overall

RATINGS: 2310   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1412) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 11, 2010
Bottle courtesy of HowardF from TBS...thanks! First time I could ever get my hands on this - it was a 2009. Decided to drink it when it was a bit fresher. The bourbon notes were there, but it wasnít a big vanilla bomb. Not super overly sweet, a nice bitterness. They really masked the 11.2% ABV well. Wish I had a few more bottles because Iíd love to see how it holds up for future years (anyone want to trade?).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tennisjoel (1334) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2010
When I was down in Rochester, where Iíll shortly be moving to, I discovered Whistle Binkies bar and grill, which I had heard had a good beer scene. As we entered, I noticed that one of the bartenders had a beer advocate t-shirt on, which was a good sign. We sat down and I noticed the beer list was extensive and quite solid. I noticed some Surly products which is another good sign. I first ordered a SN Bigfoot and noticed that Bells Batch 9000 was on the bottle list. When I asked, they were out of it, so then I asked for Founders Double Trouble. The next thing I know, a female waitress comes over with a bottle of Founders KBS. Now Founders is still relatively new to Minnesota. Iíve been able to try many of Founders high end beers, however, the KBS has alluded me so far (Iíve even had the Canadian Breakfast Stout). Now onto the beer: the pour is deep black, with a minimal head. Aromas of bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla. The bourbon is really well integrated here. And that is the key...make sure the bourbon is not overpowering and itís got my attention. This beer is for the most part worthy of its hype and would rate anywhere from solid to borderline spectacular.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - APR 10, 2010
12 oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a jet black with a very small almost non-existent tan head. Aroma of dark malts with a hint of oakiness. Body is rich, full, silky, with medium to high carbonation. Flavor is of oak, vanilla and roasted malts. 11% ABV hidden extremely well. Great stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Travlr (20866) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 9, 2010
Bottle at Pizzeria Paradiso. Black. Brown head that settles quickly to an edge. Solid delicate lacing. Aroma of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coffee. Medium body. Taste has licorice, Starbucks, cocoa. The guy next to me chugged a Tokyo while I was rating this, so that spectacle might have distracted me. I hope heís OK.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Maltajo (329) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - APR 9, 2010
12 oz bottle. O My God! I had this early in a Friday night. All other beer paled. A fantastic pour. Deep brown head! Coffee, chocolate, cinnimon, a little cyan pepper. Delicious!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Hopper (827) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - APR 8, 2010
2010 bottle. Pours a super thick luscious looking inky black with a nice 2 finger tan head. The aroma was nice coffee, roast, chocolate, and alcohol. The taste was amazing with roast and coffee coming in first followed by some chocolate then the bourbon and vanilla flavors come at the end of each drink. This coats your mouth with creamy goodness followed by some hottness in the end. In my opinion this beer lives up to the hype it has been given. This is a very enjoyable beer and if you have any more bottles of this it would be hard not to drink them. I think I shall drink em.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dwaggs2 (1297) - Jefferson City, Missouri, USA - APR 8, 2010
Bottle. A huge thanks to the team at Gomers in Lees Summit for letting me get a bottle of this one. Poured a pitch black color with a faint tan head. Aroma was amazing. bourbon, coffee, vanilla, and oak. Flavor was like none other. Bourbon up front, followed by roasted malts, smoke flavors, and chocolate. Finish was smokey and a little boozey. A must try.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
sunnyridge (222) - USA - APR 5, 2010
Finally got to have this one on tap!!! MMMMM. smells of bakers chocolate, bourbon and heavy coffee. Fairly similar in taste. Founders lets the coffee come out most but the taste is balanced with bourbon anf light vanilla. This is to beer what Dr, J, Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Kareem, etc are to basketball- this is a hall of fame beer. If you donít like this beer, well, then, whatever, forget you.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
ContemplateBeer (1967) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - APR 5, 2010
Aroma of bourbon, vanilla, cigar, oak, chocolate. Appearance is black with carbonated tan head that left lacing all over the glass. Flavor matches the nose, with a bourbon attack followed by a medium-bodied coffee flavor. What I really loved here is that the coffee flavor was fresh and not spent, as happens so often in the style. Palate was creamy and bubbly. Oooohhhhh yeah...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
rags2rags (149) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 4, 2010
I was lucky enough to get to try this on tap at Med Mex, served in a snifter. Pours pitch black with a finger of deep brown head. Aromas were fantastic; chocolate, coffee, vanilla, burnt sugar, and, of course, bourbon. After the wonderful aroma, the taste was a little bit of a letdown. Yes, the flavors carried over, but it was a tad on the sweet side. A good beer, but donít drink it before a meal. Save it for dessert.