overall

RATINGS: 2937   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Youíve got to love coffee to truly appreciate this phenomenal brew. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and sweetened imported chocolates, Sumatra and Kona coffee. Weíre actually not sure if this is some type of coffee cake or a beer. Either way you can drink this ale with a fork. Breakfast Stout has an intense fresh roasted coffee nose toped with a cinnamon colored frothy head that seems to never fade and makes you wish breakfast could last forever.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAY 2, 2005
Space black, thick mocha colored head. As this neared room temp, a rich nose of chocolate covered espresso beans and caramel waft from my snifter. Additional notes of charred roasted coffee grounds follow closely behind. Flavor is all about coffee ground bitterness, dark chocolate, and ashy hops. Medium to full bodied, light carbonation, super dry, bitter coffee finish. Fantastic brew from these guys....

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
3fourths (8104) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - APR 29, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 25, 2012 Itís what Iíve always wanted. A coffee infused stout fit for a morning drink... honestly, there are times when I wanted to crack a Shakespeare or Chocolate stout in the morning for a pick-me-up. For someone who can only drink high octane dark roast coffees, I love them thick, black, bitter and hearty. Founders Breakfast Stout is everything I love about coffee put inside a great stout. Hearty, thick nose of espresso beans and dark chocolate... some light toffee notes hidden away deep, and to be honest I canít find much else behind the montrous nose of dark roast coffee beans. Not that itís a problem, the aroma is well formulated and soothing on the senses. Initially a little biting bitterness on the lips, then milky thick and creamy sweet bakers chocolate and rich, sticky fudge cake, before a medium potency explosion of aggresive, bitter black coffee flavor over the tongue. Finished out with a moderate coating of coffee beans, toffee, cream, chocolate pastries and a kick of ultrasour butterscotch and high octance java. It certainly is unique. What would make it one of the best stouts in the world? How about a slightly higher gravity with some alcohol and smoky, burnt malts showing up. I guess that is what I find so appealing and addicting about Speedway. This one is not far off, however.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 29, 2005
Twist off cap...cool. I would definetly drink this in the morning if I had a hangover. Iím probably one of the only ones not to rate the aroma very high but it does smell exactly like an old coffeee filter that you throw out when your done with the pot. In fairness to the bottle I am drinking, it is extremely fresh, I had my local wine store order a case and I just picked it up a few hours ago. Also I have no choice but to compare this to Bells Java Stout which I just had and rated a full blown 5 because of how much I loved it. On to the beer. Black, opaque pour with a thick brown head into a dirty glass. Mmmmm. Heavy black coffee taste, super smooth and full bodied. Not complex, but like I said this is pretty fresh, and also I understand that nuance was probably not what they were going for in brewing this beer. Decent alcohol warming but I was able to chug a bottle and then savor a second. I donít drink coffee by itself but I love it in my beer. Excellent stout but if I could only buy one between this and the Bells, itís Java Stout almost every time.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Dickinsonbeer (5077) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - APR 26, 2005
Poured and let to sit out for about 15 minuted before I actually took my first smell or taste, just to see how it looked. It poured jet-black with only a slight head at first so I poured a little more vigorously at the end and it almost looked like nitrogen bubbles coming down the side of the glass but there was no nitro in the bottle obviously. After letting sit for 15 min the head decreased from a little more than an inch to about 1/4 inch but is still there in a tight knit pattern. Also left a perfect unbroken curtain of tiny bubbled dark lace around the rim of the shaker. Aroma is initially roasted coffee beans, almost more ground coffee aroma then a brewed coffee. Which reminds me that this smells exactly like the homebrew I made by throwing 1/2 lb of lightly ground dark coffee beans right into the secondary. However, as this warms the coffee aroma blends nicely with rich dark and bittersweet chocolate, a hint of hazelnut and a nice amount of roasted malt. Very low carbonation which allows for the smoothness of this beer to come through nicely as well as allowing the full rich and complex flavors to develop. The first thing you notice as you take your first sip, besides the low carbonation, is the fact that this beer is overwhelmingly thick and extremely full bodied. Coats the entire mouth and stays for a while leaving all the powerfull flavors to linger. Freshly brewed strong black coffee is the initial flavor but a strong roasted malt character soon follows and blends nicely with the coffee. Chocolate is in there as well to create a nice balance. The oatmeal is used in just the right amount to create an exceptionally smooth beer, but also not too much as to destroy the beautiful head and lace due to its oils (Think Sam Smiths Oatmeal Stout). Some burnt black malts are noticed towards the end and adds to a slight acrid feel to the end that is actually very welcome. No doubt this adds that dark as night black appearance and it really goes nice with all the coffee in here. Low to medium hopping as the finish is just rightly balanced to give a good finish and not to become cloying. In fact it might actually come out tad harsh in the finish and create a slight sensation in the back of my throat now that I think about it. Still one of the best overall stouts in the world. Many thanks to Eyedrinkale for the trade!