overall
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Sint Ulriks-Kapelle, Belgium

RATINGS: 1293   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Unfiltered.
De houten ton is een Gallische uitvinding, die gebruikt werd voor het gisten als voor het bewaren van wijn als bier. Ten opzichte van de amforen hadden ze veel voordelen : ze waren lichter, konden een grotere inhoud bevatten, waren minder fragiel en waren ook nog handiger, want men kon ze rollen. De tonnen en pijpen die Breughel schilderde kunnen zo afkomstig zijn uit het tonnenmagazijn van elke Pajottenlandse lambikbrouwer (of daar nog staan ...). Houten tonnen werden algemeen gebruikt tot het begin van de vorige eeuw.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Pale copper with disappearing head. Strong sour grapefruit flavor, with some lychee. Minor hay notes, a bit of weak hop bitterness that adds needed balance. Liquidy, astringent. Futile search for complexity. Eat a lychee and suck on a lemon and you’ll get the idea. Not very good, but very strong and worth trying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Dusty deep gold. Nose lightly dark, a bit sour, fruity and tart, kind of smells like vaguely moldy citrus and, in yet another one of those "I never thought I’d say this" moments, I mean that in a good way. Flavor very dry, quick sharp bite of sourness, good farmyard depth to it. Some sour fruitiness, very dusty and musty. Not quite as flavorful as expected, I do enjoy the fact it’s not Cantillon-esque with overpowering sourness, but it’s a bit more subtle than I’d like. Crisp and incredibly dry at the end. Gueueze-wise, really quite incredibly drinkable. I wouldn’t have thought a gueuze could be a session beer, but this is close.

Suttree (5548) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 14, 2006
Cloudy, yellowish orange. Really nice aroma of corn, lemon, cherry and white wine, plus smoke and dust, plus some metallic aroma I can’t quite place. Sour, as one might expect. Flavors of citrus tempered with flint and dust, plus lemonaid and smoke. Really drinkable. Big thanks to Jcapriotti for the trade!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 9, 2006
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 I secured a couple of bottles of this from “From the Vine” in Columbus, Ohio. And after this, I don’t think I like lambic all that well. Not that it’s bad or gross, I just don’t think it does it for me. Anyhow…popped this sucker open and it exploded lambic everywhere. Fortunately I was near the sink and saved my floor…for the most part. Once it stopped, and I was able to get it in a glass, I discovered that it was hazy orange and golden with a nice white head. The aroma was very interesting with sour fruit (cherries), and light barnyard notes. Full and crisp really. The taste was nothing if not sour! Not as sour as La Folie, but pretty darn sour. I also managed to note some finishing tartness, and horse blanket (I think I actually get that description now). Definitely funky. Mouth feel was nice. Smooth, medium body and finish. Interesting, as with most lambics I’ve tried, but this stuff is just not for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
pinkzambia (1693) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 5, 2006
Bottle: What was left of this one after it exploded all over Indiana_Red’s kitchen was delightful. Somebody stop the carbonation quickly. I thought I was at the NBA Finals with Magic Johnson . . . Anyway, it has aromas of dried, sweet apricots, apple cider and plastic. The taste is extremely tart which I like. This is the Sour Patch kids of the beer world. I loved the feel -- it is thin and immediately dissipates after drinking which seems appropriate for this style. Thanks Indiana_Red!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
IndianaRed (2879) - Boise, Idaho, USA - JAN 5, 2006
Bottle Blew its cork and erupted tan foam all over my kitchen. The remaining of the 375ML bottle had very nice cidery aromas of apples, pears ets. Cloudy, orange light tan color.and a short lived lively head. Flavor was the expected dry sour flavor common to the style. I’m afraid a bit too much sediment was in with the last couple ounces in my sampling. A nice tart and, yes, quenching brew. Thanks to Degarth for slipping this top 50 ber in my box today.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
biz82 (1328) - austin, Texas, USA - JAN 5, 2006
A big thanks to Walt for this one. Lively looking ale, hazy and foamy. Clean, sharp, funky horse blanket and yeast aroma with some sour apple. Very quenching and sour. Horsey flavors with some minerals and what reminds me of nopalito(cactus). Very well balanced. Not overly tart or acidic with nice body and carbonation. Excellent.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
kms399 (267) - plymouth, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2005
bottle. pours an orangish golden color. overflowed when i uncorked. huge sour, horseblanket aroma with subtle sweetness hidden in there some where. taste is very bitter and sour with a strong funkiness in it as well. very good but a definate sipper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
sunevdj (3482) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - DEC 28, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 17, 2013 Bottle at home. Pours a clear golden with a small white head. Smells of grain and hints of vinegar. Dry and sweet with a medium sourness. Aromas of grain with appleas and vinegar and hints of sweat. Also aromas of funghi barnyard. Medium to light bodied. High carbonation. Original rating from Dec 2005: Pours a slightly hazy amber with a disappearing white head. Very sour with aromas of vinegar, headache and a hint of apple. Very bitter finish... an upside.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - DEC 24, 2005
One fourth of the bottle was lost in shipping. It appears to have just squeezed out around the cork. The remainder appears unharmed. Beautiful aroma of nectarine, green apple, almond, cherrywood. Appears a hazy unfiltered golden yellow color, with a strong yellow head that dissipates. Flavor is electric, intensely sour, with aprictot and lemon flavors predominant. Palate is medium, effervescent, and appropriate. While not my favorite style of beer, this is a fine example of a geuze, and equal to the sum of its parts.