overall

RATINGS: 1849   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
decaturstevo (5205) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - SEP 2, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 4, 2006 thanks kp A dark brown pour with a chococoffee aroma. A flavor of strong coffee with a kicker of chocolate. A palate that is smooth and rich a sweet ending to a hot beer. I know I say it alot but I love a IS that has a warm alc punch. I will not say that I like this beer. I love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Dickinsonbeer (5076) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - AUG 28, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2007 Pours a very dark deep thcik black with a deark tan head. Aroma is a perfect blend of the traditional coffee aromas, burnt malts, roastiness, some chocolate and then balanced with lots of bourbon but not too much. Slightly sweet flavor but cut by the harsh acidity of the burnt malts, roasted coffee, bourbon and a fair amount of oak and vanilla. Real nice harsh rich dark malts all the way through and is so damn smooth. Great BA impy stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shag (2637) - Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA - AUG 28, 2006
I was psyched to see this. A black appearance with a beige head. The aroma is whiskey and coffee. Or smells like Jim Morrisons breakfast. The body is a little lighter than I expected. The bitter and sweet balance out fairly well with chocolate and coffee present. The whiskey is always making its presence known. Good one!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Psylocke (91) - st-constant, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 27, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2007 really great smell of chocolate cake, hmm a really chocolate taste with some light roasted coffee and an end of vanilia i really like...hmm no i LOVE this great beer yummy

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
heemer77 (5108) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: APR 2, 2007 I had this one again at The Maproom in Chicago. I stand by my previous rating. While this is a solid impy stout, it doesnt blow me away. Too sweet. Previous rating follows. Thanks for the bottle, iowaherkeye. The body was black as night with a thin slightly orange and brown head. The aroma had all kinds of character with bourbon, wood, mushrooms, anise and coffee. After a little warming the alcohol becomes more apparent. The taste has a dry character with dark chocoalte, earthy ainse and some wood. This is very thick and full of flavor, and it is definitely a sipper. A decnt beer, but nothing here impressed me too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 23, 2006
Sampled at RBSG 2006 grand tasting. dark brown with lt. brown head. smells like dust, tastes like dirt. but in a good way. hmmm... burnt coffee flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
drfabulous (4173) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 23, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2011 I had this at the Michigan Beer Fest. Lots of folks like it. But Im not so sure. It leaves an intense taste in your mouth. If you want to taste only this beer for the next few hours, fine. But I dont play that way. Rerated b/c I didnt know anything back then.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Aubrey (3451) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - AUG 22, 2006
Black with deep brown edges. Nose was dusty and woody. Soft but weighty texture. Warming. Slight sourness. Faint notes of chocolate and coffee. Pinch of molasses, too. Sweet whiskey and wood. Pleasant beer, but it seemed a little muted. Or maybe it was I that was muted.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Brigadier (3095) - Clevelandish, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2006
Great Taste of the Midwest

I have not cracked any of my bottles open yet, but since it was on tap I figured I would give this one a shot. If nothing else, it might confirm that I should hang on them or trade them all away. It turns out to be the case that the truth is in between - it did not blow me away but at the same time it was a nice beer.

Aroma / Appearance - Coffee, muted bourbon notes, raisins, plums and smoke complete the nose. It smells far less like hot black coffee than the regular Breakfast Stout but it still packs quite a punch. The head was a dirty mocha color that lingered over the black body. Eventually some scents of vanilla and oak made their way into my nose as I prepared to take the first sip.

Flavor / Palate - Expresso, bourbon, vanilla, oak, plums, malts and smoke were evident in the first few sips. Unlike the aggressive coffee taste of the Breakfast Stout, this was strong yet not overpowering. I felt it might have been a little thin but the flavors are well balanced. The aftertaste comes across chocolately with a slight sweetness before finishing with some smoky notes. Very enjoyable - if I could rate it more precisely it would be only a fraction below the regular version at 3.95.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - AUG 14, 2006
12oz - Aroma is fresh coffee, bourbon, roasted malts, chocolate, and dust. Pours black with no head and good lacing. Flavor is roasted chocolate malts, hops, fresh coffee, and a touch of bourbon. The bourbon increses to the point of too much as it warms. Palate is amazingly clean for a barrel-aged imperial stout. Hides the 10% very well. This is a tasty brew but the bourbon becomes too much for my enjoyment.