overall

RATINGS: 300   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.47   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As the name implies, every aspect of this American style IPA is amplified - from the upfront hop aroma and bitterness to the big malt body. This year we pumped up the American citrus-fruity hop character with Warrior, Summit, and Brewer’s Gold hops. Pale, crystal and Munich malts add the punch of malt and mouth feel to balance the hops. The golden-orange hue glows like the late winter Available in 22oz. bottles and draught. ABV 7.8% IBU 80

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - APR 30, 2004
I really liked this beer. Its not going to blow you away like Dreadnaught, but like all FS beers, its very well made and subtlely complex. Hides the alchohol well, but after a 22 oz bomber, you can tell its over 7%. Lovely hop profile both in the aroma and flavor and malt balances very well.

jigglyjock (163) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 27, 2005
Aroma of piney peaches. Big head which is slighty off white and a nice whipped cream look. A red amber slash orange tint is the color of the body. The first flavors I get hit with is hops with a healthy bite. Then comes the sweet malt with a hints of orange rind in the backround. Palate is not as heavy as I really like in a good imperial IPA but is not too thin. Overall an ok double IPA, but could be a little more balance in the hop to malt ratio and a little more depth to the body palate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
alaskanwarren (286) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 28, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 26, 2008 2003 vintage shared with my good friend Segfault. Apricot aroma, some hop character. Feels extremely malty and sweet in the smells. Orange color, cream head. Rather cloudy. I kept thinking there was condensation on my glass. Nope, just cloudy. Taste is quite bitter, not at all like the smell, much more astringent than I expected. As it warms up, more alcohol in the taste. All in all, unimpressive, but given what I know about full sail, I attribute it mostly to the old age. [RE-RATE, w/ 2008 Brewmaster Reserve] I just tried a fresh bottle and was quite impressed. It was crisp, clear and well balanced. A fine spicy and citrusy hop character with a fantastic malt balance. Definitely upping my rating.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - APR 3, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 22, 2008 Bottle. Hazy orange in color with a nice white head. Hoppy and malty aroma. Citrusy and piney hops. Malty and hoppy flavor. Caramel and nutty notes. Very nice hop bitterness. Finish is hoppy. Very nice. Enjoyable. Well balanced. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
DYCSoccer17 (3357) - Woodland, California, USA - JAN 16, 2007
22 ounce bottle purchased at Nugget on Mace in Davis, CA. 2007 bottle. Aroma is quite distinct with plenty of hops present. Grapefruit, piney, and hempy aromas are all noticeable. There is also an underlying sweet, sugary aroma which lightly hides some ethanol. This would get a higher aroma score if the ethanol didn’t poke through. Body is a lightly hazy orangey-copper color with a moderately frothy, long-lasting off-yellowish head. Adequate lacing. I would like the body on this to be just a tad bit darker. Some light grapefruit and hempy hop flavors are present early on, but there isnt the sharp bitterness that you would expect. Nice malt balance is present in the middle with lots of toasted cereal and grainy flavors. Finishes more bitter with some resiny grapefruit notes. Alcohol is not evident. I enjoyed this a lot and I think it is a very well-balanced beer. It is not a hop bomb per se, but it is a very drinkable IIPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Angeloregon (2055) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 18, 2007
Yummy! From a bottle poured a nice amber-copper color with a small greyish head. Sticky, floral and hoppy as heck. Still, it is quite nicely balanced with its use of hops. This is the kind of beer I opt for when the opportunity presents itself. I anticipate next year’s batch very much!

Scoutman (14) - USA - JAN 30, 2008
2008 version. I bought a few bottles and will cellar all but this one. Ton’s of grapefruit and citrus. Spicy finish. Could have used a little more malt backbone IMO, but it will mellow nicely with age. A great buy on a great beer at under 3 buck a bottle

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
highibus (737) - Vail, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Pours a cloudy almost amber color with a thin white head. Aroma is incredible, grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. One of the best I have smelled. Flavor dominates hops with nice malt balance and a nice dryness. A really nice 2ipa. Medium palate with again, a nice dry finish. Really nice. I had never heard of this beer. Glad I found it. Woohoo, right up my alley. I could smell this on forever.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
presario (4709) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - OCT 6, 2009
Rich full head on dark amber. Woody hop nose. Woody spicy hop flavour. Interesting zingy hop notes.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
regspeir (199) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Poured a hazy golden-orange with a large head which dissapated into a lining of white foam. Lacing was nice and lasting. Nose was citrus - especially orange, as well as biscuity honey malt background. Taste was a very nice blend of hop bitterness and caramel sweetness with some piney, grassy and alcohol notes. Finish was crisp and clean and slightly (but pleasantly) bitter. Mouthfeel was medium with good carbonation. This was a very refreshing brew for a warm day and one I wish I had more access to.