overall

RATINGS: 23   MEAN: 3.06/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
We break craft beer convention by unabashedly brewing beer with corn. El Toro is a lager-like classic American cream ale brewed with malted barley, hops, yeast, water…and Carolina roasted corn grits. Sometimes you just want a “beer beer.”

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 21, 2010
On tap at the brewery. This is pretty much beer at its simplest, and this is the strength of this beer. Clear yellow pour... not much to look at really. Thinnish white head. Nose show sweet corn, super mild grassy hops, some grain. Tastes similar. Usually anytime I use "corn" in a description of a beer, it’s a bad sign. In this case, it works out just fine. This is no stunner, but it’s great in its simplicity, especially on a hot summer day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
emacgee (4025) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - AUG 10, 2010
Pours a translucent clean yellow with a one finger frothy white head. Nose is vegetal and grassy, corn, some hay, mildly sweet, strange aroma. Flavor shows corn and hay, vegetal, not digging it. Palate is soft with a low carbonation.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
TURDFERGUSON (3954) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - AUG 2, 2010
The last beer I tried of the just released fullsteam lineup. Never been a big fan, or maybe I just don’t "get" cream ales. I think I’d rather just have the Carolina roasted corn grits separate from my beer. This tasted like a sweeter pale lager and was very difficult to drink. Sweet corn, sugar, bleh. I don’t much care for this one.