all blanketed with the oak it rested in. Bourbon flavor as well, but ever so perfect. Not overwhelming. Full bodied, smooth and gut warming. Wonderful!

richieo93 (2) - Ivyland, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 24, 2013 does not count
From the minute you crack the cap off, this beer has it all going on. The taste of caramel, vanilla, and bourbon are a wonderful mix. The golden color is appealing. The overall taste, appearance, and aroma make this bourbon barrel brew one of the best. Perfect for chilling in your favorite chair watching your favorite ice hockey team.

dwarner5030 (8) - Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2013 does not count
One of the best scotch ale I have ever had. Rich flavors of scotch and oak. A must try if you are fond of scotch ale.

BackyardDogs (41) - South Carolina, USA - NOV 10, 2013
Sip and enjoy you Founders lovin bastards because this brew has character. Full, sweet, and full of barrel aged Scotch love. Not for kids, when Bam Bam grew up he drank this. I suggest pairing this beer with Sling Blade. 5 stars, I reckon.... ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone