Founders Mint Man Stout

(RETIRED)
Founders Mint Man Stout
     click to upload

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 2.65/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.71   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 11, 2010
gross. on nitro. typical nitro stout body. aroma of mint. unfortunately, flavor is of stale, cold mint tea...thin and difficult to enjoy. add chocolate and this would be decent

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
HonkeyBra (3527) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - JAN 8, 2010
Girlfriend was pissed and had to try to pound this one quickly. Dark pour with forthy head. Not sure exactly, it was dark, but I imagined it kind of a milky chocolate pour. Aroma of chocolate and mint. Flavor is like mint chocolate chip icecream that had melted and had a bit of alcohol throw in. Not a lot, though, so it was good. Mouthfeel was creamy too. Yeah, just like some sort of melted mint chocolate chip ice cream beer. But the mint was so strong, and distracting. Finishes with a strong mint note. Guess I don’t need to brush my teeth.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
deyholla (7002) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - DEC 30, 2009
On tap at Founders. Poured black with a dark brown head that lasted. Aroma was full of an artificial peppermint note with supporting noted of oatmeal and chocolate. Flavor began with chocolate and oatmeal notes, but the mint flavor quickly overwhelmed them both. A bit thin for a stout in my opinion. I’m not quite sure I like a mint in a beer and this was not an exception.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Silphium (3179) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - DEC 29, 2009
On nitro tap at Founders. One of a long line of flavor-infused oatmeal stouts that are a regular feature of the tap list. Deep opaque brown-black body, medium creamy tan nitro head. The aromatic, sharp mint in the aroma and body was overwhelming, and made me feel like I was trying to suck the oatmeal stout through a bag of mint tea. Even as the beer warmed, the underlying oatmeal stout characteristics did not become apparent through the biting mint assault. I like mint, but I also like beer, and this drink was too heavy on the former.