Gänstaller Bräu Zoigl
Brewed by Gänstaller Bräu
Style: Zwickel/Keller/Landbier
Hallerndorf, Germany

RATINGS: 87   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Note: physically brewed at Trabelsdorf until Dec 2010.

Ernest (6143) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 16, 2011
Draft in Strassgiech. Head is initially large, frothy/creamy, white, fully lasting. Body is hazy dark yellow. Aroma is moderately malty (toasted grain), moderately hoppy (flowers, herbs), with notes of honey and tangerine nectar. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly bitter. Finish is lightly to moderately sweet, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, velvety texture, lively carbonation. Yep, 5.0. First 5.0 in seemingly forever. I had a bunch of dreadful-to-lukewarm beers in Franconia on this recent trip (and certainly some good ones too), but this one blew me out of the water. Utterly and completely. I’d even forgotten what a 5.0 experience is like. People who know me know I don’t get excited very much. Even 4.0 beers scarcely elicit a smile. This thing had me shouting, writhing, bouncing, grinning, beaming, dancing, and generally behaving like a moron. Every time I went back for a sniff and a sip, I was transported to a sort of beer nirvana...a state free of flaws and full of pure delight. 500mL of this and every single drop was ecstasy. I highly doubt anyone else will have a 5.0 experience with this beer, maybe not even a 4.0. A 5.0 is one of those situations that’s as much (or more) visceral than clinical. Yes, the appearance, aroma, flavor levels/balance, and mouthfeel all have to be astounding and flawless, which is rare enough by itself. But beyond that, it also has to ROCK YOUR FUCKING WORLD in a way that defies descriptors. This did all of that. If I had it again, would it still be a 5.0? Maybe, maybe not. Andreas himself wasn’t completely satisfied with this batch and claimed he had a new one going that was more hoppy...so I’ll probably never have this incarnation again anyway. Regardless, this was one of the best beers I’ve had in my life.

Manybells (3) - Waddinxveen, NETHERLANDS - DEC 20, 2011 does not count
The best Zoiglbeer i ever drink. Very smooth, very balanced and easy drinking. Good ingredients meets a good brewmaster. Drink and enjoy no more to say.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
flavio_b (277) - ROME, ITALY - JAN 4, 2011
Since I am a very German Pils lover, I can’t say nothing bad about this beer. The taste is not to much bitter, very thirst quenching and if served at the right temperature is something very delicious. I think this beer should be present wherever you go, as regard places selling handcraft beers because of its simplicity and easy to drink. The body, is all in all light, when the carbonation is rather soft. I appreciate it very much.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
TAR (2435) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Draught in Strassgiech: Golden orange. Stiff, everlasting spackle foam. Charmingly rustic nose of cotton candy, orange marmalade, dusty yeast, peach fuzz and lemon rind. Fine, feathery, tiny-bubbled carbonation; much akin to a pristinely-conditioned cask ale. Initially hop-drenched with a captivating tandem of floral nectar and spicy nobles. Scratchy whispers of sprucelike hops produce a minty glow as ample licorice-tinged bitterness intensifies and accentuates the deeply flavorsome hops. Mild black-pepper tingle exudes as well. The resounding brightness and masterful cleanness on display here is simply unmatched. Hops continue to dazzle and transcend as the palate receives a bathing of fresh flowers and ever so delicate orange-blossom nectar. Simply an otherworldly hop profile. Nary a trace of bitterness to be detected, for this is ALL about the delicacy and coaxing every last nuance from the cone. The center boasts a marmalade fullness, giving the perception of residual sugar, which gracefully coalesces with the honey-drizzled toasty malt. Ghostlike malt has the weight of dust, yet somehow is beyond vivid and flavorful. Closes with breathtaking balance and finesse, as a dry, deep-rooted toastiness continues alongside the explosive nectar-filled hops. This is one of those rare moments where paralysis is induced through a seemingly dreamlike experience. A downright magnificent achievement in the field of brewing, and an absolutely superlative creation that has opened my eyes to the limitless potential beer holds.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
3fourths (7859) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - DEC 2, 2011
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2013 draft at the zoiglstube. normally on every friday but the friday i show up, but pulled from a keg in the back by Andreas. hugely hoppy nose: prickly, green, grassy, zesty. yeast must, hop oils, honey biscuit malt, fruity orange, lemon and melon notes, zingy green hop flavor. honey biscuits and just-toasted grains... wow. it’s musty but completely soft; rustic and yeasty with noble hops as bright as they have ever been. floral yogurt is there at times with zingy, bright acid and bitterness, neither of which even approach brash or harsh or excessively out of balance. I want to be a critic and find something about this I don’t like but it’s very difficult. I could maybe give this anywhere between a 4.4 to 4.8, but in that range you can’t pick apart what separates one from another, rather for me it’s about where it ranks in your beer drinking life experiences. that said, this has to be the best zoiglbier in Germany. I went into this with TAR and Ernest’s impressions fresh and I’m always careful to be aware of bais from that sort of exposure, and usually I’m more of a critic if other folks recently have "wow" moments with something, but this really is it. I’ve been through Bavaria twice before this trip and I’ve been trying as much zoigl as I can, and this one is otherworldly.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
obirt2000 (4) - Notaresco, ITALY - NOV 5, 2012 does not count
Per me di sicuro la migliore keller in circolazione . manca qualcosina al naso ma gia dal primo assaggio capisci che è una birra con tanto carattere .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
hirigalzkar (2228) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 8, 2013
Draught @ Akkurat. Pours orange with a big white head. This beer is just great! Its has a very fruity base... apricots, orange. The malts taste like cereal. The hops are flowery and herbal. Bitter and slightly spiced/smoked finish. Quite dry in aftertaste. Everything is in perfect balance!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
EithCubes (4702) - New Jersey, USA - JUN 11, 2012
Tap in Straßgiech at the Zoiglstube, 0,5L for only €2. Lightly hazy but glowing golden with a lacing bright white head, instantly recognized as gorgeous. Very sweet fruity nose, this is amazing, various melons, strawberry, kiwi, grapefruit, pineapple, wow. In the mouth, a firm bitterness to best many IPAs, keeps its sweet fruitiness. The fruit rind with light astringency reminds me of the Obstsalat I had this morning. Smooth and malty fullish body. One of the best lagers I’ve had, period, and I have little doubt I could drink this every day for the rest of my life. Incredible.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
TwoSipDip (8894) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 30, 2012
Tasted at the brewery with Andreas. Cloudy yellow orange appearance with a big white head. Big yeasty/bready, light citrusy, huge floral hoppy aroma. Lightly toasted cracker, bready grainy, chewy malty, lemon citrusy flavor. One of the finest German beers I’ve ever tasted. BRAVO.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerlover73 (1) - Marseille, FRANCE - OCT 5, 2009 does not count
Drunk there in the biergarten a really good beer, even if an "easy" one, or better just because of it.