Gales Prize Old Ale (1920s - 2006)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Gales
Style: Old Ale
Horndean, England

RATINGS: 636   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle Conditioned. 275ml bottle. Corked.
Ingredients: Maris Otter and minute amounts of black malt and brewing sugar; Fuggles, Goldings and Challenger.
Matured for 12 months in wooden casks.
It is reddish in color with hops and apple fruit on the nose, spicy and malty in the mouth, and a dry, even tart fruity finish with hints of raisins and apple.
The slow work of the yeast in the bottle may increase the alcohol content to 12% or even more. After several years of aging Prize Old Ale gains a more complex palate with Calvados like character. It is said that Prize Old Ale is at its best after 20 years of maturing.
Bottled as Milestones Pale Ale to celebrate the opening of the Milestones Museum.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2005 On draught at the Moan & Dove Amherst, MA; ’98 Vintage: Well, I’m actually impressed by this brew. Perhaps its cuz its on draught, or perhaps its older, who knows. Murky brownish black looking colour. Nose is mostly dark malts, a little fruity. With warmth this beer becomes oh so seductive. Sweet with tons of dark fruit, cherries are a prominant flavor on the palate. Big malts, medium to full bodied, kinda chewy. Finishes dry and acidic. I love this stuff, and I recommend finding it on draught if u can! I got a few ’98 bottles, when I crack one, Ill add some comments here. Ive added bottles from ’96 through ’02 to my cellar and I drink one now and again as this has become a favorite of mine over time. The older the better in my opinion. I just poured an ’01 and its great as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2003 2001 Bottle: Great sour malt nose. No head whatsoever. Some chocolate covered cherry smell as well. Tastes like a glass of wine. It warms you as it goes down. Maybe I opened it too soon. I suppose I should have aged it a couple of years. No hops at all in this beer, or at least I can't taste them. A good and interesting beer, I have never had anything quite like it. No carbonation either.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SilkTork (5398) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - JAN 18, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 16, 2013 April, 2003 Now that Thomas Hardy’s Ale is no longer made, this is the beer to get hold of. Dark, rich and very complex. This is an Old Ale of immense character. Has the ability to be laid down for many years. Deserves a spanking review of epic proportions, but all I can muster is: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! A private moment of trembling pleasure. [4.2]
Feb, 2012 Chris O’s FullersGales Tasting. 1996 vintage. Milky baby vomit. Opal fruits. Apricots. Pistachio. Flavour is muddled and unsatisfactory. [3.1]
Feb, 2012 Chris O’s FullersGales Tasting. 2006 vintage. Bottom of bottle: yeasty and muddled. Top of bottle: wonderful soft toffee, warm and tasty. Rate for the beer that wasn’t messed up with the yeasty dregs: [4.1]

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - JAN 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2007 1996. Pleasing to look at, yet need a whole night to ingest true flavor. Soft undertones makes it irresistable, yet very comfortable. Impossible to stop at one. A drink to stay home for; definately a prize--rerated now that my pallete is use to partaking in better fine beers. I recollect on this one often while tasting, so it must be more memorable than my rating reflected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 #700. 1996 bottle. Not the easy beer to drink, or wait, maybe it is. Delightful...begs out for leather chairs and dusty rooms and overcooked vegetables...all things English. Incredible sour black cherry flavors. Delicious. Musty. Prized. Rubenesque.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crit (3534) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 7, 2003
No head, visually unappealing. Great malt nose. Complex fruity dry malt flavor. This is a good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5532) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JAN 6, 2003
This was different. I had a 2001 vintage. I know, I know. I should have waited to taste it. It has a dark brown color to it. The taste reminded me of a bitter or sour apple. It seemed kind of smooth on the palate but was very bitter. I don’t know how aged bottles taste, but this wasn’t as overpowering as I hoped. I have another bottle that I will definitely age for several years before drinking and then re-rate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 28, 2002
I tried a 1998 bottling in early 2002. This is one of the beers that put me onto "big" beers and unusual styles. It looks like very old, used motor oil. Opaque brown, no head to speak of, and not much carbonation. Spectacular flavor, unhindered by effervescence, so smooth everything melds together into an almost wine-like quality. Body is very big, with rich maltiness and a subtle british hopping within. What an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 27, 2002
My liquor store just started carrying this, and I am glad. I have looked for this brew for a while and I am very pleased with it. Great flavor, my bottle was a 97, and It added to the quailty of this ale. Two thumbs up!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sleepdirt (169) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 23, 2002
Similiar to wine at first,very tart citrus start--grainy aftertaste. I like Belgian triple better.