Brewed by Takasago Shuzo Sake Co.
Style: Saké - Daiginjo
Asahikawa-shi, Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan
Serve in Guinomi, Masu, Ochoko

RATINGS: 81   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   EST. CALORIES: 468   ABV: 15.6%
Rice: Yamada Nishiki
Nihonshu-do: +3
Seimaibuai: 50%
Notable Facts: Each year, after the temperature drops below 14 fahrenheit, they build an Ice Dome outside near the main kura building. It is basically an igloo inside of which the temperature stays about 28 F, with 90% humidity and no wind The low temperature means "nasty bacteria" cannot survive, and it allows them to make clean, pure, ultra-premium saké. Additionally, they separate the clear saké from the fermenting rice lees not by pressing, but rather by putting it into canvas bags and allowing the saké to drip out slowly overnight, with no pressure at all applied to the mash. The Cadillac of Daiginjo sake is Shizuku-style sake, the equivalent of wine made from free-run juice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
ABUSEDGOAT (2604) - California, USA - MAR 22, 2007
I know nohting of Sake, I’ve had it 3 times and it was bad each time. My stepfather randomly brings home a bottle of Sake. I look it up, it’s this one! Haha! Not really sure how one is rated but here goes. Pours just like spring water into the glass, there are some legs on the side like wine. Aroma is rice, lighter fruits, alcohol. I wasn’t digging the aroma. The flavor brings these notes together really well, a faint fruity flavor (that I can’t really describe) really shines here with a light body, almost velvety mouthfeel. Surprisingly pleasant, not harsh at all. Alcohol detectable but hard to guess 15%. What a great surprise!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerHawk (1810) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - JAN 28, 2007
Thanks to SpringsLicker for sharing this bottle with us at the Nashville Tasting! My first time with sake and I did not know what to expect. Poured clear as city water (some hints of yellow in it). The aroma was sweet of fruits and floral. The flavor followed the same but with apples in particular standing out in the fruits. Warming throughout but not with a strong alcohol aroma or flavor when cold. As it warmed the alcohol aroma and flavor was more present. Also as it warmed, more and more rice aroma came out. Light body and very dry. Different but I enjoyed it and will try more sake in the future. Thanks Jay!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Suttree (6099) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 20, 2007
Big thanks to Springslicker for saving a taste of this for me. Pours clear with a tint of gold. Smells like grain, with some delicate fruity and floral notes. Velvety smooth palate. Sweet at first, with a hint of, what, honey? vanilla? sunflower? Maybe some anise, too. A whole bunch of intriguing flavors here. Nice stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpringsLicker (3466) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 16, 2007
I found this in Knoxville out at Turkey Creek and took advantage of a 15% off sale that got this down to $67 for a 720ml bottle. Quite worth it for the experience, but at that price, I feel assured that I won’t be developing a Premium Sake habit any time soon. I must admit that I have no guidelines by which to assess this. This pours still, crystal clear with a blush of gold. The aroma and flavor are all about the subtleties here. Faint aroma that teases you into guessing what’s there. For me it was light sugary licorice notes. The alcohol warming comes immediately after the swallow and was only hinted at on the tongue at the very back, just before it went down the throat. The alcohol was unusually pleasant, not burning or uneasy to swallow in any way. But overall, this was very tasty and I was glad to try it. I might pick up a 300 ml bottle once in a great while even though I’m sure the larger bottle was more economical.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
illinismitty (2270) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 14, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2007 Springslicker brought this to the Nashville Tasting. I will admit, that I am not much of a sake expert. Pours clear with yellow hues. Alcohol and rice aroma. Cold, this all alcohol, with some dry sweetnes. As it warmed, i picked up hints of sour apples and flower petals. Peppery alcohol finish that is pleasant and warming, not hot. I guess this is top shelf stuff. But at this price, I will not become a sake geek anytime soon. Thanks Jay for the opportunity to try this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - DEC 1, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 16, 2007 300mL bottle, not cheap. Pours a light straw color; barely a hint of bubbles, which quickly disappear. I’m not entirely sure what to make of the aroma: slightly sweet, slightly hot - definitely flaunts its alcohol; lots of herbs and minerals, hints of grass, hay, berries; slightly floral. Squeaky-clean upfront, leading into a full, viscous mouthfeel: plenty of sugar and an almost honey-tinged, mead-like sweetness; chewy and full-bodied; notes of rice, watered-down berries, and fresh-cut flowers. Very textured palate; lots of things going on here, and the alcohol is well-hidden. The finish is absolutely flooring: this full-bodied brew drops out to the softest finish: cleansing, hints of marshmallow and vanilla, not the slightest bit hot. Like landing on a pillow.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2006
Pour is virtually clear with a slightest yellow hue and leaves beautiful delicate legs...smell is amazingly floral and sweet, but not sticky sweet...coconut, almonds, light sweet fruits...faint wisps of alcohol...delightful slightly thick and full mouthfeel...nice sweet full flavors of nuts, melons, coconut, lavender, flower petals, some faint alcohol in the finish, which otherwise is relatively dry but not overly so the flavor lingers in the mouth for several minutes after...wow...

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
molassesfan (202) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2006
300ml bottle for $31.99 plus tax. Sheesh. But I must say, worth all of it. Off clear color. Aroma of strawberry, kiwi, flowers, and some honeydew. Tastes light and fruity. 15.6% alcohol does show profoundly however; not for the faint of heart. Palate a bit thin and slightly oily, a little astringent, but very good. Lingering warm finish. Amazing sake.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 6, 2006
Slightly yellowed water color. Nice thick legs. Very clean, pleasing aroma. Clean, light taste. Oily texture. Taste fades fast. Fruit, but not fruit. Water, but not water. Malt sweetness, but not malt. Really good overall. Its a shame its so expensive because I like it a lot.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - JAN 29, 2006
Pours clear and crisp in the glass. Smells of sushi rice. Taste is fruity with some ricey elements. I guess I don’t get the whole sake thing since I’m not picking up on any of the aromas/tastes others are.