overall

RATINGS: 1537   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.08   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
A fine companion to end a meal or relax in front of the hearth with, this robust ale will cellar well for years. Brewed with ten varieties of malted barley this stout is extremely smooth, complex and rich in body. We recommend serving at cellar temperature. Sit back and enjoy its richness and complexity, youíre about to drink the ultimate winter warmer.

nathan30533 (546) - Dahlonega, Georgia, USA - APR 9, 2014
Great beer. Smell of cocoa and maybe some roasted coffee bean. Maybe. Good look and I say... Motor oil. Gets yah moving. Great job Michigan beer masters at founders.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Xenon (70) - Cary, North Carolina, USA - APR 8, 2014
This was good, but not as good as I expected. Boozy for sure, but the malty characters Iíve come to expect from I stouts was a bit subdued imo. Maybe my nose could be a little bit less stuffy though. Nothing really defining that I can find, but a pretty well rounded brew, albeit underwhelming at times. I will have to try again sometime

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
jagad5 (52) - - APR 8, 2014
Poured from a bottle brewed four months ago. Formed a very thin, foamy head. Black with a reddish tinge. Sour, bitter, and umpleasant after taste. Perhaps it?s a bad bottle. If not, i don?t get the hype. But on the plus side, it is impossible to not relax after you manage to finish the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
zimbo (482) - SCOTLAND - APR 8, 2014
Best by 24/11/2014 Beautiful looking beer with a super dark mocha head. Deep gloss black. Taste starts with some fizz before entering the dominant superbly balanced flavours of earth, black chocolate and espresso. Fantastic laving, excellent concentration. Rich mouth coating quality. Superb.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
FatPhil (8557) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - APR 7, 2014
355ml bottle
My god, one of the most fantastic to look at beers Iíve seen since I first saw Koff porter or Nogne porter - this is exquisite. As I pour I canít tell the bottom of the foam from the top of the liquid, itís so dark. Basically black, and with such a glorious dark tight tan head. Actually, that aroma reminds me of koff porter too, thereís an oily tarriness to the deliciously rich roast. Smooth palate, and fuck the carbonation - what about the motherfucking taste? Damn, oh damn, that has hit the spot. Kinda simplistic roasty stout, but if you can nail that, then Iíll give you high marks. Has that lovely US mellowness that nobody else seems to be able to do - normally I associate that with the porters, but this has just got a smooth succulent sweet mellow body, itís clearly in the same vein. Anyway, carbonation - pretty mellow, keeps with the smoothness of the palate. Alas that smoothness does become a little slick after about 50ml, but it was a fun 50ml. Totally unambiguous burntness, but sweetened to an temptingly delicious level. Itís crunk, but itís mellow - work that one out. Got the dark fruity esters, the fruit burnt to the cake tin, basically got it all. I kinda feel guilty about cracking this one open without my regular booziní buddies, but my local has just shut down, and a treat like this will hopefully cheer me up. Whilst I listen to all my favourite Led Zep tracks. The winterís cold, and harsh, still, but yes, there is some warmth in this beer. Perhaps too sweet, but as a final beer of the evening, and in my curent mood, I can forgive that.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
gschrade (460) - Collinsville, USA - APR 7, 2014
I had this at Global Brew. Pours black with a brown head. Taste roasted malt, chocolate. I thought this was ok. I could drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
al53 (59) - FINLAND - APR 7, 2014
Bottle. Black and thick as oil, dark brown head. Aroma is liquorice, cocoa, chocolate, smoke and bit alcohol. Taste is ashy, roasted malt, black chocolate, cocoa and again alcohol. Oily, thick mouthfeel with soft carbonation. Ashy, roasted, dry, anise?, bitter and alcoholic finnish. Somehow bit too alcoholic this time.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Crispy34 (326) - Texas, USA - APR 6, 2014
12oz bottle. Aroma is is dark malt with a hint of hops. Appearance is black with some tan head. Taste is dark malt and has a muted hop finish. A good stout. Palate is dark and dry with some hops. Overall, a really good stout. Would like to try bourbon barreled. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beerhammaren (891) - FINLAND - APR 6, 2014
.355l bottle from Alko Jyvšskylš Pours black with low brown head. Aroma is ash, cocoa, dark chocolate, roasted malts, bit burned, alcohol. Flavor is cocoa, dark chocolate, coffee, alcohol, ashtray, tobacco, roasted malts, burned, salty liquorice... Thick and oily mouthfeel. Swell!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TChrome (1399) - Bedford, Texas, USA - APR 6, 2014
Beer pours black with a dark tan colored head. Aromas of roasted nuts, chocolate, and earth. Taste is both sweet and bitter. A great beer.