Free State Holiday Ale 2002

(RETIRED)
Free State Holiday Ale 2002
     click to upload

Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.83/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 243   ABV: 8.1%
Our annual Holiday offering is different every year. This year's is a big red ale with a pronounced hop flavor. The base malt, Golden Promise, is enhanced with dark crystal malt, Munich malt and roasted barley for full body and rich malt flavors. We've used a blend of Centennial, Amarillo and Chinook hops for a well balanced hop flavor and aroma.
O.G. - 17.85 °P/1071. Hops - 70 IBUs

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Nuffield (3637) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2002
Deep amber, looked like cinnamon, but holiday spice flavors are muted--perhaps I shouldn’t have been looking for them. Well rounded and smooth, showing its alcohol a bit more than other high-abv beers from Free State.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - DEC 15, 2002
Really delicious stuff. Along the lines of Boulevard’s Nutcracker Ale, but a lot more of everything. Less of a spiced beer than a strong ale. This is the hoppiest beer Free State offers. It is also very creamy, with a nice dry finish. This is a nice varied hoppy beer with plenty of malt to counterbalance the bitterness. RERATE, 12/15/02. I admit to rating this last night off of a few healthy sips. I liked it a lot, though, so we got a growler today. Even better than I remembered--a fiery orange red color with a smooth buttery texture. Very spicy. This is a unique beer; I’ve never had anything quite like it. You just have to try it to understand.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Indra (2570) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 15, 2002
A blend of lightly citrusy fruit, pine, nut and light caramel in the aroma. Bright red color, clear with a short-lasting white head. A slight amount of candyish, berry-like fruity malt sweetness, followed by deep, earthy, hop flavors and on into the spicy, dry finish. Aftertaste holds some malt sweetness and piney hop. Medium body and rather light on the palate, not too carbonated. Tasty and flavorful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - DEC 14, 2002
I actually liked this one better than the Boulevard Nutcracker...it seemed to have more flavor to me or perhaps it just stood out more, as this was the first beer of the night. Fairly complex and I’ll get this again before its gone.