Gales Prize Old Ale (1920s - 2006)

overall
Formerly brewed at Gales
Style: Old Ale
Horndean, England

RATINGS: 654   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Bottle Conditioned. 275ml bottle. Corked.
Ingredients: Maris Otter and minute amounts of black malt and brewing sugar; Fuggles, Goldings and Challenger.
Matured for 12 months in wooden casks.
It is reddish in color with hops and apple fruit on the nose, spicy and malty in the mouth, and a dry, even tart fruity finish with hints of raisins and apple.
The slow work of the yeast in the bottle may increase the alcohol content to 12% or even more. After several years of aging Prize Old Ale gains a more complex palate with Calvados like character. It is said that Prize Old Ale is at its best after 20 years of maturing.
Bottled as Milestones Pale Ale to celebrate the opening of the Milestones Museum.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
clvand0 (350) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - MAR 19, 2003
This beer pours with no head because there is no carbonation - it is corked instead of sealed with a cap. The aroma has a bit of cherries or grapes in it. The taste was that of a very watered down version of a dark polish beer. I did not like this beer as it was a whole lot like whine mixed with bourbon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Sampled a 1997 bottle and 1998 on draft. Pours deep red and mostly lifeless (more head from cask than from bottle). Bottle had some sour cherry flavors at the back that the cask version didn't. Lot's of black pepper and spices in this. Palate was very vinous. Finish was dry and very rough on the tongue like a whiskey. I liked it a lot, but would hesitate to have it again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 14, 2003
Whether it is supposed to be a flat beer or not, I haven't determined, but it takes away from the palate immensely. Very vinous, unfortunately, like bad, flavorless wine. I wonder if this isn't a bad bottle. Grapey flavor, somewhat malty aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
notalush (5728) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAR 14, 2003
ZERO carbonation. Looks very murky. Not very inviting. Pleasant aroma of molassas and brown sugar. Taste is very vinous. Slight bitterness up front with some caramel, vanilla extract and plums later on. Flavors continue in a somewhat long finish. Slight maltiness. Complex and VERY wine like. Not sure if it works for me, though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JasonG (776) - Salt Lake City, Utah, USA - MAR 5, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 10, 2003 1998 draft: Dark red in color, w/ very mall tan head. Red wine aroma, malty, slightly sweet. Flavor is dry, slightly sweet finish, with vanilla and caramel notes. Rather carbonated, with a slight bitterness at the finish. It seems that the aging has helped to balance the flavor, as the alcohol is not quite as pronounced as in the '01. 2001 bottle: Pours a brownish/amber color, with just a slight lacing of head. Aroma had slight citrus notes, with malt and caramel present, and maybe a bit salty as well. Flavor had roasted malts and caramel, with just a hint of bitterness at the finish. Very smooth overall and well balanced. I thought this was quite a good ale, with a complex aroma and flavor. Alcohol was definitely present in the aroma and flavor, but was well balanced and did not dominate the other flavors. I admit this does have lots of wine character, but that doesn't make it bad in my opinion. I really enjoyed this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
redlem (1306) - Ohio, USA - FEB 26, 2003
1996,bottle 2919. A muddy brown beer with no head. Port wine aroma, fruits, alcohol. At the tip of the tongue it is sweet which turns to bitterness on the sides and back of the tongue with an almost smokey aftertaste. This is too wine like for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
BeerPrince (1701) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - FEB 26, 2003
2001 Bottle: Pours like wine, looks like and in fact tastes a lot like wine. My feelings are mixed over this beer as I enjoy wine but feel this beer is not a true beer, or is it just good beer? Either way, the appearance is crap but the taste is complex and fruity with a beautiful dry finish. Downfall to me is the price, 5 bucks CDN for 275ml, that is high!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
eczematic (1325) - Adelaide, AUSTRALIA - FEB 22, 2003
Not sure what to make of this one. It's not very beery at all. Flat, red-brown. Deep, powerful, sweet dried apple flavour, with a weird acidity. Very winey - similar to Old Suffolk. Dunno whether I like it. Obviously quality, but quality what??

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 13, 2003
UPDATED: MAY 28, 2005 On draught at the Moan & Dove Amherst, MA; ’98 Vintage: Well, I’m actually impressed by this brew. Perhaps its cuz its on draught, or perhaps its older, who knows. Murky brownish black looking colour. Nose is mostly dark malts, a little fruity. With warmth this beer becomes oh so seductive. Sweet with tons of dark fruit, cherries are a prominant flavor on the palate. Big malts, medium to full bodied, kinda chewy. Finishes dry and acidic. I love this stuff, and I recommend finding it on draught if u can! I got a few ’98 bottles, when I crack one, Ill add some comments here. Ive added bottles from ’96 through ’02 to my cellar and I drink one now and again as this has become a favorite of mine over time. The older the better in my opinion. I just poured an ’01 and its great as well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - FEB 12, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 3, 2003 2001 Bottle: Great sour malt nose. No head whatsoever. Some chocolate covered cherry smell as well. Tastes like a glass of wine. It warms you as it goes down. Maybe I opened it too soon. I suppose I should have aged it a couple of years. No hops at all in this beer, or at least I can't taste them. A good and interesting beer, I have never had anything quite like it. No carbonation either.