overall

RATINGS: 1310   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bretupdegraff (242) - Fishers, Indiana, USA - OCT 17, 2008
dark copper brown pour with nice small head that left very nice lacing - armoa was not very strong but smelled of malts, palate is smooth and silky= flavor is of malt/dark fruit - at first I thought this was not going to match my taste with the dark fruit but I couldn’t stop drinking it. nice balance of Malt and Hops for my taste. I like the malt but need the bitter offset to please my palate! This Old Ale reminds me of the Sam Adams that I had at the Oyster Bar in Boston (that was made solely for the restaurant) Since, I likely won’t be in Boston again soon, I am glad I found this one - in fact I think this is better as there is more of a hoppy presence. Hides the ABV well in taste! I wish I lived in Grand Rapid so I could enjoy more Founders!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 8, 2006
Pours a dark copper/ruby/brown color with no head to speak of unlees agitated. Crazy aroma of of brandy and bourbon and vanilla and oak an licorice. Very peculiar in a great way. This is a unique brew. Full bodied and sweet. Low carbonation. Slick on the palate and a flavor similiar to whiskey with corn syrup and fruit. Like Makers Mark and canned peaches. I suspect that ageing will change the character of this beer and it will be interesting to open a bottle every six months or so.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheKegergator (241) - California, USA - FEB 24, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2007 Not a bad brew. Smell and taste are like whiskey/bourbon/wine? Way to over the top on the bourbon flavor. It over rides any real beer characteristics. Maybe I need another one and need to let it sit a while...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
AtlAggie (241) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 24, 2009
Pours a murky orange, with a tiny tan head. Aroma is sweet, darkly fruity, roasted malts. Flavor follows suit, almost suggesting a barleywine, with sweet malts, toffee, and strong fruit tones (subtle citrus, apricot). Finishes with earthy notes, slight smoke and peat. Interesting, although not something I’m eager to drink too often. Alcohol is pretty well-hidden for such a big beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Hoptagon (239) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAY 31, 2009
12oz. Bottle. My 100th rating. Has a dark mahogany appearance with a thin lacing white head. Pungent nose with aged wood, bourbon and sugary fruits. Flavor is dominated by heavy doses of malt and caramel. Malt flavors manifest themselves as dark fruit, vanilla and sugarcane. Carbonation is low which lends a vintage character to the beer. Has the texture of slightly watered down maple syrup which is great because its thick, but not like drinking malt extract. Has a tiny Bourbon kick on the finish and leaves a short sugar coating on the tongue. Maybe still a bit hot at the moment, but can’t wait to see what it tastes like after a year or so.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Hollywoodt (239) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 19, 2013
Bottle (2011, I think). Poured a medium amber color with minimal white head. Aroma was a bit sweet with a hint of alcohol. The flavor was some caramel and malt with just a touch of hops. I’d get this one again, it was pretty good.

warhawk91 (238) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - JUL 10, 2013
12 oz. bottle. Pours a slightly hazy copper, with a thin wispy off-white head and good lacing. Smell is of dark fruit, oak, caramel and alcohol. Taste is bold and oaky, smoky sweet with caramel and a hint of vanilla and fruit. Nice alcohol kick on the back end that mingle with a touch of hops. Mouth feel is thick. syrupy, slightly viscous. A really nice brew, reminds me of a tamer version of the Immort Ale. The price may steer some people away.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
jarow (237) - Massachusetts, USA - MAY 31, 2010
2009 bottle. Pours dark brown with almost no head. Nose is malt malt and more malt. Caramel, some vanilla bourbony notes, slight alcohol. Smooth and quite drinkable for the strength, sweet with another heavy dose of caramel malt, bourbon.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
martin00sr (234) - Sønderborg, DENMARK - MAR 22, 2014
Clear, dark amber. Small white head. Sweet malt aroma. Taste is malty, with wood and tobacco, well rounded. Malt and sweetness well balanced by the bitterness. Low carb, long finish, bitter and perhaps lightly sour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
donrajin (233) - Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina, USA - JUL 31, 2007
This is a good beer, but seems a little potent for an Old Ale. It reminds me more of a barleywine than an old ale. Nice caramel flavors with a good supporting body to balance out all the flavor and alcohol. It just reminds me more of a barleywine