Serve in Weizen

Bottle: Unfiltered
Franziskaner Weissbier Naturtrub Premium Hefe-Weissbier
From Munich Since 1363
Ingredients: Water, Wheat Malt, Barley Malt, Yeast, Hop Extract
The original fresh wheat beer taste. Franziskaner Hefe-Weißbier Naturtrüb is a natural and elegant Weissbier from Bavaria with a lush white foam. The copper golden wheat beer unfolds with an aromatic fragrance and harmonious banana and citrus fruits.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
mrnutsnbolts (204) - Berkeley, - JAN 26, 2006
Tap @ Barclay’s. Opaque, hazy golden hay color with a white head. Smells citrusy and yeasty. Fruity flavors (estery), tangy, citrusy, and yeasty. Somewhat chewy, but not as thick as others that I’ve tried.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
CMUBEERMAN (426) - - JAN 26, 2006
Pretty much taste like a good...really good blue moon. That being said...that doesn’t say much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
pinkzambia (1720) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Bottle: Well, I am not as enthusiastic about this brew as TheBeerLover, but I do admit it is better than American Hefe’s. This has a cloudy gold color with jumpin jack flash style carbonation seen in the bubbles that continuously rise to the surface. Of course, this keeps a nice, white fizzy head on the surface at all times. Initially, the aromaa reminded of a pilsener, but after it warmed up a bit, I noticed corn, ripe bananas, and butterscotch. It is a milder than the pungent American hefe’s that tastes like fermented corn silage on the farm to me. This beer has a real creamy feel with a well balanced aftertaste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheBeerLover (1026) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 25, 2006
Of all the German and domestic hefeweizens on the market today, Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Bier is one of my all time favorites. This beer is very accessible, and is one of the best examples of this classic German style. Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Bier pours to a bright, opaque golden color with a huge, dense, rocky, white head, and a very lively carbonation. Remember, you want to swirl the yeast sediment into the beer, so it is going to be cloudy. The nose on this beer is fantastic. Fruity, estery aromas of clove, banana, and bubble gum flood the nose. The palate is tart and refreshing. Flavors of wheat malt, pear, and more slight banana flavors coat the tongue. The body is round and smooth, and so drinkable. Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Bier finishes with a nice balance of malt flavor, a touch more clove and banana, and just enough hop presence to balance. This really is a wonderful beer, and the perfect summer refresher. Hefeweizen in Germany is often consumed in mid-morning with weisswurst sausages, making it, believe it or not, a breakfast beer! I would not at all be against the idea, in fact, I have enjoyed a hefeweizen with breakfast on more than one occasion. I enjoy making a drink called a "hefemosia" which consists of equal parts hefeweizen and orange juice, that is very refreshing and delicious. That being said, I really believe this beer is more suited for lunch or dinner. It works really well with German fare, such as bratwurst and saurkraut, and would work well with roasted pork or chicken as well. I however, enjoy this beer most after a long hot day, as a thrist quencher.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
IrishBoy (3967) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JAN 22, 2006
Cloudy pale amber beer with lots of carbonation and sediment in the bottle. Thick white head which lighty laced the glass as it slowly went down. Aroma of bananna and yeast. The banana taste comes through very lightly.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - JAN 21, 2006
I don’t have all the adjectives to explain it, but its really great. I think the banana flavor comes through, but there’s just something about this brew that makes it consistently excellent everytime I try it. When I am confused about what I should buy, I always seem to be able to fall back on this. Its not always cheap though. Its often around 7.99 USD per six pack, which isn’t horrible, but not exactly a bargain price either. Once I had to have an opportunity to get it on draft, and it was incredible. It was a wedding reception with a free bar, so I kept coming back for more and more and more till I was hammered, and it kept tasting great, but the point is, this is what I kept coming back for, and didn’t want anything else once I had figured out that this was the ultimate, that is, when it was draft.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
JohnnyOS (646) - Golden, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 21, 2006
Pours a golden amber color with thick white head that lasts. Aroma of hops and citrus with a taste that follows nicely. There’s just something I like about this.... it’s very refreshing and tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
ALLOVATE (2681) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - JAN 18, 2006
I’d say refreshing was about the only fitting deScription I could think of after tasting this World famous Hefeweiss. I didn’t have a bad sample as it was clean as a whistle so I am assuming my taste-buds were asleep for the afternoon. Poured a very lively, hazy pastel orange with an enormous rocky white head that rose a good inch from the glass. Head would not budge for the length (making tasting difficult, so off it went) and it left globs of foam daubed all over the sides. It certainly looked good! Nice deep toasted malt and gritty wheat grain nose with underpinned notes of banana, strawberry, bubblegum and what seemed like burnt wood. So far so good. Quite tangy in the mouth in the first sip. Spritzy in carbonation and medium-light, light bodied. Pleasant yet overly subtle mix of soft fruits like cantaloupe, and honeydew before tangy citric fruits take-over in the back. Light grainy note balances out the subtle flavours with an ever growing note of cloves that became over-powering by the end as it lingered solo in the mouth. It’s otherwise undemanding as it had the mouthfeel of a watered down lager. Good to look at and pleasant to the nose, but a little bland in the mouth to save itself. One for the re-rate bin! (50cL, BBE 04/06, Int’l Beer Shop, W. Leederville)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
trokini (1025) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 17, 2006
Simply the best hefeweizen I’ve ever had. Pours cloudy gold, with lots of carbonation and a billowy white head. The taste is wheaty, and very sweet, almost like a trippel. Crisp finish. I really like this beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
McNick (13) - Canberra, AUSTRALIA - JAN 16, 2006
Bottle. Pours a dark yellow bordering on orange... not very white at all! Head is thick but short lived and leaves minimal lacing. Beer is cloudy though no individual clumps of yeast are found. Aromas of yeast and hops and a hint of citrus. I noticed the head smells vaguely of stables and manure... which distracts a little from the more agreeable aromas. Flavours of yeast, hops, clay and wheat. Mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is delicate though persistent. Not bad, but not particularly exciting either.