overall
Style: Lambic Style - Gueuze
Sint Ulriks-Kapelle, Belgium

RATINGS: 1299   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.03   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Unfiltered.
De houten ton is een Gallische uitvinding, die gebruikt werd voor het gisten als voor het bewaren van wijn als bier. Ten opzichte van de amforen hadden ze veel voordelen : ze waren lichter, konden een grotere inhoud bevatten, waren minder fragiel en waren ook nog handiger, want men kon ze rollen. De tonnen en pijpen die Breughel schilderde kunnen zo afkomstig zijn uit het tonnenmagazijn van elke Pajottenlandse lambikbrouwer (of daar nog staan ...). Houten tonnen werden algemeen gebruikt tot het begin van de vorige eeuw.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
harrisoni (15314) - Ashford, Kent, ENGLAND - FEB 7, 2006
UPDATED: JAN 11, 2009 Bottle. Dirty gold colour thickish white head. Farmyardy lemon aroma, some sourness. In mouth fine, with more sour lemon and funkyness. Finish has more of the same. Bit of an aquired taste. Not as extreme as same. Lemony acids balance the funkyness. Fine and quite interesting. Not sure I’d want more than one of these a week though. 3.6/5.0. Re-rate Christmas Day 2008. First beer of the day and what a way to start. So drinkable it is untrue. The farmyard, bretty aroma, the lemon flavours, the mouthfeel is soft and just right with a little fullness from the carbonation. Refreshing. Would have this as my first beer of the day, in the middle and at the end. Almost as good as the bottle at the Waterhuis in Gent pre-Zythos 2008 that is the best I’ve ever had.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Kevster (344) - Bradenton, Florida, USA - FEB 4, 2006
Bottle: Pours a pale copper color with a fizzy white head that sounds like a Cola when settling. If you didn’t know anything about this beer you could tell it was going to be sour by just looking at it through the bottle. The muddy sediment on the bottom of the cork was not appealing. I did enjoy the citrus/apple aroma but found the flavor powerfully sour. To me this beer was too acidic and overrated!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - JAN 31, 2006
I think I was ruined by an old friend of mine. He says he’s got some stuff he wants to bring by, and one of them was this incredible, liquid heaven in a green bottle. This is simply one of the greatest beers I’ve ever had, and look forward to the Cantillon someday. Thanks aspidites!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - JAN 29, 2006
The beer after removing the wire basket and cork from the green 375ml green bottle sets in my glass a beclouded amber color with a voluminous creamy light tan head that lingers long, leaving a thick covering of lace to surround the glass. Nose has a distinct somewhat sweet wet moldy straw aroma, underpinned by a staunch tartness, musty, but still appealing to me; start is first a bit sweet, followed by a massive sourness, with the body light to moderate in feel. Finish has a tongue biting acidity, with the sourness clinging to the palate like Jack Benny to a dime. What a magnificent brew, one I’ve wanted to sample for many years, trust me it was certainly worth the wait.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Siroy (220) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 24, 2006
Bottle in gueuze tasting. To my taste, this is the best example of the style currently available that I’ve had so far. Powerful barnyard/horseblanket, citrus/apple encircled by a dominant hay aroma that welcomes you. In a blink of an eye, you know that you’re in front of something serious. Attack of sharp dustiness but less sourness then the Cantillon gueuze 96. Taste holds for a long period of time in a strong full body that lead to astringency.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Tmoney99 (12036) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 17, 2006
Bottle. Poured a hazy amber color with a large creamy white head that lasted. Good citrus and yeast aroma. Medium body. Moderate sour fruit flavor with a long citrus finish. Very good refreshing citrus brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
rmalloy (199) - los angeles, California, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Pale copper with disappearing head. Strong sour grapefruit flavor, with some lychee. Minor hay notes, a bit of weak hop bitterness that adds needed balance. Liquidy, astringent. Futile search for complexity. Eat a lychee and suck on a lemon and you’ll get the idea. Not very good, but very strong and worth trying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Dusty deep gold. Nose lightly dark, a bit sour, fruity and tart, kind of smells like vaguely moldy citrus and, in yet another one of those "I never thought I’d say this" moments, I mean that in a good way. Flavor very dry, quick sharp bite of sourness, good farmyard depth to it. Some sour fruitiness, very dusty and musty. Not quite as flavorful as expected, I do enjoy the fact it’s not Cantillon-esque with overpowering sourness, but it’s a bit more subtle than I’d like. Crisp and incredibly dry at the end. Gueueze-wise, really quite incredibly drinkable. I wouldn’t have thought a gueuze could be a session beer, but this is close.

Suttree (5579) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 14, 2006
Cloudy, yellowish orange. Really nice aroma of corn, lemon, cherry and white wine, plus smoke and dust, plus some metallic aroma I can’t quite place. Sour, as one might expect. Flavors of citrus tempered with flint and dust, plus lemonaid and smoke. Really drinkable. Big thanks to Jcapriotti for the trade!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - JAN 9, 2006
UPDATED: APR 5, 2006 I secured a couple of bottles of this from “From the Vine” in Columbus, Ohio. And after this, I don’t think I like lambic all that well. Not that it’s bad or gross, I just don’t think it does it for me. Anyhow…popped this sucker open and it exploded lambic everywhere. Fortunately I was near the sink and saved my floor…for the most part. Once it stopped, and I was able to get it in a glass, I discovered that it was hazy orange and golden with a nice white head. The aroma was very interesting with sour fruit (cherries), and light barnyard notes. Full and crisp really. The taste was nothing if not sour! Not as sour as La Folie, but pretty darn sour. I also managed to note some finishing tartness, and horse blanket (I think I actually get that description now). Definitely funky. Mouth feel was nice. Smooth, medium body and finish. Interesting, as with most lambics I’ve tried, but this stuff is just not for me.