overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 65   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.54   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
UDBeernut (1478) - Near Buffalo, New York, USA - DEC 3, 2012
Bottle at BA Buffalo bottleshare. pours dark amber, tan head. nose of chocalate and floral yeast. Taste contiunes same theme. Its seems a bit off if not forced of a combination. Body is medium but chewy at times.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ibrew2or3 (6521) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - DEC 1, 2012
22oz bomber pours a nice and dark brown with mahogany edges and tan head. The modest aroma is sort of cola notes, earthy, sweet malts and a touch of molasses. The taste seems similar with thick maltiness, spicy black licorice and earthy notes. It then slides into a bit of molasses as the finish approaches. Cool stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Shiva109 (2) - USA - NOV 20, 2012 does not count
I like Gigantic so I drank this. This is a battle beer: chocolate and darkness vs Saison and floral citrus things. Who wins? You. I like the immediate look as it flows in the glass. Itís not a violent pour. Coloríís dark, as a black Saison should be. The foam holds on to the side of the glass while the head slowly dissipates into fortune teller symbols. I happened to get Gollum from the Hobbit cartoon this time around. Iíd be happy to see a glass of this anywhere. When I stick my schnozz in it, thereís some chocolaty/nutty thing going on. I refuse to believe chocolate drops its E for the adjective form, but spell check is always right so I look back down at my keyboard in shame. Aroma. The chocolaty/nutty gives way to the Saison that pushes through like a bully. The next few times re re-stuck my schnozz in the glass, I couldnít smell the chocolates anymore. The Saison has taken my noseís lunch money with its florality. These flowers are what youíd expect to see at a Slayer concert though: dark flowers. Iím not sure why anyone would see flowers at a Slayer concert. The nuts and chocolates donít give up entirely, but toward the end of the pint (I know! It should have been a snifter, lay off) they do and the farmhouse smell is quite strong. Taste. Can I end at delicious? Someone posted about the apprehension of the black IPA bleeding into an apprehension for the black Saison, and I was guilty of that too. Looking at my fridge, and Pecan Porter would have been much easier to say yes to, but I do not have a Pecan Porter so I opened this. Plus, Gigantic is rarely wrong. Anyway. The chocolaty/nutty comes out pretty strong in the first rounds. They throw some good weight around, then the bottom drops out and our friend the Farm comes out. The end is kind of dirty like the floor of a barn. Iíve had cheeses that remind me of it. Oh, thereís the nutty chocolate again. Okay, saved. Palate. Itís not a heavy beer though it looks to be. It reminds me soda pop with too much syrup. The texture, not the flavor. Itís good. The lingering after feeling on my tongue is pleasant like a thin syrup. Itís like that feeling of eating a chocolate square. Overall, itís not something I would immediately jump to. After hanging out with it though I realize it has some brains, and thereís quite a bit more excitement than a silky black or a summertime Saison. After completing this bottle, the 7.6% may have crept up on me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
swoopjones (5333) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 17, 2012
Bottle. Black pour. Roast with floral yeast; contraction ? Weird combo. Roasted malts, floral yeast, slight sweet dried fruits. Contrasting a bit but strangely seems to work here. Good to try

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
robforbes (2048) - Bremerton, Washington, USA - NOV 11, 2012
pours a dark brown with a small tan head that dissipates rapidly, and some lacing. smell is of cocoa, hops, dark malt, and wet leaves. taste is dry, chocolate, malt, earth, and a few hops. ends dry and just a tad bitter.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beersearcher (2296) - Glendale, California, USA - OCT 29, 2012
Love the Seibold art on the label. Wary of dark saisons as I am of CDAís. But this really works. Cereal and toast notes in the aroma followed by a lovely light saison taste that is then followed by a roast coffee note. Lovely profession of flavors.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hopscotch (8534) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2012
Bottle... Murky dark-brown ale with a small, creamy, khaki head. Decent retention. The nose is nutty and chocolaty - walnuts stand out. Full-bodied and velvety with soft carbonation. Much like the aroma, the flavor is bittersweet, chocolaty and nutty. Finishes minerally and lightly sweet. Kudos to newcigarz for popping the top on this bottle!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mgermani (1000) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 22, 2012
Pours a pitch black with a thick dark-brown head with decent retention. Black licorice aroma, prunes, pepper, light metallic note. Brown sugar and molasses. Fishermanís friend? More prunes, raisins, what have you, light sourness, hint of alcohol, grapefruity hops. Thin but reasonably creamy body. ABV creeps up on you... very drinkable. Almost like a baltic porter rather than a black saison.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
savnac (2391) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - OCT 21, 2012
22oz bottle. Dark reddish brown with a thick, tan head. Aroma of cocoa, spicy peppercorn, toast and caramel. Flavor is bitter roasty malt, spice and some sweet caramel. Medium to full body with active carbonation. This is a great Belgian style stout, it has a lot going on but all the flavors come together excellently.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bhensonb (10348) - Woodland, California, USA - OCT 10, 2012
Bomber from Malt & Vine. Pours very dark brown with a foamy/creamy dark tan head. Aroma of earthy chocolate. Med body more or less. Flavor is earthy chocolate. A chocolate saison? It sort of fits. Itís dry, dark, tasty. Definitely close to the edge.