overall

RATINGS: 1643   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Pours a spectacular crimson red with a creamy tan head. Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts imparting a sweet richness. Reds Rye is impressively balanced with its hop bitterness and floral bouquet achieved from the dry hop. In the finish, the generous amount of malted rye used accentuates a spicy crisp finish.

Bottled - winter seasonal. On tap - year-round.

Note: Formerly Redís Rye P.A.

DocLock (9705) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Huge thanks to BBB63 for this one. Pours hazy ruby/copper with medium off-white head. Aroma of huge resiny hops, some malt, some grapefruit and honeydew. Tastes very hoppy, very fruity. Tons of fruit taste including grapefruit, honeydew, even strawberries and canteloupe. Very complex aroma and flavor. I thought this was either a red ale or an Impy IPA. Super smooth, highly hoppy and fruity palate. As a hophead, I love this one, and it would be great in any style category. This is my 3rd Founders beer, and the 3rd that has earned perfection. Does God brew for Founderís?

undsioux7 (871) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUN 23, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 4, 2008 Nice ruby red/copper pour with a frothy off white head. Aroma of caramel, floral, sweet spice. Mouthfeel is nicely full with sweets and malts hitting first with some floral hops in the middle and dry finish. Re-Rate: Sweet malts and hops are a perfect balance in aroma and flavor. Sweet malty goodness in the mouthfeel with a great floral hop in the end with the still dry finish!!

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 6, 2007 I donít usually buy multi-packs of craft beer...usually I buy single-serve bottles, or I buy at stores where I can mix-and-match my own six-packs. That said, Iím on my third six pack of Red Rye in the past few months. I had the good fortune to attend GABF this year, and spent a lot of time unsuccessfully searching for rye beers that are its equal (Hebew Rye PA is also very good). Great Lakes Nosferatu is also reminiscent of this beer, but I like Red Rye better. Appearance is a deep-red with attractive white lacing. Aroma is pleasant hop odor with a significant prediction on the citrus flavors to come. Flavor is great - hop heavy, citrusy, the rye delivers big-boy malt flavor, yet Red Rye is well-balanced. I have a hard time finding fault with this beer (it is even a good value for craft beer); I will be drinking this for as long as theyíre making it. I canít think of a beer Iíd recommend more highly.

DeadGuyFrank (347) - http://westchesterbeer.com, USA - NOV 29, 2007
UPDATED: APR 22, 2008 When I had this beer for the first time I gave it a solid 4 ratings, but I remember saying to myself....I think I am going to change that number with my next bottle. Well the next day I bought my second and third bottles and MAN!!! what a beer....Dark orange, definitely rooted in a English bitter....my new favorite beer to have with a sandwich...rich and dry, very tasty, full flavored but very drinkable...a great session beer. Drink it daily and smile, because you are giving yourself a little taste of luxury.

lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - JUL 26, 2008
RateBeer Rating, Style and Glass: 97, specialty grain, pilsener or shaker ABV, Volume & Calories: 6.8% in 12 fl oz. estimated at 170 C Purchased at: circle liquors Super Saver, Pennington, NJ for $2.50 Aroma: siren like, sugary, pine, cascade hops, grapefruit. 10 out of 10. Visuals: clear, deep brilliant, red, off white head, persistent, beautiful, strong lace. 5 out of 5. Taste: rye bread, pumpernickel, caraway seed, strong, bitter, hops, powerful, expertly crafted. 10 out of 10. Palate: crisp, exciting, dry, sandy, long bitter finish. 5 out of 5. Overall: Simply amazing - the mix of rye and hops is one of my favorites. Iíd have it again in a split second. An instant favorite. Beautifully crafted. 20 out of 20.

seathehorizon (4) - Michigan, USA - AUG 31, 2011 does not count
BAM!!! This little red number is fantastic! Ok, ok, it IS MY FAVORITE BEER OF ALL TIME but i will explain exactly why. First of all this beer is not sweet, which some reds can tend to be, and it is very very dry. The 6 odd% alcohol content is fairly strong and after even 2 of these in bottles you should be feeling pretty darn good. I have searched high and low in my years in the service for a good red beer and nothing even comes close to home on this one (grand rapids). Out of bottle it pours a rich red hue and leaves a thick delicious head. Earthy and dry is all i can attest to for this particular brew and my hats off to Founders for making this amazing brew. CHEERS!!! P.S. Go to the brewery and get a pint if you can. Bottles are good but straight from the source is soooooooooooo much better

Jamesthebrit (415) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 5, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2016 Editing with a fresh bottle from 2013 now that it is a limited release. A: Floral, caramel, butterscotch maybe? a woody note... like an oak or so. Hint of malt. Perfectly balanced.A: Carbonation looks good. Head retention is on the money. Color is a nice brownish red.T: As the smell. This bottle seems to have a bit more of a wood note than those I?ve had in the past.... Otherwise extremely balanced with a great floral note, sweet note, caramel. On second edit this fresh bottle has a lot more hops which take over a little bit.P: Flavor development is great with the best flavor notes coming through. Finish is clean and lingering taste is as complex as the rest of the beer.I grabbed this beer because it?s switching to seasonal and it?s one of the best I?ve ever had. Crazy complex, easy to drink yet full bodied. Bitter, but with other great tastes. Drink this at the brewery: you have a flawless beer. I upped this to a perfect score when I debated between this and Canadian breakfast stout (both on tap) I went for the cbs but I would have rather drank this.

FalseLion (25) - - FEB 9, 2013
Very good rye pa. Great earthy aroma and an amazing hoppy taste. Best rye pa I have had to date

jaybes (17) - Hastings, Michigan, USA - JAN 25, 2014
#1 Desert Island Beer. I cried when Founderís made it seasonal... Stunning blend of floral hops and bitterness. Complex yet clean and crisp. Carmel sweetness, with layered levels of spice. This is the perfect beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
ford9719 (371) - Vilseck, GERMANY - NOV 11, 2007
Bottle. Poured a ruby brownish color. Aroma is hoppy with carmal and halenut. Taste is very hoppy with a carmal finish with a little of hazelnut.