overall

RATINGS: 14   MEAN: 2.41/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.52   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Originally brewed in 1997 this beer has been again released in our April 2012 Heritage Collection. This limited edition Spring Heritage Collection variety pack featuring an easy drinking summer beer quality offering. It respresent the rich history of one of America’s most respected breweries. Genesee Summer Brew is a lighter lager with a hint of sweetness; it is 4.8% with 150 calories for 12 oz and has 15.3 grams of carbs.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
cheap (4198) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 15, 2012
Re-released in their 2012 heritage variety pack along with 12 horse and fyfe & drum beer. Drank right out of the twist off stubbly little bottle at slightly less than room temperature. Very nice fresh sweet lager aroma, not cloying at all. Slightly tart initially then it goes into a mild little sweet evolution. Again, not cloying and rather acceptable to most cheap lager lovers. Goodly amount of co2 which makes it more acceptable. A rather mild beer at 4.8%. Good session brew or lawn mower beer, but not sure how many of these in a row I could take. Some citrus or lemon traces in there after a while. Not bad for a cheap beer variety.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
beerbill (3531) - Laurel, New York, USA - JAN 15, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 21, 2006 12 oz. can. You gotta give them points for a great looking can. The beer is not bad either. Typical lager flavored with honey adds some sweetness and makes for an enjoyable summer brew. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen this on the shelves in a couple of years now.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Ron (2680) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 20, 2012
OK, I didn’t just mow the lawn. I pay my kids to do that. But I did clean the deck, wash and wax the car and do some mulching. Then this beer tasted very refreshing. Mild easy to drink Genny with a little lemon? Seemed ok and did the job.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jb (2297) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 5, 2012
Ron gave me a bottle of this re-release. I found it enjoyable. But then I just finished a long shift of volunteering at RIT. Fruity nose. Clear and pale. Body bland but clean, with a bit of grainy heft behind it. No off tastes. Really not bad.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
JFGrind (1859) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 25, 2012
I actually purchased a case of Genesee Summer Brew in the late 90’s and thought it was decent enought to be a yearly seasonal. Genesee became High Falls and this recipe went into the archives. Same fate that fell onto the two beers in the Heritage Pack. Poured contents of the stubble into an old school Schlitz goblet. I fared better than most raters with a thin head throughout sample of this clear golden pale lager. Slight aroma, light on bitterness, some grain and lemon in aftertaste. Hanging in the backyard with an iced cold Summer Brew it’s hard not to like it.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Bif (1556) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 10, 2012
12 oz stubbie from Heritage Collection. Pours a golden color with a decent head that fades to bits of lacing. Aroma of malt sweetness and grain. Very faint hint of hops. Taste of malt sweetness and grain with a bit of citrus way in the background. Mild bitterness and a clean finish. Light body, crisp and a bit refreshing. Easy drinker that goes down easy. best when served cold on a Summer day.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
MacBoost (1399) - Pouring Bus, New York, USA - MAY 21, 2012
Ahh... Now I have tasted the trifecta of the Genesee heritage pack. I present to you the summer brew, in all it’s glory. Pours a clear golden with a head that’s gone instantly. Aroma consists of honey, sweet corn, adjuncts. I have to say, the taste of the first two brews (Fyfe + Drum, 12 Horse) didn’t really exhibit that Genny funk that I have grown use to. This one brings it all home. This brew is loaded with adjuncts, heavy metals, unfiltered water and that good old Rochester, NY shitty quality that some people just can’t get enough of. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people. This is basically regular Genesee beer with a touch of honey to make it even sweeter. No hops present. Is there even any malt in here? I suppose there has to be, although I couldnt pick it out if you held a gun to my head. This beer is bad on so many levels, it’s almost laughably good. So fuck it, I’m giving it a homer score.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Panzuriel (1358) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 25, 2002
Nasty sub-par attempt to ride the coattails of other brewers doing the Summer Beer Thang. Thin, weak, tasting like metal. This beer was bad. You should be glad that they stopped making it I think.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
AskForJenny (1024) - Ontario, New York, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Drain pour from start to finish. I liked the fact HFBC tried to crank out a seasonal, but this was so far off the mark. I hope they keep trying.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
nike (967) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 29, 2012
Thanks to “cheap” for this brew. I always believed that this is probably one of the most underrated breweries in the country. Hey make good tasting domestic brew at better than your average price for them. I didn’t know this was a re- release, but a good clean, crisp beer. Must drink ice cold. I do like these stubby bottles.