overall

RATINGS: 631   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Ale Brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

FURLYSURIOUS's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - JUL 24, 2012
Big thanks to crunkchiggin2002 for getting this fine specimen to me! Poured from the bottle to a small brandy snifter. Vintage 2011 and an extremely high fill. Pours an inky jet black with edges of mahogany clarity. A finger of soft brown head swells and then recedes to a fine milky collar. Fantastic lacing and a bit of legging. Massive on the nose - bourbon is far more apparent than I was anticipating. Cocoa puffs, caramel, faint bitter coffee, rich sweet syrupy bits, more cocoa, molasses, maple, burnt wood, so incredibly complex. Not cluttered, just very intriguing. Holy fuck. No wonder this thing was so hard to get. If I had any of this sitting in my basement, I can guarantee you that I wouldnít be giving any up. I canít dissect the flavors without first mentioning the perfect velvet consistency. That said, the flavors are monstrous and varied - the maple-y bourbon takes the lead, big cocoa, more simple syrup, a touch of black licorice, more booze than I had hoped for, vanilla, caramel, charred wood, milk chocolate. Likely the most complex beer that Iíve ever had. Delicious and challenging. This beer is fantastic. I probably wonít try to land another bottle as it cost me an arm and a leg, but I am very glad that I sprung for it just this once. Highly, highly recommended. And if you have the ammunition to land a bottle, fucking do it.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hop__head (22) - Wisconsin, USA - JAN 23, 2015
Sweet, maple syrup, bourbon, malty, boozy, chocolate, coffee. Great beer. Way better as it warms. Maple makes this beer

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cards04 (1932) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - JAN 23, 2015
Wow. I caught my white whale. Never thought I would be able to try this. Pours black with tan head. Aromas are.... Breakfast. Syrup, coffee, pancakes, booze. Thick and rich mouthfeel. Sweet maple syrup flavors, roasted malt, coffee. This was everything I had hoped it would be. So damn good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
574deadzone (1106) - North Central, Indiana, USA - JAN 22, 2015
5 oz. surprise pour. I didnít take notes because I was enjoying time with friends. Nice whiskey kick on the end, and the maple syrup didnít really play into the aroma or taste as much as the body. It was sticky. Like a little bit slopped over the glass when it was poured and my hand was sticky afterward. Decadent and rich, basically what I always imagined it would be. This was my white whale: the beer I missed out on when it was first released in bottles. Then I heard kegs were going around MIchigan and I was still like "fuck, I canít go up there, so Iíll miss it again. Oh well..." And then lo and behold, one tiny 1/4 barrel shows up at the coolest beer bar in my area, and Iíll be goddamned if I didnít haul ass over there and get some. Met up with some good people and enjoyed the occasion. Thatís what this is al about. Even though I did have some road rage on the way there.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
RussianDragon (564) - - JAN 19, 2015
On tap at Whole foods Fair Lakes. What a crazy event. Pours a clear deep reddish dark brown nearing black with fading beige head that clings to the plastic sampler. Aroma is sweet and complex: roast, char, sweet maple syrup, vanilla and boozy character. Flavor is same, with an overly sweet maple finish. Itíd be nice to try this with some age. Full silky body, muted carbonation, huge bourbon-soaked finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Weezel (217) - Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2015
Wow this is good. On draft at Gnarly Barley 3 Year anniversary. Thick black pour with tan head. Luscious mouthfeel with chocolate, leather and honey notes. The maple syrup shines through with just a hint of bourbon from the barrel aging. Balanced with big flavors.

Countbeer (4825) - Best of E-Town mit ein Brauhaus, NETHERLANDS - JAN 17, 2015
Bottle (75cl) Thanks Ferillo: Shared with Iluvatarmilan: Served at room temperature in a Chouffe glass: Black beer with a small dark beige light brown head. Aromas of loads of wood, some sweet wood, liquorice, mint, roast, hint of maple and a marzipan sprinkle. Flavours of wood, liquorice, maple, sweet wood, liquorice wood, hint of vanilla, some custard, mint, tobacco, laurel... Aftertaste is a mix of bitters, hay roast, maple, wood, laurel and some other spices... Low carbo, light creamy close to silky mouthfeel and close to full bodied.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Experiment_Ale (1052) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 17, 2015
At The Common Table with group. Pours black with layer of grey head. Aroma is dark chocolate, dark toasted notes, slight sweetness. Taste is gooey chocolate brownie, hint of chocolate almonds, nice really roasted sweetness. Savory dessert that is not too sweet. Brownie crust.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dr_Fellini (633) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - JAN 17, 2015
Draft at big bold beer fest. Pours a pitch black color with a creamy medium brown head. Aroma is light roasted malts, sweet brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup. Flavor is sweet , syrupy, chocolate, roasted malts. Wonderful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
chinchill (2267) - South Carolina, USA - JAN 16, 2015
[Iíve had this on tap on two occasions. This is a review from notes to be revised next time I have some ... should I be so lucky]. A - a dark black color with a typical tan head S&T - very complex, with an amazing series of flavors as one savors a sip. Coffee, oatmeal, bourbon are among main components of taste and aroma. Maple syrup used in aging makes a subtle but significant contribution to this wonderful drink. Long-lasting taste and well-balanced taste components, if a trifle sweet. M - full bodied with adequate carbonation. This is the best stout/porter Iíve ever had! I tried Founders KBS at the same time. The taste, balance and complexity of the CBS were clearly superior, but then I am not a fan of bourbon which is a bit more pronounced flavor component in the KBS

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bob_w (332) - new york, New York, USA - JAN 15, 2015
Rich, full body, full flavor, viscous, sweet, treacle, toffee warming. Super delicious, satisfying. Depth and complex sugar experience.