overall

RATINGS: 2293   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sherm1016 (1271) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 14, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2011 12oz bottle, 2011 vintage. Pours a jet black with a tan head and nice lacing. Aroma is bourbon. Not too heavy on the palate with average carbonation, but maybe above average for the style. Flavor is bourbon, coffee, roasted malt, some vanilla...amazingly complex. Absolutely deserving of its reputation as one of the best beers in the world. ****Origingal Rating (4/14/10): Bottle from Otto’s on Oakland. A very big, dark stout. The bourbon flavor is not overpowering at all. Overall, this is an excellent beer, and I’m glad I have another one in the beer fridge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimmack34 (640) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2010
12 os bottle. pours a thick black with a head that is brown and creamy. Smells of burnt coffee, vanilla, nuts, and cigars. Tatstes of creamy bourbon, vanilla, coffee liquor, coconut, and chocolate. Aftertaste is is a sticky bitter buttery coffee. Awesome brew

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
keepersj12 (3051) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - APR 11, 2010
This has to be top of my list or close to it. Great looking black with a tan head. Aroma of all kinds of stuff. Vanilla, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, sweet roasted malt. Flavor has all of the same with a bit of smoke. Finishes very dry. The alcohol is barely noticeable but you will get a nice warming sensation. I never let it get to room temperature, Maybe I’ll be a little more disciplined.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1408) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 11, 2010
Bottle courtesy of HowardF from TBS...thanks! First time I could ever get my hands on this - it was a 2009. Decided to drink it when it was a bit fresher. The bourbon notes were there, but it wasn’t a big vanilla bomb. Not super overly sweet, a nice bitterness. They really masked the 11.2% ABV well. Wish I had a few more bottles because I’d love to see how it holds up for future years (anyone want to trade?).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tennisjoel (1326) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2010
When I was down in Rochester, where I’ll shortly be moving to, I discovered Whistle Binkies bar and grill, which I had heard had a good beer scene. As we entered, I noticed that one of the bartenders had a beer advocate t-shirt on, which was a good sign. We sat down and I noticed the beer list was extensive and quite solid. I noticed some Surly products which is another good sign. I first ordered a SN Bigfoot and noticed that Bells Batch 9000 was on the bottle list. When I asked, they were out of it, so then I asked for Founders Double Trouble. The next thing I know, a female waitress comes over with a bottle of Founders KBS. Now Founders is still relatively new to Minnesota. I’ve been able to try many of Founders high end beers, however, the KBS has alluded me so far (I’ve even had the Canadian Breakfast Stout). Now onto the beer: the pour is deep black, with a minimal head. Aromas of bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla. The bourbon is really well integrated here. And that is the key...make sure the bourbon is not overpowering and it’s got my attention. This beer is for the most part worthy of its hype and would rate anywhere from solid to borderline spectacular.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - APR 10, 2010
12 oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a jet black with a very small almost non-existent tan head. Aroma of dark malts with a hint of oakiness. Body is rich, full, silky, with medium to high carbonation. Flavor is of oak, vanilla and roasted malts. 11% ABV hidden extremely well. Great stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Travlr (20337) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 9, 2010
Bottle at Pizzeria Paradiso. Black. Brown head that settles quickly to an edge. Solid delicate lacing. Aroma of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coffee. Medium body. Taste has licorice, Starbucks, cocoa. The guy next to me chugged a Tokyo while I was rating this, so that spectacle might have distracted me. I hope he’s OK.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Maltajo (329) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 9, 2010
12 oz bottle. O My God! I had this early in a Friday night. All other beer paled. A fantastic pour. Deep brown head! Coffee, chocolate, cinnimon, a little cyan pepper. Delicious!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopper (827) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - APR 8, 2010
2010 bottle. Pours a super thick luscious looking inky black with a nice 2 finger tan head. The aroma was nice coffee, roast, chocolate, and alcohol. The taste was amazing with roast and coffee coming in first followed by some chocolate then the bourbon and vanilla flavors come at the end of each drink. This coats your mouth with creamy goodness followed by some hottness in the end. In my opinion this beer lives up to the hype it has been given. This is a very enjoyable beer and if you have any more bottles of this it would be hard not to drink them. I think I shall drink em.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwaggs2 (1297) - Jefferson City, Missouri, USA - APR 8, 2010
Bottle. A huge thanks to the team at Gomers in Lees Summit for letting me get a bottle of this one. Poured a pitch black color with a faint tan head. Aroma was amazing. bourbon, coffee, vanilla, and oak. Flavor was like none other. Bourbon up front, followed by roasted malts, smoke flavors, and chocolate. Finish was smokey and a little boozey. A must try.