Garage Project Chateau Aro

Brewed by Garage Project
Style: Fruit Beer/Radler
Wellington, New Zealand
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 6   MEAN: 3.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.23   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
’Never mix grape and grain’ - we’re breaking the cardinal rule again for our second grape harvest beer. Chataeu Aro a dark rubescent lager conditioned on the freshly crushed juice and skins of pinot noir grapes from the award winning Escaroment Winery. And the result of this unholy union? Rich, complex and surprising. Remember, beer then wine, you’ll be fine.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MartinT (8024) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 18, 2014
My Bottom Line:
Black pepper, earth and black grapes coalesce over this creative crew’s enjoyable bitterness.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A sheet of foam tops the deep chestnut brown.
-Alcohol is well hidden.
-The mouthfeel is once again silky, a recurring theme in what I know of their lineup so far.
-The flavor profile is cohesive.

Bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
omega (712) - NEW ZEALAND - AUG 1, 2014
A lovely beer that has charm and character. Dare I say a lager that I like? The addition of the noir from Escarpment (one of NZ finest) makes this a beer to savour.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Pdubyah (410) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 27, 2014
ok, I thought this started off really strongly and then didn’t have the legs to carry it. But it is a nicely mellow and enjoyable beer that is neither sharp or bitter, neither is it too sweet or cloying. I don’t know what a wine drinker would think of this. Overall it’s enjoyable and makes a really pleasing change to over-hopped beers that I could be drinking.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jimthechap (1743) - Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 26, 2014
This beer was a surprise and I am pleased to report it was a pleasant surprise. Gorgeous red mahogany colour with a cream coloured head and an aroma of red-grape juiciness. The flavour was dominated by the juiciness of the pinot noir, which was sweetish without being cloying and endearing - like a favourite niece. Not the most lengthy finish, but I would have happily gone back for seconds if time allowed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beer-yum (546) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 17, 2014
Delicious companion brew to their ’white’ Sauvin Nouveau. I prefer the latter myself but would gladly drink this in its stead.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
inceptioj (50) - Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND - JUN 14, 2014
Very nice. Smells slightly fruity but that’s less exciting than the taste. It starts off very beery, dark malt, but sidles quickly into slightly sharp winey fruit, unsurprisingly not unlike a very young pinot noir. The experience ends with chocolate bitterness that lingers amongst the grape. Enjoyable, and not just for the mutant wine-beer value.