overall

RATINGS: 1926   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.29   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

Hollywoodt (239) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Poured a dark brown, almost black color. Some coffee and chocolate in the aroma, as well as just a hint of the bourbon. The flavor was more of the same, with a little more of the bourbon thrown in. I definitely liked this one, but I like their breakfast stout just a little better. This one is also pretty pricey... $5 for a single. Is it really worth that? Iím not so sure.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
f351c4v (411) - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 31, 2007
Pours a deep black with a minimal brown head. Giant nose, dominated by roasted coffee. Again, coffee flavors dominate the palate, along with some chocolate, toffee, and caramel flavors. Bourbon aging is done correctly with this beer. With just a hint of bourbon in the mouth, its presence is not overbearing. Itís also felt warming the finish. Not as much bittersweet chocolate as the original, this beer is still world class and I canít rate it any lower than itís brother. Easily drinkable and equally decadent. An awesome brew, thanks Ron!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
bboeckl (142) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 29, 2007
Bottle. Jet Black! Deep dark chocolate. Mocha coffee. The bourbon does not really come out the way I expected. But it does give the flavor an undefinable charm. In fact, without the bourbon, this would be a strong stout with not much going on but the coffee taste. The commercial descriptions claims a "hint" of coffee. I think this questions our intelligence. . If you put this beer on the breakfast table, i wouldnít know the difference. Weíll see if I sleep tonight or if it is caffeinated as well. The chocolate malts certainly hide the alcohol well. Above average beer, but not quite in the 100th percentile for me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAR 29, 2007
Black in color, no head. Bourbon aroma really hits strong at first, but after a while, it doesnít seem to be as strong. The bourbon aroma does stay in the front, however, and any coffee notes seem to stay in the background. Oak, chocolate, coffee, and, needless to say, bourbon tastes abound. The finish is dry and alcoholic. The bourbon aging compliments this brew very well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bwkrieger (14) - Lisle, Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Aroma of coffee and chocolate, thick pour jet oil black, thick head that held till the end, taste of coffee ground and dark chocolate blended perfectly, alcohol hidden, slight taste of bourbon but not overpowering, mouthfeel is awesome perfect for breakfast...love it...bottle of lastest batch. wish i had more...oh i do....thanks jeff at sams in d.j.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
walleye (1072) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAR 28, 2007
UPDATED: APR 26, 2007 re-rate 4/26/07 Got a fresh bottle, wow what a difference between this beer and the aged one I am glad I finally got my hands on this the bourbon isnít as strong and taste better the coffee comes out nice a small amount of smoke this was a far better beer. I guess the bottle I had didnít age well my 1st rating was on 3/28/07 and was a 2.5 I have had this bottle for about a year and decided to give it a try a couple of days ago. All I have got to say is that either I got a bad bottle or they used some cheap bourbon barrels, ( I like jack and I do like bb beers) unless this did not age well or like I said I might have gotten a bad bottle.now the rating. poured black with a tan head that didnít last long. aroma cocoa alcohol, coffee, smoke,did get some vanilla. flavor a nasty bourbon, ash tray, some coffee, the chocolate come out at the very end. I went looking for this beer today to buy a 4 pack at my favorite beer store and they didnít have any I am glad they didnít.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 28, 2007
Pours a syrup black. Smells of sweet chocolate, toffee and bourbon. It is like drinking chocolate syrup, it is that sweet! It has a bittersweet finish with the bourbon kick.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Breakfast!!! In a bottle!!!! Awesome. Nice coffee aroma. Get the boubon in the roof of your mouth. Oats very late in the last of the glass.This beer makes you think.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 27, 2007
Bottle: This pours black as night with a small brown head. The smell on this one is strong; I set my bottle down, walked away, but could smell it filling up the room. As I pull the glass close to my nose to take a wiff of the air, I notice a ton of smell in there: chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and a presence of alcohol, smell, probably the bourbon barrel aging. The taste is much the same, roasty, coffee, vanilla, chocolate. As I continue to drink, the vanilla and bourbon flavors really start to pull through this beer. This one is a bit sticky, but definetly good. This is excellent, I wish I could get more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LinusStick (2938) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2007
Thanks Ron at Vintage Estates for holding this for me. This has the biggest bourbon taste of any bourbon aged beer Iíve ever had. The pour was a beautiful black with a tan thin head that left quickly. The aroma was coffee and bourbon. The taste was chocolate, coffee and vanilla.After the swallow a strong bourbon taste takes over and stays for the aftertaste. This is a very complex and beautiful beer that I wish was more accessible.