overall
Style: Premium Bitter/ESB
London, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 2385   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Bottle & keg (USA); Pasteurised.
First brewed in 1971. Ingredients: Pale Ale malt, Crystal malt and Maize; Target, Challenger, Northdown and Goldings hops.
Brewed at 5.5% ABV in cask and 5.9% ABV in bottle, ESB is a true liquid legend, and should be savoured as such.
ESB has a wonderful rich mahogany appearance. Taking in the nose, the beer is bursting with cherry and orange, balanced by soft malty toffee and caramel notes. The flavour delivers everything you would expect from such a full-bodied ale. The unique blend of Northdown, Target, Challenger and Goldings hops imparts grassy, peppery notes on the tongue along with intense citrus fruit characters of grapefruits, oranges and lemons. The blend of Pale Ale and Crystal malts in the brew give a biscuity, toffee element to the beer. A smooth, mellow bitterness lingers on the palate to give a superbly satisfying finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - MAY 17, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 16, 2003 Re-Rate: I cannot believe that I originally rated this at a paltry 2.3. It just shows how much my beer palate has changed over the past year. I now consider this one of my favorite beers. 5/17/02: Too bitter for my tastes. I wanted to try this because it was available on tap but regretted choosing it after a couple of sips. I guess that I just don't like this style of beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
twocycle99 (61) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - MAY 15, 2002
excellent

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
GABeerMan (48) - HOSCHTON, Georgia, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Excellent color, good balance in taste, slight caramel aroma. Good beer!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
brewbandit (312) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Nice amber color with faint aroma of hops and malt. Bitterness was heavier than anticipated with malt sweetness being a little light. But still a very decent session beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Cask condtioned at NERAX 5/2/02, oh my,great malt aroma,upfront bitterness but finshes sweet and lingers on your tongue.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MikeF (538) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - MAY 7, 2002
Malty aroma. Nice rather large tan head. Not quite as bitter as I expected - more malty. A pleasure to drink. Smooth and no quality is too overbearing.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
TChrome (1418) - Bedford, Texas, USA - MAY 4, 2002
Rather an interesting beer. Aroma kind of smell bitter? Tastes pretty good, although the hops finish is different than what I am used to. Could it be a different variety of hops? Fairly nice.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
heykevin (1276) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - APR 30, 2002
I had put off rating this beer until I could sample a good one on draft. Regular keg (I canít wait to have this on handpump) served cold. First couple sips leave me a little disappointed. Thin maltiness and flat hop character. But patience, Kevin, patience. Let it warm up, let it come to life. Each sip got better and better. Layers of malt unfold and develop. The hop flavor truly accordions increasing in two directions. (Donít ask me Iím just reacting) Incredibly satisfying and and the same time whets the appetite and is moreish. A damn fine bitter that I can only hope to have the opportunity to sample on handpump.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 23, 2002
A strong quite complex malty caramely bitter. Probably my favorite bitter so far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - APR 22, 2002
Probably may favorite tap, though it looses a little of what makes it special in a bottle.