overall

RATINGS: 717   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.78   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 91   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
A deliciously rich barleywine that has spectacular depth and delicacy of flavor that is deep and robust. Its strong, sweet body is balanced with Centennial and Crystal hops for a pleasant hoppiness and finish. Makes a great cellar beer. Available in 22oz. bottles and draught year round. ABV 9% IBU 91

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
cantchangeit (39) - Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2010
This beer was really good I enjoyed drinking it and would buy it again because it was so pleasant.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
RickS95 (36) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Poured a nice tan head. Dark caramel/coffee in color; dark but appeared cloudy or unfiltered, just like I like it. Smell of hops and spices. Kind of neutral mouthfeel which surprised me given the 91 IBUs. Good lacing. Finish is definitely bitter, but not as much as you’d expect from such high IBU level. The bitterness was chased away in the finish by the warming 9% alcohol, which stayed with you well beyond the aftertaste. This beer was a handful. With a 22-ounce bottle, I didn’t really need to drink anything after this.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bogdi1 (32) - Helsinki, FINLAND - MAR 20, 2006
2004 bomber from Clark the man, thanks!!! Beautiful clear (hey, why others have had cloudy pour and I had 100% clear!?) coppery amber pour with a modest & quickly diminishnig head. Aroma has hints of PNW hops but (again) not as much I was hoping for. Other components of the aroma are some bubblegum, peppery spices, number of fruits, alcohol andÖ some kind of thinner. Carbonation is harsh and the body surprisingly thin. Flavor has many things going on with burning alcohol in the front but to be honest Iím not too impressed. Actually thereís something unpleasant in the flavor all the way that bothers me. I donít know if this is oxidized or something. Should try and find another bottle. I canít imagine what aging wouldíve done to this particular bottle. Harm I guess.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hoppygirlcda (29) - Coeur d Alene, Idaho, USA - JAN 23, 2012
This is the 2011 and probably would taste a lot different if aged. When tasting it the strong hop smell and flavor made me think it was an IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Davidw987 (23) - Livermore, California, USA - FEB 10, 2002
I drank the batch brewed 6/40/97 and bottled 10/12/98. Fifteen months in the fermenter paid off. The malt flavors were full of complexity; lots of fruits on the high end and woody nutty tastes lower down. The hops were just right, balancing and smooth, not a harsh biting bitterness. I think I detected a hint of maple syrup, although I donít know if this was a fermentation by product or an adjunct used to boost the gravity. No off flavors or problems with the beer. Bottle conditioning clouded the appearance, but no doubt helped preserver the brew. I liked this beer much better than the last barley wine I rated (old crustacean).

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
dret (22) - santa cruz, California, USA - APR 28, 2006
spice bitter. Nice aromatic after taste. Pale sweet. Nice alcohol. Crisp chilled. Light syrup H20. Malt sticky sweet. Hoppy!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
verstellung77 (19) - Westminster, Colorado, USA - JAN 1, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 23, 2008 2004 Vintage - Snifter Aroma was warm and malty. Palate thick and malty. Nice Hop balance. One of the best malt:Hops ratios I have experienced.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
corkitad (19) - Oregon, USA - OCT 26, 2010
Smooth almost from beginning to end. As it warms up it becomes a little more rich in itís fruit notes. Hops are well balanced and keep each taste refreshing. Great barleywine for the price.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
pelicanfleck (15) - Oregon, USA - SEP 13, 2007
First and foremost I must confess that this was the first barley wine that I had ever tasted. I am a malt head by birth and dispise hoppy brew...I should have never picked this up due to the IBUís being 91. I took one drink and poured the rest down the drain. That is not to say it was a bad brew...just one that I couldnít stomach. I will never drink another barleywine as long as I am alive.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JakeBrake (14) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - APR 6, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 30, 2005 ADDENDUM: Re-rate of 2004 bottling. It hasnít improved much with age. Still thin and sour for the style, without the promised big malty body. Meh. Also, the ABV is listed in the ratings summary as 10.6%, but the 2004 is listed as 9% on the label. I was a bit disappointed in this one. Predominantly sour, with a too-pronounced hop presence for this style. Flavor improved as I drank more of it, which is a typical experience with barleywines and strong ales as their complexities often take some time to become apparent, but not enough to overcome its deficiencies. The maltiness was decent, but it didnít carry as much body as advertised.