Full Sail Hopocity

overall

RATINGS: 73   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.5   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
GermanBrews76 (679) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - DEC 7, 2004
crystal clear golden body. Big carbonation, thin glossy white head. Pale malts, some floral tone, big citrus nose. Dry malt character underlies a bitter, resinous, grassy fresh hop profile. dark roastiness comes through the citrucy bitter hops

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
motelpogo (6876) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - NOV 20, 2004
on tap at the pilsner room in portland. it can be a bit hard to find things to say about standard apa’s like this one. anyways, pine and lychee aroma, dark golden appearance, pretty sweet, grapefruit lemonade, plenty of bitterness, perfectly good

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - NOV 18, 2004
Deep gold almost amber in color, slightly cloudy with a fluffy, white head. Aroma of spicy, grapefruity, floral hops that is overall delicate and almost ethereal. Flavor contains grapefruit pith, orange creamsickle, and a subtle sweetness. I also get the impression that an amateur homebrewer created this beer. I have been pretty hard on this brewery in my ratings. I attest this to even though there is good flavor to their beer they are presented in a such a straightforward and feminine ( I mean the same way as cooking) fashion that I yearn for MORE but when I take that next sip they do not deliver any hidden complexity or subjective epiphanies. With many other breweries’ beer that have similar high ratings as Full Sails, I find myself drinking my first encounter with one of their offerings quickly because there is an elusive component I find myself desperate to identify OR it is satisfying some visceral or lupulin desire...they do not provide this. Looking at the scores from the other raters makes me wonder what I am missing out on, unfortunately I do not agree with most of them. This is average at best.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BBB63 (6122) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - NOV 12, 2004
Bottle 2004: The last of three Full Sail beers I opened and rated. I saved the other two and carried back for Joe’s after thanksgiving party (I’m still miffed I couldn’t find Old Boardhead, oh well). The appearance is a bronze hue with a good tight head and above average lace. The aroma has notes of pale and caramel malts, citric and grassy hops, and earthy yeast esters. I love the taste of this APA for it has a wonderful balance of bitters, fruits, and bready sweet malts. Very good depth yet never overpowering. I liked the touch of leafy lime notes towards the end and some sublime spice character. The feel was a bit of a let down I must admit, a bit watery for all that flavor. Still I have had much worse. This is a big APA but keeps it’s hands to itself and doesn’t overstep the bounds of the genre. I like the name too! Give it a try.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - OCT 4, 2004
Tangerine. A strong hop presense in the nose is present with notes of peach, tangerine, pine, earth and herbs. Light in character and complexity. The hops are earthy, grassy and herbal. Soft light fruitiness (peach, lemons and tangerine.) The finish has some light graininess (mixed nuts) and a light lingering bitterness. In itself, it is a solid offering but this beer is the same price point of beers twices its potency (Old Boardhead and Imperial Porter) and though a solid beer, I expect more from a Brewmaster’s Reserve release.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
PorterPounder (5659) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - SEP 8, 2004
Had on tap at Humpy’s Alehouse in downtown Anchorage. Dark, murky orange appearance with a creamy, silky white head. Stron aroma that is at first offensive - but mellows to that of fresh fruit with some floral accents as well. Very hoppy for an APA - tastes more like an Imperial IPA. Very citrusy bt with a heavy malty, nutty sweet balance to even it out. Excellent mouthfeel. Another good effort from Full Sail.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 5, 2004
Clear, bronze color, full and fresh, lush, dotted head. Aroma: full-on hops, with a piney bite, plenty of citrus, grapefruit, mm, hmm, but a bit of lemon, too, a twist of lime, very bitter and twisted, all around, this feels the very essence of twisting and peeling and gettin’ up in the heart of hoppiness, like sniffing the very floor of a primeval forest! Taste: succulent, to start with! , there’s the glorious hop presence, of course, but still a toasty, tasty malt back-up --spicy, bready, light-to -medium bodied, and brisk on the palate. Feels light, but the hoppy, hopy character prevails throughout, assisted by caramel tones. Feels like an Anti-Dreadnaught, as it doesn’t sting too hard, yet still delivers a good deal of hoppitude, with a mellowness that is it’s own reward. Great hop texture & flavor, but lacks just a bit from malt. Liked it, though, like it lots.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
leitrim65 (402) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 4, 2004
An APA? I could’ve sworn I was drinking an IPA. Anyway, this IPA, or APA, pours a cloudy orange color with a medium white head. The aroma is the most attractive thing about this beer. A nice blend of caramel sweetness and citrussy hops in the nose. At first a smooth sweet maltiness hits but it’s quickly consumed by the overbearing harsh hops. I’m not one to complain about hops too often, but in this case I’ll make an exception. The finish is a strong hop bitterness that leaves a lingering reminder long after (about 10 minutes, kind of impressive) the last sip.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
DrunkAsASkunk (847) - Lynnwood, Washington, USA - AUG 10, 2004
Thanks kindly to TannerTavernoys for the brew. This beer pours a murky orange color with a white foamy head and a teeny tiny bit of lacing. The aroma was tons of caramel sweetness, oranges, cherries, hoppy pineyness and grapefruity citrusness. There was definitely a lot in the nose here. It almost had something of a new car smell to it. The taste is piney and sweet with a nice degree of malt usage and lemon but there was also a good grapefruit and citrus bitterness in the finish. Definitely a great beer, ends dry and prickly. Good beer!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - AUG 3, 2004
I would’ve guessed that this was an IPA - killer hops, but a thinner body. Aroma - great - citrus, sweet, very hoppy, fresh. Malts were sweet and tasty, but thin - well, maybe typical of an APA - I kept thinking of this as an IPA. Hops are piney, citrus - this was one of the more grapefruity beers that I’ve had. Finish is long and bitter - Really good