Gales Prize Old Ale (1920s - 2006)

(RETIRED)
overall
Formerly brewed at Gales
Style: Old Ale
Horndean, England

RATINGS: 633   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle Conditioned. 275ml bottle. Corked.
Ingredients: Maris Otter and minute amounts of black malt and brewing sugar; Fuggles, Goldings and Challenger.
Matured for 12 months in wooden casks.
It is reddish in color with hops and apple fruit on the nose, spicy and malty in the mouth, and a dry, even tart fruity finish with hints of raisins and apple.
The slow work of the yeast in the bottle may increase the alcohol content to 12% or even more. After several years of aging Prize Old Ale gains a more complex palate with Calvados like character. It is said that Prize Old Ale is at its best after 20 years of maturing.
Bottled as Milestones Pale Ale to celebrate the opening of the Milestones Museum.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - JAN 11, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2007 1996. Pleasing to look at, yet need a whole night to ingest true flavor. Soft undertones makes it irresistable, yet very comfortable. Impossible to stop at one. A drink to stay home for; definately a prize--rerated now that my pallete is use to partaking in better fine beers. I recollect on this one often while tasting, so it must be more memorable than my rating reflected.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2004 #700. 1996 bottle. Not the easy beer to drink, or wait, maybe it is. Delightful...begs out for leather chairs and dusty rooms and overcooked vegetables...all things English. Incredible sour black cherry flavors. Delicious. Musty. Prized. Rubenesque.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crit (3393) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - JAN 7, 2003
No head, visually unappealing. Great malt nose. Complex fruity dry malt flavor. This is a good one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheBeerGod (5336) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - JAN 6, 2003
This was different. I had a 2001 vintage. I know, I know. I should have waited to taste it. It has a dark brown color to it. The taste reminded me of a bitter or sour apple. It seemed kind of smooth on the palate but was very bitter. I don’t know how aged bottles taste, but this wasn’t as overpowering as I hoped. I have another bottle that I will definitely age for several years before drinking and then re-rate.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 28, 2002
I tried a 1998 bottling in early 2002. This is one of the beers that put me onto "big" beers and unusual styles. It looks like very old, used motor oil. Opaque brown, no head to speak of, and not much carbonation. Spectacular flavor, unhindered by effervescence, so smooth everything melds together into an almost wine-like quality. Body is very big, with rich maltiness and a subtle british hopping within. What an amazing beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Trappist (284) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 27, 2002
My liquor store just started carrying this, and I am glad. I have looked for this brew for a while and I am very pleased with it. Great flavor, my bottle was a 97, and It added to the quailty of this ale. Two thumbs up!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
sleepdirt (169) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 23, 2002
Similiar to wine at first,very tart citrus start--grainy aftertaste. I like Belgian triple better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Hoss (607) - Florida, USA - DEC 21, 2002
Complex and yet simple, It had a slightly bitter finish with a middle strength body.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CaptainCougar (7132) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2002
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2003 1997 Vintage (8,3,8,4,15): Pours a dark brown with absolutely no carbonation. The aroma is of soy and caramel. The onset of flavor is watery, but gets more complex toward the finish. It has an interesting oily mouthfeel with sherry-like characteristics. A slightly malty, oaky palate and sour notes contribute to a lightly bitter caramel malt finish. The oldest beer I have ever tried, and I just bought it. Not exceptional, but worth having at least once. Re-rate 1999 vintage (7,3,7,4,15): Much like the first with a sweet and mellow caramel malt aroma. Glowing copper ruby with strands of bubbles. Body is thicker than the '97 and a little sweeter, but not as complex.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drinkingdan (375) - East Norriton, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 27, 2002
Smelled like wine and even tasted like it too. I thought it was very different and worht the try.