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chrisfrey (15) - Franklin, Wisconsin, USA - APR 26, 2005
The pour was thick, but not clingy. The color is very dark and opaque. The aroma is coffee and chocolate. The beer drink very smooth, with powerful coffee and roast flavors, offset by chocolate and alcohol. It is a very balanced beer. The coffee flavor is not as prevalent as the Peche Mortel orJava Stout (by Bells), which is a good thing. The Breakfast Stout is much more balanced than those beers. And considering that at $0.23/oz compared to the $0.77 for Peche Mortel and I can find it much easier, I would say it is a much better beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hairofthedog (419) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 25, 2005
The aroma was full of raost, coffee, alcohol esters and a hint of chocolate/licorice note. The flavor had smoked wood, coffee, chocolate note, and a hint of roast. The beer poured an opaque color w/ very, very slight head and very slight lacing. The mouthfeel was full bodied, well-rounded, and creamy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 23, 2005
Pours a thick dark black with a nice creamy dark brown head that leaves a sticky lacing in my glass. Fresh ground coffee and chocolate aromas, bitter coffee and chocolate flavors, full bodied with a thick, smooth and creamy mouthfeel, almost like a chocolate shake. Nice lasting chocolate aftertaste, this is one awesome stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 23, 2005
pitch black. creamy and smooth. taste is of some of the best coffee i have ever had! i would drink this for breakfast if i could get my hands on more. the prominant coffee is balanced out by dark chocolate. this is a well crafted stout. thanks to avaulteriam for the bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - APR 22, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2006 2/3/06. Poured out of 12 oz. bottle, obtained in a trade with footbalm on RateBeer 3/16/05. Rated blind. RERATE. Deep black-brown color, almost completely opaque with dark fudge-brown edges and an impressivly full, tight brown head. Lacing is very good where it falls-- finely packed, slow and almost completely uniform-- but itís a little shy at times and doesnít show on every tilt of the glass. Slightly vinous aroma with lightly acidic roasty, toasty essence, a little sweetness, and some cocoa powder. Rounded flavor has light acidity and supple roast, teetering back and forth between oatmeal stout and dry stout, even with hints of underripened berry acidity and bite. Richly slick, coating full body, somehow still quite soft, very balanced between sweet and dry. Amazingly varied and shifting finish with some bakerís chocolate and soft chocolate-covered espresso bean, just enough hop presence to lend some slight mintiness. Long and lean, begging for the next sip. Some stickiness on the lips. Fantastic beer. (Blind rating: 8/5/9/5/18/4.5) 4/14/05. Poured out of 12 oz. bottle, obtained in a trade with footbalm on RateBeer 3/16/05. This review is dedicated to Eric at Stuffed Sandwich, whose bitch-ass almost made me not rate this beer that Iíve been dying to try. Deep brown in color with some asshole talking in my ear. Super soft and fluffy oatmeal and coffee. Beautiful dark chocolate nose with a milky roundness in the flavor, a faint roast acidity for perfect balance. Rich, soft chocolate with really delicious black licorice. Roast and dry burnt char, matching exquisitely with the slightest hint of dark burnt sugar. Mouthwatering soft-- I canít get over how smooth and creamy this is. Up-and-down alcohol heat with chocolate-espresso pep. A beautiful beer to show a new, perfected dimension of what beer can be. So luscious and dry at the same time, inky but just enough chocolate and coffee hanging out to let it linger in my mind, mouth, and soul. My kind of beer. (Original rating: 9/4/9/5/19/4.6) Final rating above reflects some kind of an average between two ratings.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cottonbrown (6) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 21, 2005 does not count
12 oz. bottle. I tried this a while back when I first started getting into beer and hated it. Now that I have a few more beers under my belt I decided to give it another try, and I canít get enough of it now. Nice thick pour with a light tan head. Aroma is of huge coffee witha little chocolate. Amazing body on this stuff, it seems to coat everything all the way down. Flavor again is insane amounts of coffee with tones of chocolate and finishes with a bit of espresso. Iím very glad I gave this one another shot.