overall

RATINGS: 1378   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
JDBaker11058 (1216) - Maryland, USA - OCT 23, 2010
Appearance: smooth, syrupy caramel pour, with a tiny head that vanished quickly. Aroma: booze, sweet caramel and white grapes, raisins and spices. Taste: very rich malts, sweet syrup, dark fruits, pine, minerals, and wood. Finish: sharp, slightly bitter, and very strong alchohol. Notes: Not one of my favorites. Very similar to a barleywine, one of my least favorite styles. Clearly very well-done version of an old ale, just not my type.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
JK (4376) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - NOV 20, 2007
Nearly undrinkable. The aroma is all bourbon. Flavor has a hint of sweet malt but again bourbon dominates, and even chocking down a few sips is hard. Some brown sugar in there. I suspect this was a good beer before they chose to ruin it with the barrels.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
cheap (3968) - Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 23, 2009
On tap at the Bocktown, nice place. Brownish like iced tea. Nice nifty head. Friendly clean beery aroma. with no ill olfactory. Quite an over the top alky first impression, is this barley wine? Strong on the palate, does not hide the alky one bit. In your face bitter malt. Lots of personality. Rather strong overall with very little if any carbonation. Would not purchase again, too much for this lager lover. Not what I think of when I think of old ale.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 5/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JUL 18, 2006
2006 version. Dark reddish brown pour with a diminishing off white head. Aroma is very strong in bourbon with not much else. Lots of bourbon flavor throughout the taste. A lot like doing a watered down shot of whiskey. Will aging do this beer well? I hope so. I think this beer needs have other flavors come out to taste more like a beer and less like whiskey. I enjoy beers with a touch of bourbon, but to have it dominate as it has in this beer, it is out of place.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
Boutip (4646) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 28, 2007
Bottle: Poured a deep cloudy brown color ale with a small foamy head with small rings of lacing. Aroma is super sweet, almost disgustingly so with some notes of alcohol. Taste is a huge mess between some intense sweetness, oily texture with some cloying notes of alcohol. I couldn’t find anything close to old ale but more of an American barleywine with some unbalance feature. I usually love product from this brewery but this beer did not profit from barrel-aging.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4831) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 10, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2014 This was the only beer I have had from this company that has sucked ass but suck ass it did! Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer poured a hazy dark red-brown with a trace of a tan head. The aroma was sweetish and oddly spicy. Very hard to get a handle on what the odd aroma element was. The flavor was bitter, tangy and overwhelmingly odd - spicy candied coconut was the closest I could get to identifying the weird flavor that totally dominated this beer. The odd flavor became almost painful. I had real trouble finishing the glass of this mess and would have drain poured it if I had not been at a bar.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
thedm (4925) - Fort Wayne, USA - APR 1, 2007
This bottled brew from a bottle shop poured a small sized head of foamy finely sized tan colored bubbles that were and left behind a hazy with fine particulate dark brown colored body and a poor lacing. The aroma was malty. The mouth feel was tingly at the start with a mellow finish. The weird yucky flavor wasa way off the mark for me with notes of weird maltiness. A horrible one that I would not buy again. So against the grain it looks like a rerate is in store for this one.

1.3
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
JohnnyMummbles (151) - Pitman, New Jersey, USA - DEC 1, 2010
Poured from a 12oz bottle a rich red ale with a tight tan head. Aroma was a bit sweet but somewhat nice...then I tasted it and had to spit it out! Horrible sweat and undrinkable. I do not know how this has a high rating because I love a good beer and this was staight up NASTY! Will never buy or reccoment this beer to anyone I know.