Full Sail Manhattan Project
     click to upload
overall

RATINGS: 16   MEAN: 2.9/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.86   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
The base beer is our Vesuvius. It was aged in Bourbon barrels for six months and then transferred to Pinot Noir barrels for another six months before kegging.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
skoisirius (1466) - Earth, Washington, USA - OCT 2, 2009
Really wish I could remember where and when I had this, but I remember it being such a disappointment that I know Iíve had a few sips. Way too much bourbon with not enough body to back it up. Hints of cherry mucked up by weird sours flavors. A great idea gone weirdly wrong...not to say Iím giving an A for effort to FS for trying something a bit more out of the normal realm!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 20, 2007
Hot boozy nose overwhelming with bourbon and cherries. Would not recommend lighting a match near this beer for fear of the fumes igniting. Slight ethanol-paint thinner-nail polish remover nose. Funky as all hell. The pinot and wood flavors come to life later with each sip. Quite memorable and for this I give it merit, but I would not frequent this beer, even if I could.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - JUL 19, 2007
Complex beer, but does suffer a bit from the phenolic nailpolish bite. The aroma is overwhelmed by sharp nail polish smells, but the flavor remains a jungle of flavors. Tart cherry, dry wood, pinot flavors, moldy cheese, and other interesting flavors that make you think. I really enjoyed the sourness and the depth of flavors, it would be very hard to nail them all down. My only problem was the aroma, the flavor was excellent.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
SamuraiArtist (292) - portland, Oregon, USA - JUN 16, 2007
Bottle from J. Harris: Golden color with some bubbles but no head. Aroma is sweet, fruity, woody and wine like. A light body that is swet and fruity at first, then slightly tart and acidic, a little alcohol warmth, you also get a slight bourbon flavor and definitely some pinot noir flavor. A dry wine and wood finish. Very very unique, i gather this is a love it or hate it beer. It is amazingly complex and one of those beers where you can easily pick out 6 different flavors that are all unique. I wouldnt drink a pint of this but very much enjoyed the glass.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
NICU (12) - Oregon, USA - JUN 15, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 11, 2007 Everyone who tried this at GABF should try and get a hold of another sample. I shared this bottle with John Harris, and while it didnít affect my perception of the beer I think it gave me a better understanding of what he was shooting for.

Once you get past the opening notes of acetone thereís a wonderful funky/sour/tart beer lurking underneath.

No head to speak of. Flavors of bourbon and acetone give way to a heady mixture of brett/lacto funk and a vinous finish.

Not something I could drink every day, but Iím sure glad I had the chance to taste this abberation :)
Thanks again John!

0.6
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 15, 2006
Rating this one from memory...tasted at GABF. Worst beer that I have ever tried. So bad I had to try it twice to make sure it really was that awful. Whatís not to like? How about the taste of gasoline mixed with a bit of paint thinner? No no no no no no no. Iíd rather drink non-alcoholic beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TheBeerGod (5045) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - NOV 11, 2006
Draft at Falling Rock. Amber bodied. Nose is very "unique". Itís quite liqueur like. Maybe melon liqueur. Very alcoholic nose and over ripened fruits. Taste is sour fruits, oak barrel, alcohol and paint thinner/nail polish. Some malt in there as well. Body is medium with a sour astringency and lots of dry notes. Finishes with more paint thinner, sour fruits and alcohol. I appreciate the attempt, but in the end, I couldnít finish the glass.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - OCT 25, 2006
Draft @ Falling Rock: Dark golden color. It is love it or hate I see. I thought it was pretty tasty. Nice and sour. Vinous notes that was a little odd mixed with bourbon but I didnít think that was a problem. Grapes, cherries, vanilla and sour. Whats not to like.

1.3
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
waolsen (1338) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - OCT 14, 2006
sampled at GABF 2006. This beer is by far the worst beer Iíve ever tried. I spit it out almost instantly. Besides being extremely combustable it will also peal the paint off your walls. I love Full Sail but this was AWEFUL.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - OCT 13, 2006
Tap @ Falling Rock and again @ GABF. Had to try it again to insure the first one wasnít just horribly infected. This was by far the worst beer of the 100+ I sampled during the GABF week. I love barrel aged beers, but this was pure finger nail polish remover. Enough said.