overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.61   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Our goal at Funkwerks is to make good beer for our customers. Our intention was not to disrespect the Māori people or their culture in naming our Māori King beer. Out of respect, we are re-branding this beer as Tropic King. This is our new Imperial Saison! Bursting with a lot of fruity tropical characteristics of passionfruit, mango, and peach from the New Zealand Rakau hops we used. Combined with the pepper and Ginger flavors produced by our house yeast, this is a flavor extravaganza.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
kcorum10 (325) - Arizona, USA - SEP 4, 2013
I was expecting some tropical fruit flavors like the label suggests, but got mostly saison flavors of pepper, yeast, and some ginger. Not quite what I was expecting..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
beerbastard (679) - Mesa, Arizona, USA - AUG 31, 2013
750ml bottle, Hazy orange, big head. Malty citrus nose. Tropic is misleading, iím not getting pineaple and mango. Very good flavors, slight amount of funk and tart. mostly citrus. Great mouthfeel. This is a good example of what I think a Saison should be. Thanks Mark for the Birthday present. I pick up some grapefruit in the back ground. I will get more!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
naushoots (15) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 29, 2013
Nice beer. On tap at falling rock. Pours nice and copper with light lacing and head. Smells fruity and tastes nice and balanced. Banana biscuit Nice beer

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ineedbeer (697) - Oakland, California, USA - AUG 28, 2013
Aroma is fairly fruity with some pineapple, pear, citrus and overripe tropical fruit. No discernable hop aroma. Phenolics are moderate with a decent amount of pepper. Pours a hazy, pale golden orange with a huge, pillowy, slightly off white head with average retention and moderately high lacing. Flavor starts with a bit of a stale malt character which could be a result of the bottleís age. Some tropical fruit, pear, and a fairly large amount of red apple cider. Medium low bitterness without a discernable hop flavor either. Lower phenolics than in the aroma. Finish has hints of tropical fruit, pear and ginger along with a hint of citrus. Fairly dry finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium high to high carbonation. Low but present astringency and medium low alcohol warmth. Overall not the most amazing saison in the world. This beer was two years old when it caught my attention in my cellar. It is not nearly as fruity as the label made it out to be and the malt was stale; I hope both of those were due to the age. Having said that I still wonder whether this would be a top notch saison when fresh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dcschiller (2207) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 17, 2013
On tap at Fate. Pours a hazy orange with an off-white head. Aroma has mostly bizarre butterscotch disk and a bit of vegetal. This was not diacetyl or apparently infected from what I, or the other person sitting next to me could tell. Thick in the body and a touch sweet. Didnít are for this much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Ernesto987 (3651) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 9, 2013
Thanks to Aaron, thanks man!!! Great tropical flavors, very malty though, plis malts are pretty heavy, Hopefully I didnít wait too long

dimenhetfield (2487) - , Florida, USA - JUL 27, 2013
On draft at Falling Rock Tap House. This has a nice lemon zest to it, along with a subtle funk. Flavor is somewhat tangy but more or less geared around the lemon/fruit/yeast.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (4667) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 24, 2013
Bottle: Poured a cloudy beige color ale with a large dirty white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of spicy ginger notes with rustic malt and fruity zesty hops. Taste is a great mix between some rustic malt with quite dry aftertaste and some spicy ginger notes with some fruity and zesty hops. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation. I really enjoyed this beer but I would have personally prefer less ginger.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jkwood04 (3848) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 21, 2013
750ml bottle in a tulip. Pours amber with a lacy, cream-colored head. Aroma of citrusy and floral hops, spicy yeast and light fruits, plus some pale and caramel malts. Flavor the same with a nice blend of everything. Average texture. A pretty good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
chacobella (44) - Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2013
Enjoyed draft from west flanders on the pearl st mall with a bleu peppercorn burger with bacon and onion crisps...Perfect pairing!