overall

RATINGS: 2878   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Youíve got to love coffee to truly appreciate this phenomenal brew. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and sweetened imported chocolates, Sumatra and Kona coffee. Weíre actually not sure if this is some type of coffee cake or a beer. Either way you can drink this ale with a fork. Breakfast Stout has an intense fresh roasted coffee nose toped with a cinnamon colored frothy head that seems to never fade and makes you wish breakfast could last forever.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrHomolka (761) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 5, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Fresh 12oz stubby. I really wanted to drink this for breakfast but I couldnít wait 12 hours. Pours very black with a dark, rusty colored head that is small and doesnít stick around too long. Aroma is unambiguous coffee. Strong, rich, and roasty. It has a tiny bit of that old coffee ground smell that I detected in the KBS but here it is very minor and not at all distracting. The coffee aroma is pleasant and enticing. The intense coffee aroma drowns out pretty much everything else in the smell with the exception of some roastiness. Almost smells like pure coffee. A bunch of coffee in the taste as well. Roasty, rich, lightly bitter coffee from start to finish. The taste is a little one dimensional, though the coffee is a good flavor. If I try really hard I can taste some chocolate in the finish. The biggest downside is the body, which is way too thin for this beer. A nice, thick, creamy mouthfeel would have rocked my world but instead it was much thinner than anticipated. Bummer. While this beer certainly uses a coffee flavor better than almost any beer I can think of, its one-dimensional character and lack of body makes this fall considerably short of its potential. RE-RATE. After going through several more 4 packs I realize I underrated this beer. Sure the mouthfeel is still a bit thin but when drinking this next to other coffee stouts the true character comes out. The flavor and aroma on this are really spectacular. And this satisifies both my desire for beer and coffee, which no other beer has done before. This is great, it just took me a bit to figure that out.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
theisti (3175) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - OCT 4, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 25, 2008 12oz. bottle from mreusch. (most likely the 2006). Even upon opening the bottle, there is a big roasted coffee aroma. Pour is more or less pitch black, with a really nice looking deep tan head. Head retention is very solid, comprising of strong small bubbles. Aroma in the glass is a bit less of the coffee, and more of the malt and oatmeal. Really nice roastiness. Additionally, there is some bright hoppiness in the nose as well. The taste is big coffee flavor. I would say that the only other beer I have had that is close to this "coffeeness" is the Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. The coffee taste is broken at the finish with some nice hoppiness. As I got used to the coffee, the additional complexities of this beer really started to come through. Dark chocolate comes through. Also, the oatmeal gives this a very nice mouth feel - itís very silky and smooth. Thanks for this one, Matt - youíre a very generous guy.

fonefan (34188) - VestJylland, DENMARK - OCT 1, 2007
Bottle. [ Courtesy of kmweaver ] Dark black color with a huge, rocky, excellent lacing, fully lasting, light brown to brown head. Aroma is malty, roasted, burnt, dark chocolate, strong coffee beans. Flavor is moderate sweet and heavy bitter with a long duration. ( Coffee and chocolaste bitter ). Body is medium, texture is oily, carbonation is soft. ;o) (220807)

reakt (950) - Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 24, 2007
Bottle at Chris_Oís, thanks to Harry. Black with a tan head and an oily pour. Coffee dominates the aroma but thereís some roasted malt and hops in there also. Coffee and bittersweet chocolate with some earthyness and cereal. It is like all the elements of breakfast rolled into one, Mikey likes it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MesandSim (7119) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - SEP 23, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2008 A Mes rate: Bottle at Chris_Oís HogTownHarry minifest.
Thanks again to Harry. Absolutely loved this one. Iím a real sucker for stout with coffee and this really hit the spot. Black and tan looks with a nice thick consistency. Lovely malts, amazing fresh hoppage and heavy heavy black coffee. Really amazing stuff. Perhaps a little straight down the line but the balance of flavour and that huge slew of coffee left me wanting so much more once I had drained my glass. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 20, 2007
An excellent stout that stands out. Poured a dark brown light black, with a small head. Great smell of chocolate, coffee and a bitter smell that I cannot identify. First taste was of a thin liquid with a awesome palate. Starts bitter with coffee ends on a sweet note with the chocalate taste apparent. Wish I had more than one bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drewbeerme (3879) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 16, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2008 on tap. pours black with creamy tan head. nose is really nice, fresh coffee aromas with chocolate and toffee. flavor is much of the same, really tasty stuff. mouth feel is med, not thick and syrupy making this really drinkable. no alcohol taste. wow this is like one of those smaller imperial stouts but it really tastes like the bigger ones. iím enjoying this a lot more on tap than i ever did in the bottle.4.2.

11/13/07, had a fresh bottle of this and it was the most enjoyable FBS from the bottle I can recall. Almost as good on tap, i really think freshness is the key with this stout. the coffee just really works with the beer when fresh..4.1.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - SEP 15, 2007
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2007 Bottle from iowaherkeye. Thanks! Twist off the cap and a fog appears as if hiding something evil. A whiff of bitter chocolate follows. I pour into my snifter revealing a tiny medium bubble dark tan head, that quickly dissipates to a small bubble ring around the glass. The liquid is pitch black. The aroma is smokey and earthy. A tiny bit more roasty aroma for than I prefer. Possibly too young. Initial sweet pleasing palate extremely quickly morphs into the bitter astrigency of putting cocoa powder on your tongue. Too harsh. Not my cup of tea, or I should say my cup of beer. My 3.5 rating is generously skewed because the beer is rated high. I just donít prefer these coffee stouts, probably in the same way I strongly prefer coffee with cream and sugar. This is too dry and the coffee roastiness overpowers everything.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - SEP 4, 2007
Bottle purchased at the brewery. Pours a pitch black with a gorgeous frothy tan head. Palate is a bit thin but being that this is just a "stout" I guess thatís to be expected. Aroma is slightly bitter coffee, but it seems to have mellowed out a bit since the last one I had. Flavor is roasted malts, coffee, with a nice bittering hop finish. I actually enjoyed this more than I anticipated.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
gunnfryd (10201) - Kristiansand, NORWAY - SEP 2, 2007
Bottle. Black colour with a tan head. Aroma is coffee, hop, roasted. Flavour is coffee, hop, roasted, sweet, chocolate. Coffee and bitter finish. very nic beer.