overall

RATINGS: 48   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
vikingguy (839) - Chaska, Minnesota, USA - MAY 9, 2012
Black. Sweet malt aroma. Taste is very rich. Notes of dark fruit, chocolate and coffee. Also some alcohol. Thick and full bodied. This was pretty good but so rich I couldn’t drink it all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 14, 2012
The coffee in this is very well balanced, and actually could be a little more forward for my taste. Very smooth, easy drinking, with a rich, rounded profile and a somewhat less-than-over-the-top palate. (on tap at the Muddy Pig, St. Paul, MN)

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
DasBierChef (1083) - Hudson, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 29, 2012
Had this at the Dabbler yesterday. I prefer Adversary in its stock form as this has too much coffee for my own taste, but still nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Tripplebrew (778) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - APR 16, 2010
Pours a dark, opaque espresso brown with no head. Aroma is strong mix of nuts and dark coffee. Flavor is a rich frothy coffee (dark roast) with almond essence. Body is creamy with light carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
joechristenson (149) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2010
On tap at Sweeney’s in St. Paul, MN. After reading the other reviews, i was really excited to give this brew a try (especially after thoroughly enjoying "The Worthy Adversary"). However, I wasn’t as floored as I hoped to be; perhaps I was the victim of a less than stellar batch. I’ll certainly give it another try. Some specifics: Pours dark brown -- definitely looks like a coffee stout! Aroma is very sweet -- I got more chocolate than coffee, and more toffee and sweet malts than I expected. This beer really coats the whole mouth and has a sticky, syrupy molasses quality about it. Way more sweet/milk chocolate than coffee, which was baffling (again, maybe a bad batch?). Some light bitterness makes a gestural attempt at balancing this beer out, but it is overwhelmingly sweet (and I like sweet . . . ). Really intense. Too much overbearing sweetness to be transcendent, though decent and the potential for greatness is there.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
arminjewell (6434) - Hastings, Minnesota, USA - MAR 20, 2010
Pours deep black/brown with huge dark tan head. If you want a coffee stout, this is it. With whole coffee beans in the cask, the beer is literally coffee, with some beer flavor. Aroma is big chocolate and darkly roasted coffee. Taste is like drinking a huge dark roast coffee, with some chocolate, toffee, and a huge bitter finish from the coffee. Easily the best coffee stout I’ve ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
BVery (6980) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 20, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 30, 2013 Cask. Dark brown pour with minimal head. Huge coffee nose and taste. Some chocolate on taste as well. Body semi-thin.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
sbroome (149) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 10, 2010
I said it last night and it wasn’t the beer talking. THIS IS THE BEST COFFEE STOUT I HAVE EVER HAD, HANDS DOWN! And being this is my favorite style, I’ve had a lot of them. Served from cask last evening at the Beer & Beast at Acadia Cafe. Smoked duck was great, this beer was even better. Pours black with oily tan head. Nose is heavy espresso and almost a pine scent. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and dense, like a good Imp Stout should be. Taste. Taste is amazing. Complex and layered with big espresso off the bat, fading to roasted malts and a hint of vanilla and ending with a little dryness. The brewers were there and were delightfully friendly chaps that make me happy to be a part of the Twin Cities craft beer scene. I cannot wait until Firkin Fest to have some of the last cask of this amazing beer. Cheers.