Free State Tazza Nera Stout

Formerly brewed at Free State Brewing Company
Style: Stout
Lawrence, Kansas USA

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.22/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
This special coffee stout is the result of our collaboration with our neighbors at La Prima Tazza. Tazza Nera means 'black cup' and this is indeed that! We blended strong, cold processed coffee with a delightful roasty stout for a flavor and aroma that gives credit to both grain and bean.
O.G. 13.1/1052, hops - 27 ibu

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nuffield (3668) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - DEC 19, 2002
I didnít know the etymology of Tazza Nera when I took my notes...but I noted that the coffee flavors are clearly here. Buttery flavors, too. Caramel head, more of a pitch black body than the Oatmeal Stout, with only bits of brown around the edges. Dusty aroma. My wife preferred this to the Oatmeal, but I donít agree. Still tasty, partly because I like coffee stouts.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
grant (842) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - NOV 22, 2002
Not really to my taste, but respectable nonetheless. Like a shot of expresso (see if you can find the joke). The coffee flavors just flat out overbear the beer flavors, which is ok if thatís what youíre into. I like coffee, but... I think Iíd have this again but only once in great while.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - NOV 22, 2002
I liked the brew at first but why would you blend coffee with beer? Iím not going to rehash the previous rating, just keep the whole depressant/caffeine paradox in mind.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Indra (2607) - Overland Park, Kansas, USA - SEP 1, 2002
Somewhat light aroma, what is there is lightly roasty coffee and malt. Dark brown-black appearance, with a light but persistent head. Flavor is very coffeeish, with some lightly fruity hops (citrus? this doesnít sound like it would work, but itís really an okay blend) and highly roasted malt. Dry, grainy finish. Body is on the light side of medium, mouthfeel is a bit thin as this beer has a more watery consistency than most stouts. Tasty but overall a bit light. Interesting piney-coffee aftertaste.