overall

RATINGS: 3139   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
You’ve got to love coffee to truly appreciate this phenomenal brew. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and sweetened imported chocolates, Sumatra and Kona coffee. We’re actually not sure if this is some type of coffee cake or a beer. Either way you can drink this ale with a fork. Breakfast Stout has an intense fresh roasted coffee nose toped with a cinnamon colored frothy head that seems to never fade and makes you wish breakfast could last forever.

HopsWhisperer (10) - , North Carolina, USA - OCT 28, 2008
The first comment I have about this beer is to make sure you let it warm before drinking. The drinking experience improves dramatically as this beer warms. If I were to close my eyes when smelling this beer, I would swear I was smelling a fresh brewed cup of coffee. Bittersweet cocoa and fresh ground coffee beans prevail. It is black as night, with a cinnamon (yes, the label is very accurate) colored head that is slow to build and leaves bits of lace dotting the sides of the tulip glass all the way down. As I drink this, I am reminded of dark chocolated covered espresso bean candies. Bitter cocoa followed by a bitter coffee flavor. A slight hint of alcohol is also present. Mouthfeel is fairly thick, with a definite warming all the way down. The flavor clings to my mouth, not wanting to really disappear even after several minutes. Overall, I had quite high expectations for this beer. I can’t say it has let me down, but I am also not sure that it is the best big stout I have had. But if you are an Imperial Stout lover, don’t miss it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
badlizard (5535) - Berkeley, California, USA - OCT 27, 2008
Bottle from Lone Hill. Black with a small dark brown head. Sweet earthy chocolate and coffee aroma. Dark chocolate taste with a big earthy grain and coffee bitterness finishing somewhat dry. Pretty good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 26, 2008
The first bottle I drank was very heavy on the coffee smell and flavor. The second bottle seemed more oatmeal and chocolate. Anyway, the beer looked the same both times: black with a nice brown head. The mouth-feel was very smooth and the drinkability was pretty good. I liked this one a lot more the second time I drank it. I did enjoy this one more than the Terrapin Wake-N-Bake which is a very good beer itself. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 02-21-2007 16:02:07

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kosko20 (350) - Hopewell Junction, New York, USA - OCT 26, 2008
A good brew but I do love coffee and this isn’t a good example of a great coffee beer. Black pour, minimal tan head. Aroma is coffee with some chocolate and caramel notes. Flavor is much of the same.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
KieferUGA (461) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - OCT 25, 2008
12 oz. bottle. Pitch black pour. Thin, light tan head. Aroma of chock full of coffee. There are also some dark chocolate undertones. Flavor is also of dark black coffee. Some hop bitterness as well. Long bitter finish with warming alcohol tagging along for the ride. What a knockout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
CoachJT (35) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - OCT 25, 2008
12 oz bottle pour - picth black with a thin brown head. Aroma of black coffee and dark, semi-sweet chocolate. Great rich, creamy mouthfeel, with flavor to match aroma. Fantastic beer, I plan to take these on my next camping trip and truly have them for breakfast. Wow, wow, wow.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JaBier (5286) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - OCT 25, 2008
Sampled at the stout tasting at Blacklick Wine & Spirits on 10/13/08. Pours pitch black with a minimal head. Aroma is coffee, coffee, coffee and a little bit of chocolate. Flavor is pretty much the same. Pretty good hop balance and an outstanding all around brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
tmohr (37) - Illinois, USA - OCT 24, 2008
12 oz bottle - pours pitch black with a brown head. Coffee and chocolate in aroma. Coffee flavor at beginning, with bittersweet chocolate. Damn tasty.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcwattsrugger (11359) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - OCT 24, 2008
12oz bottle-pours a thin dissipating brown head and black color. Aroma is coffee, roasty, some sharpness. Taste is ash/coffee/roasty-dark malt, some sharpness/acidic. Not my taste. Thanks jwc215 for sharing.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
phiconners (149) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 23, 2008
On tap at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester. Dark and creamy with a medium tan head. Excellent, rich flavor, some coffee comes through. Top notch.