overall
Brewed by Takasago Shuzo Sake Co.
Style: Saké - Daiginjo
Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Serve in Guinomi, Masu, Ochoko

RATINGS: 79   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77   EST. CALORIES: 468   ABV: 15.6%
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Nihonshu-do: +3
Seimaibuai: 50%
Notable Facts: Each year, after the temperature drops below 14 fahrenheit, they build an Ice Dome outside near the main kura building. It is basically an igloo inside of which the temperature stays about 28 F, with 90% humidity and no wind The low temperature means "nasty bacteria" cannot survive, and it allows them to make clean, pure, ultra-premium saké. Additionally, they separate the clear saké from the fermenting rice lees not by pressing, but rather by putting it into canvas bags and allowing the saké to drip out slowly overnight, with no pressure at all applied to the mash. The Cadillac of Daiginjo sake is Shizuku-style sake, the equivalent of wine made from free-run juice.

thebaldwizard (1205) - Ohio, USA - JUN 1, 2009
I’m happy to get around to rating this sake, as it was my first really premium sake--and provided a lasting memory for me...

I had a a 750 ml bottle of this big dog and passed it around during a hotel tasting. Most people there didn’t enjoy it, or had already had too much to drink, so it came back to me around 2/3 full I would say. Now this is an expensive bottle, somewhere around $100--so I felt like it must be finished. So I sat there at around midnight or so, on a day in which the drinking had started at approximately 8am--and didn’t stop for more than an hour during dinner--and began to drink the rest of Divine Droplets straight from the bottle.

A beautiful clear body. The flavor was a very light mix of almond extract, honeysuckle and anise. Really clean taste with a nice body. It’s difficult to describe just how light this is, while at the same time having a heavy dose of flavor.

In the end this Daiginjo had its way with me and caused me to pass out sitting up in the bed in a room full of obnoxious drunks. I’m proud to have finished the bottle after such an amazing amount of consumption, and lived to have told the tale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
daknole (9416) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - FEB 25, 2009
Well I must admit that I am not a big sake drinker. I don’t even know where I got the bottle and I didnt finish it. Very, very light yellow pour. In the nose I detected pear and apples. Flavor has some honeydew notes along with some apple...not bad...but what the hell do I know about sake? Not much.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
blutt59 (6028) - Dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 21, 2009
UPDATED: APR 22, 2012 bottle dated 10.07, pinot grigio in color with anise, melon and rice vinegar nose, strong legs, some alcohol, melon rind, tofu, honeycomb

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
mar (4940) - Dallas, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2009
clear pour with a slight yellow tint. nose of pear, apple, berries and some alcohol is starting to come through now that it’s warmed a little. very nice on the palate with a slight fruit flavor. little hot in the finish but overall it’s pretty good stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Crosling (1863) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - DEC 8, 2008
Delicate, but very vibrant aroma. Notes of pear in the flavor. Very clean sake, with excellent purity, but the finish is a bit hot. It’s not my favorite.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beerlando (3342) - Orlando, Florida, USA - OCT 29, 2008
Pours still and crystal clear with a yellowish tint. A swirl of the glass reveals some thin, runny legging. The aroma is a beauty, showing licorice in the forward, followed by notes of mild koji, lemon meringue, cream, and fruity cantaloupe. Flavors are similar, again very licorice driven, with notes of melon liquor, dry koji, and a hint of spiciness on the finish. Some chiffon-like creaminess shines through as well. The palate is silky smooth, creamy, and clean. This paired wonderfully with spicy sushi, and I can see it working well with Thai food also. As daiginjos go, there aren’t many more impressive than this one. Great sake!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
WinoInTraining (109) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - OCT 19, 2008
For all those out there who dont know, drink Sake fresh. It does not age well! This one is prime example. DYCSoccer17 drank this 2.5 yrs after being bought. Whoa baby is that old. A yeat is about all you want to do with something this delicate and subtle. This sake is one of the best out there. If drank young. The epitome of elegant high and sake production.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DYCSoccer17 (3348) - Woodland, California, USA - SEP 23, 2008
This bottle was purchased a couple years ago at Yankee Wine and Spirits in Sturbridge, MA. Now, I do not know how well sake ages, but this is at least 2.5 years old. Aroma has some rice and coconut hints with some light minerals. Not overly aromatic. Transparent yellow-twinged body. Ok legging. No carbonation, but appears viscous. Oily mouthfeel. Late ethanol and rice-like burn. Not overly, harsh, though. Light sweet and sugary flavors to start before the ethanolic booze takes over. I suppose this is good for a sake, but I guess I don’t really understand why this is so much better than some of the other sakes I have had. Certainly not worth the $32 I payed for this thing. Oh well.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
zathrus13 (1721) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - SEP 22, 2008
Pours clear, with a slightly yellowish color. Aroma is floral, kind of green, with honey, fruit, and alcohol. Flavor is fruit, honey, melon, and alcohol. Very smooth. This is my first ’real’ sake, and I am very impressed. This ia amazing. Thanks to Andrew for this bottle.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RichQY (1) - USA - AUG 23, 2008 does not count
Woow, I fell in love with this sake. It actually resembles a renowned Chinese grain alcohol Wu Liang Ye in terms of flavor. Very sweet, extremely smooth, medium body, somewhat short after taste though.