RATINGS: 2111   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tennisjoel (1255) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2010
When I was down in Rochester, where Iíll shortly be moving to, I discovered Whistle Binkies bar and grill, which I had heard had a good beer scene. As we entered, I noticed that one of the bartenders had a beer advocate t-shirt on, which was a good sign. We sat down and I noticed the beer list was extensive and quite solid. I noticed some Surly products which is another good sign. I first ordered a SN Bigfoot and noticed that Bells Batch 9000 was on the bottle list. When I asked, they were out of it, so then I asked for Founders Double Trouble. The next thing I know, a female waitress comes over with a bottle of Founders KBS. Now Founders is still relatively new to Minnesota. Iíve been able to try many of Founders high end beers, however, the KBS has alluded me so far (Iíve even had the Canadian Breakfast Stout). Now onto the beer: the pour is deep black, with a minimal head. Aromas of bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla. The bourbon is really well integrated here. And that is the key...make sure the bourbon is not overpowering and itís got my attention. This beer is for the most part worthy of its hype and would rate anywhere from solid to borderline spectacular.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chickencoop (188) - California, USA - APR 18, 2010
First off, not a fan of the double imperial stouts so donít listen to me, but the hype surrounding this opened my eyes. On that note, putting this in perspective with itís peers, this is pretty solid. Big dark pour, bourbon smell carries throughout, finish was big booze, with booze on top. I liked this, not so much drinkable, but one of the best imperial stouts iíve ever had, complex and huge in every sip.

ewestern (257) - Ohio, USA - APR 30, 2010
Bottle(s) from AndyReynolds. Nice coffee and chocolate aroma from this very dark dark brown beer. Nice lacing. Strong coffee with plenty of chocolate underneath. Roasted malts with smokey tints throughout. Nice coffee burn in the finish but mostly smooth overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
thornecb (5019) - Marblehead, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 5, 2010
Pours black into a snifter. Dark chocolate, espresso, bourbon and oak aromas. Full with upfront sweet dark chocolate and vanilla that turns to a thick lasting bourbon and sweet espresso burn.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
potbeerjob (1343) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 6, 2010
Bottled. Black with thin tan head. Aroma is huge earth...just dirt, with touch of chocolate and vanilla, and boulder coffee with some bourbon. Flavor is similar but again bitter earthy like tasting rich soil (yeah maybe i have done that), and booze, and dark dark berry fruit, and big whiskey. Easy smooth lightly bitter finish. Dry and sticky.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
phaleslu (8006) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2010
12 oz. bottle from Ludlow Wines. Pours like motor oil out of the bottle, and could be a look-alike if not for the brown tints on the very edges. No head initially, but a small brown one arises and dissipates quickly. Aroma of coffee (more than a hint, as the label says), vanilla, bourbon, oak, dark chocolate, burnt malts, and syrup. Flavor of vanilla, oak, and bourbon first, then the coffee rolls in with a big, roasty malty flavor, along with notes of molasses, dark fruits (plums, figs, and a hint of berries), and caramel. Full-bodied, with pretty low carbonation and an oily, syrupy, roasty mouthfeel. Lot of coffee in this one. Warming alcohol. Roasty finish and aftertaste. Hell of an impy stout, hell of a beer. Just frustrating that the Commonwealth of Kentucky forced the name to change to KBS instead of the full name, even though theyíre not ashamed of some particularly backwoods laws and goons like Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell on the national stage.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
italianjohn (2599) - Penndel, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 24, 2010
Black pour with a dark tan head .... aroma of vanilla, chocolate and coffee and slight bourbon ..... taste of creamy vanilla, chocolate and coffee at first with a bourbon background ... the flavors all came together and the second glass I had was very balanced with a warming bourbon finish .... iím glad the bourbon did not dominate ..... lived up to all the hype for me

KyotoLefty (8138) - Kyoto, JAPAN - JUL 28, 2010
Draught at the brewery, side-by-side with CBS, as my first 2 drinks of 2010 RBSG. Beautiful black with a lovely tan lace. Big coffee, bourbon, vanilla aroma. Big bourbon and oak flavors with coffee. Super roasted and sweet. Very smooth, with a good sour-fruit tang. Well balanced. Great way to start a wild weekend!

boccefloyd (101) - Bon Air, Virginia, USA - AUG 26, 2010
Poured black w/ a thin brown head. Some retention and surprisingly nice lacing. Iím guessing its also clear. There was a malty assault on my nose. sweet, roasted malts, bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coffee. Wow. The body was thick and smooth and the tasted fell right in line with the aroma with a residual bitterness to top each sip off. I really like this beer but Iím not so sure its worth the money I had to pay to get my hands on it. However, Iíll probably buy some more next year, just not as much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
hirigalzkar (2635) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 4, 2010
Bottle. Pours black. Notes of salmiak, red wine and some vanilla in the aroma. The taste is really complex without being hard to drink. Notes of chocolate, coffee alcohol and salmiak. The body could have been bigger, otherwise a great brew!