Free State Prairie Fire Pepper Beer

Free State Prairie Fire Pepper Beer
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 2.53/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.61/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
We take some of our Wheat State Golden and age it with Ancho and Chipotle peppers for a smoky pepper flavor and aroma. We also throw in just a pinch of red chile pepper for some heat. The peppers also throw a bit of an amber color into our otherwise golden ale. Try it alone or especially with food. O.G. -11.75/1047. Hops - 20 IBUs

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Indra (2711) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - MAY 8, 2006
5oz. sample. New recipe for this batch, whereas the previous version used the Golden as the base beer, this one is made with Ad Astra and the server mentioned it was 5.9% abv. and contained different pepper varieties, including Anaheim and Habanero.
Surprisingly mild malty, lightly smoky and peppery, vegetative aroma, just some very faint caramel sweetness and fruity hop. Deep copper red color, clear, and not much head or lace to speak of. Light amount of bitterness and grainy, toasty malt in tandem to start, but starting about midpoint a profoundly peppery spiciness sets in, and while I’m not the biggest consumer of spicy things in general, I found it to be plenty hot, peppery and spicy overall, particularly at the finish, which is also dry and features a small amount of lingering maltiness as well. Carbonation is relatively slight, body is light-medium. The first pepper beer I have sampled to date. I think it may be the only one from here on out, too, however...a spicy, peppery, hot beverage is just odd and 5oz. of this was plenty for me, almost too much in fact. Still, oddly curious and interesting on certain levels, and really not bad, I’m just sure I wouldn’t drink it or any other pepper beers again.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
KUEric (904) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 8, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 15, 2006 On Tap (5oz. sampler): I liked this beer. It was the first chili I’ve had, so I can’t directly compare it to anything, but I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t want to drink multliple pints of this, but it was a fantastic trial beer. I loved the way you get the spicy taste but your mouth doesnt catch fire like with food. I really enjoyed the flavors of the chili and thought it an interesting combination. The flavors I felt mixed great with beer, as a nice little afterkick ... but it didnt linger too long like some articial (even if natural) flavors do. There isn’t the most beer, hops, malts flavors, but it was more beer flavor than many of those artificial fruit beers.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
csbosox (1229) - Prairie Village, Kansas, USA - MAY 8, 2005
5oz sample. Light amber color. Aroma is like an Ancho pepper and also a bit grassy. I didn’t realy get the smoky aroma that the chipotle should have given the beer. Some sweet malt at first and then a rush of pepper flavor and spicy heat. The beer finished spicy. I hardly drank more than an ounce or two. This is the most unusual beer I have ever had at Free State, maybe this would have worked out better with a more substantial beer, something with a lot more malt.