overall

RATINGS: 47   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
camborne (656) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - MAR 3, 2013
Nice mocha nose. Flavor follows suit with added coffee and bitter sweet chocolate. More drinkable now then worthy adversary. Will cellar and check out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Nsanders (567) - St Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 2, 2014
Tap at Pizza Luce. Black with a thin light brown head. Rich malts, milk, alcohol and light roasted coffee. Taste has a malty sweetness followed with a light dry coffee bitterness. Body is lighter for an imperial stout with a bubbly water feel.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
burgy (455) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - MAR 24, 2013
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2013 Freaking love this beer! Lots of heavy coffee aromas up front with a mild finishing of alcohol. Nice caramel and mild roasted malt and solid creamy palate! (Best on Tap!)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
sbroome (149) - Burnsville, Minnesota, USA - MAR 10, 2010
I said it last night and it wasn’t the beer talking. THIS IS THE BEST COFFEE STOUT I HAVE EVER HAD, HANDS DOWN! And being this is my favorite style, I’ve had a lot of them. Served from cask last evening at the Beer & Beast at Acadia Cafe. Smoked duck was great, this beer was even better. Pours black with oily tan head. Nose is heavy espresso and almost a pine scent. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and dense, like a good Imp Stout should be. Taste. Taste is amazing. Complex and layered with big espresso off the bat, fading to roasted malts and a hint of vanilla and ending with a little dryness. The brewers were there and were delightfully friendly chaps that make me happy to be a part of the Twin Cities craft beer scene. I cannot wait until Firkin Fest to have some of the last cask of this amazing beer. Cheers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
joechristenson (149) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 26, 2010
On tap at Sweeney’s in St. Paul, MN. After reading the other reviews, i was really excited to give this brew a try (especially after thoroughly enjoying "The Worthy Adversary"). However, I wasn’t as floored as I hoped to be; perhaps I was the victim of a less than stellar batch. I’ll certainly give it another try. Some specifics: Pours dark brown -- definitely looks like a coffee stout! Aroma is very sweet -- I got more chocolate than coffee, and more toffee and sweet malts than I expected. This beer really coats the whole mouth and has a sticky, syrupy molasses quality about it. Way more sweet/milk chocolate than coffee, which was baffling (again, maybe a bad batch?). Some light bitterness makes a gestural attempt at balancing this beer out, but it is overwhelmingly sweet (and I like sweet . . . ). Really intense. Too much overbearing sweetness to be transcendent, though decent and the potential for greatness is there.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
trail_and_ale (43) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - JUN 17, 2014
This was stashed in my fridge, while I read Tolstoy’s classic. I saved it as a reward for finishing the book, but as usual with Fulton beers purchased from retail outlets, it was a disappointment. Nothing special about this product at all, but like Natasha Rostov tending to Prince Andrey after the Battle of Borodino, I stayed with it to the bitter end (no pun intended). OK, I’ll give the color and head decent reviews. My opinion of Fulton product remains unchanged: not worth a penny out of the bottle, but worth every penny when purchased from it’s tap room outside Target Field.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
Kashdonkey (6) - New Hope, Minnesota, USA - MAY 27, 2012 does not count
Had on tap at Bryant Lake Bowl.. really helped take the edge off after work. I picked up more chocolate than others based on past reviews. Texture had good balance with slight creaminess. Good job Fulton.