overall

RATINGS: 1851   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
walleye (1067) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2007
UPDATED: APR 26, 2007 re-rate 4/26/07 Got a fresh bottle, wow what a difference between this beer and the aged one I am glad I finally got my hands on this the bourbon isn’t as strong and taste better the coffee comes out nice a small amount of smoke this was a far better beer. I guess the bottle I had didn’t age well my 1st rating was on 3/28/07 and was a 2.5 I have had this bottle for about a year and decided to give it a try a couple of days ago. All I have got to say is that either I got a bad bottle or they used some cheap bourbon barrels, ( I like jack and I do like bb beers) unless this did not age well or like I said I might have gotten a bad bottle.now the rating. poured black with a tan head that didn’t last long. aroma cocoa alcohol, coffee, smoke,did get some vanilla. flavor a nasty bourbon, ash tray, some coffee, the chocolate come out at the very end. I went looking for this beer today to buy a 4 pack at my favorite beer store and they didn’t have any I am glad they didn’t.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Pours a syrup black. Smells of sweet chocolate, toffee and bourbon. It is like drinking chocolate syrup, it is that sweet! It has a bittersweet finish with the bourbon kick.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Breakfast!!! In a bottle!!!! Awesome. Nice coffee aroma. Get the boubon in the roof of your mouth. Oats very late in the last of the glass.This beer makes you think.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Bottle: This pours black as night with a small brown head. The smell on this one is strong; I set my bottle down, walked away, but could smell it filling up the room. As I pull the glass close to my nose to take a wiff of the air, I notice a ton of smell in there: chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a presence of alcohol, smell, probably the bourbon barrel aging. The taste is much the same, roasty, coffee, vanilla, chocolate. As I continue to drink, the vanilla and bourbon flavors really start to pull through this beer. This one is a bit sticky, but definetly good. This is excellent, I wish I could get more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LinusStick (2887) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Thanks Ron at Vintage Estates for holding this for me. This has the biggest bourbon taste of any bourbon aged beer I’ve ever had. The pour was a beautiful black with a tan thin head that left quickly. The aroma was coffee and bourbon. The taste was chocolate, coffee and vanilla.After the swallow a strong bourbon taste takes over and stays for the aftertaste. This is a very complex and beautiful beer that I wish was more accessible.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
demitriustown (1092) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Bottle: Pours a pitch black with a small tan head that diminished quickly. Aroma of coffee grounds, thick malt, a slight touch of maple syrup, and chocolate cake. Taste is like drinking a chocolate cake, coffee is also noticeable with so roasted nuts on the back end. Very malty and definitely something that you need to try at least once. I think this stuff is definitely better than their regular breakfast stout. Thick, viscous, and overall a kick ass Stout. Great work Founders!!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
KingpinIPA (841) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 24, 2007
Dark color. Pours out like oil. Smell of coffee, hops, oak, malt, chocolate, oatmeal, bourbon, caramel and vanila. Taste of coffee, hops, dark chocolate, malt, oak, sugar, valina, toffee, caramel, more coffee grounds(stronger), a hint of smoke and a wonderful bourbon bitterness at the end. Just a tad bit under my favorite from Tyranena, the Who’s your daddy! What a great brew! Very smooth and enjoyable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 24, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2007 Tap at Founders...pretty friggin delicious in very much every aspect possible...nose was of fresh,strong roasted coffee (i was taking in the aroma in for a good minute or two) with some dark chocolate, and of course the woody bourbon backdrop....taste was much of the same which is to say a lot of coffee and bittersweet chocolate while being very creamy. the bourbon was nice as it wasn’t very pronounced. mouthfeel was enough to coat the mouth with its semi-sweet consistency. little carbonation at all.....to put it simply, this is one heck of a beer. awesome

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Cliff (399) - The Land of Milk and Honey, Ohio, USA - MAR 23, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 18, 2008 Bottle, my first Perfect 5 rating. This stuff was FREAKING AWESOME. Poured pitch black with huge dark brown head. Aromas of chocolate and roasted grain with a slight alcohol/bourbon note. I could sit and smell this for hours. First sip is creamy and dense with loads of complexity. Coffee, caramel, bitter hops, chocolate covered dried cherries, just so much going on. Great mouthfeel, full bodied and very viscious. Ohhh this stuff is great. And I thought regular Breakfast Stout was good...I had no idea. Re-rate - It is still very good, but I feel that my palate has gotten better over time and this beer is a bit astringent Still good, but not a 5.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Darkover (1518) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2007
Dark black with a small brown head. Aroma and flavor of smoke, coffee, chocolate, vanilla and bourbon. Plus there’s a little pepper after is warms. Body is really smooth and creamy. Finishes with coffee , dark chocolate and alcohol warmth.