overall
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Sint Ulriks-Kapelle, Belgium

RATINGS: 1213   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Unfiltered.
De houten ton is een Gallische uitvinding, die gebruikt werd voor het gisten als voor het bewaren van wijn als bier. Ten opzichte van de amforen hadden ze veel voordelen : ze waren lichter, konden een grotere inhoud bevatten, waren minder fragiel en waren ook nog handiger, want men kon ze rollen. De tonnen en pijpen die Breughel schilderde kunnen zo afkomstig zijn uit het tonnenmagazijn van elke Pajottenlandse lambikbrouwer (of daar nog staan ...). Houten tonnen werden algemeen gebruikt tot het begin van de vorige eeuw.

Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 26, 2005
Pours a murky peach. Thin head, great retention. Soft, full aroma of dry and sour cherries. Huge sour taste up front, mellows out and becomes more fruity and dry. Clean, dry feel throughout. Frothy, bubbley mouthfeel. Tangy all over. Finish could be longer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kinnaj15 (275) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAR 25, 2005
Hazy golden with big fast disapearing white head. Big aroma of Brett acording to Engelsman. I don´t know how to describe it but I like it. Big complex taste, citrus and sourness. Soft palate despite the complex soutness. Great beer .

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - MAR 20, 2005
Bottle. Pours a hazy medium amber color. Nice white head fades to a ring somewhat quickly. No lacing. Initially skunky Eurolager aroma slowly evolves into a funky acetic barny and tart aroma. Acetic flavors, drying and tart. Carbonated nicely, spritely and refreshing. Nice

imdownthepub (10468) - Banbury, Oxfordshire, ENGLAND - MAR 15, 2005
Bottled, filtered, 375ml, Aged 2yrs;
Clear as a bell, orangy, large head. Deliberately aged Geueze which still retains the sharp Bitter Lemon characteristic, but is slightly freindlier on the sourness. Pleasant deep bas flavour, malted biscuit with the side of tongue aromatic flavours complementing. A cracking beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
theoryhead (7) - California, USA - MAR 14, 2005 does not count
Okay, I HAVE to say this first. The two people who rated this beer before me have absolutely no idea what a gueuze is supposed to be. Ignore their comments. The beer: Pours with a lemony, slightly hazy color with a small lacy head. Smells of lemon, grapefruit, fresh hay, leather, a hint of tarragon. Wonderful. The taste is a mixture of a very funky, earthy bottom note reminiscent of burnt mushrooms and an explosion at the top of yellow citrus fruit. The finish is amazingly clean. Not quite as funky as 3 Fountains, but much cleaner.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RateandPillage (426) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 13, 2005
Pours slightly hazy orange-gold with thin wispy white head. Tart, grapefruit like aroma. Extremely tart and citrusy in flavor. Little to no sweetness. I’ve tried other Lambics (Kriek and Framboise). This was my first Gueuze and not what I was expecting at all. As far as Lambics go, this is probably pretty good, but I prefer some sweetness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jde123 (764) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 12, 2005
Extreme disappointment does not come close to my analysis of this beer. I did not like this one at all. The aroma that escaped upon pouring reminded me of skunk, not "skunky" in the conventional sense, but the stench one occasionally encounters on extended car trips and someone has hit a skunk. Taste was somewhat better, though still much too sour, somthing like a berliner weisse but with more character. I was not able to finish the bottle. I really hope this was a one time occurance, maybe I got a bad batch, though I doubt I will ever purchase this one again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mkobes (2141) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2005
350 ml bottle from ClarkVV. Thanks. Clear orange in color with a nice thin white head. Sweet and sour like aroma. Citrusy aroma. Palate is smooth. Refreshing beer and very drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2005
350 ml bottle via ClarkVV. Thanks! Clearish orange, thin white head. Sweet and sour aroma and flavor that to me is similar to grapefruit. Extremely smooth palate. Explosive flavors. A little jolly rancher type character. Refreshing and drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BrockLanders (772) - Panama City, Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2005
Didn’t think I’d ever get to try this one. Kudos to my friend Claude who swapped me this one for a bottle of Speedway. Very foamy and overflowed from the bottle a bit. Not too much wasted. Poured an orange gold color with a small white foamy head, with nice lacing. The only surprise about the aroma is how good the vinegar, barnyard, leather, blankety and woodiness smells were. The best of any lambic I’ve tried. Taste is extremely tart, very citrusy, and very good and funky, like my moms old handbag was soaked in it. The sour/tart overtones stay throughout the bottle, and the finish is nice and smooth. We found ourselves smacking our lips big time at the end. Great stuff.