overall

RATINGS: 1465   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Holtguy (122) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 14, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2013 Dark amber color, small head. Whiskey aroma and flavor, with strong maltiness and sweetness. It’s so sweet it’s sticky. But the boozy nature of the beer, coupled with the malt and oak flavor balance this out very well i like this beer a lot. One of my all time favorites. I thought my score should reflect how highly I think of this beer. Re-rate: the 2013 batch has 9.8% abv, which I think is a tad higher than it used to be.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sparf (121) - Östersund, SWEDEN - NOV 6, 2012
Flaska på Monks Wallingatan 2012-11-06 Halvstor, kryddig arom med inslag av källare, träfat med vaniljton. Visst alkoholgenomslag. Tendens till rökighet. Förvånansvärt tunn. Dåligt skum men en vacker bärnstensfärg med lätt dis. Smakrik och komplex. Örtig och jordig på samma gång. En stor vanlijton slår igenom lite för mycket, däremot inte den starka alkoholen förvånande nog. Kunde varit mer fyllig. Eftersmaken är aromatisk med inslag av lakrits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IPAndy (120) - minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JUL 8, 2006
I think somebody put rum in mine. The mix of vanilla and bourbon barrel woodiness gives this a very rum like scent and flavor. My 4oz sample was more than enough, but it was interesting.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Augdraught1981 (119) - Harlem, Georgia, USA - AUG 23, 2013
From a year old bottle I had cellaring. Pours a dark reddish brown with thin head. Aromas of oak, vanilla, caramel, alcohol & some fruit. The palate is thick and the alcohol is evident with a lot of oak & dark sugar but not as overpoweringly sweet as I remember this being when I first tried it. The flavors have rounded out nicely over a year. Very powerful & strong ale with strong character.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
coachd (119) - Missouri, USA - APR 18, 2014
The aroma is hard to place - sort of like a scotch ale with its maltiness, but a little more spicy. Pours a great amber color with a surprisingly large off white head that takes a while to dissipate. The taste is malty but not sweet, instead bitter with some boozy undertones. Very drinkable for 9.8% ABV. Call me crazy, but I found it to taste like an imperial IPA crossed with a coffee stout. I don’t always like oak aging, but it really comes across nicely in this one, enhancing the aftertaste considerably. The palate was slick with a bitter and slightly oaky finish that lasts until your next sip. I was reluctant to try this because it says it is similar to a barleywine, which I am not a fan of. The barleywine characteristics in this one are slight, and overall it’s a must try. Founders, you have impressed me once again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
tekhna (118) - California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Boozy, sweet carmel toffee, some oak whisky and maybe a bit of butterscotch diactyl? Not sure it’s a bad thing in this instance, but threw me. Not sure what to make of this beer, but it’s most similar to a barleywine. That’s all I can think of to compare it. Not much head, very little body, but a sticky feel on the tongue. Interesting, but might not buy again. I’d like to rate it higher, I’m just thrown by this. Very unique, and good in its own right. My impression of it I think is higher than my rating.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
sm5561 (118) - Kansas City, Alabama, USA - APR 30, 2012
Amber with medium white head. Leaves some lacing. Light roasted malty aroma. Flavor is rather sweet at first with the molasses evident and a hint of oak. The finish is slightly biter. Very smooth and easy drinking for a strong beer. Light carbonation gives it a nice mouth feel but not too heavy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
edfitz (118) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - JAN 3, 2007
Smells strongly of bourbon. Brown with a lacy head. Wow is this thing smooth and malty. Sweet and smooth. The aroma of alcohol is stronger than the taste of it, which could be dangerous.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Flyer (118) - Hartland, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 17, 2007
Pours a deep cherry red, hazy, with good head but minimal lacing. Aroma of whiskey. This ale has a wonderul bourbon whiskey flavor, as much as you could possibly want, yet without coming across as a "whiskey wannabe" -- it’s an ale all the way. Additional notes of coconut, brown sugar, oak, some cherry. Nice alcohol warmth. I’m a variety lover, yet this is one of the few beers I feel like I could enjoy every day.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sandwichpants (117) - Royal Oak, Michigan, USA - NOV 15, 2006
I think it’s an 05’ bottle, but I’ve been lazy about labeling bottles before they go into the cellar, so I don’t know for sure. A very pretty beer, add a tiny bit of cloudiness and a bit more dynamic of color (I like when it’s red in the middle, yellow at the edges) and maybe a bit better head retention and this would look perfect. The aroma is a bit weak in the glass, but powerful while drinking, and it’s that of liquor. Whiskey, somewhere between bourbon and Irish whiskey to my limited understanding, but I like it. It makes me suspect this is an early 06 bottle that was barrel aged. And it’s quite enjoyable a result with the delicious caramel, vanilla, barrely flavours over a nice thick ale maltiness. Prettymuch no hop profile. Substantial body without any syrupiness. A bit of alcohol on the finish is appropriate for the experience.